Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the thread on the Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Spl has caused the following questions re: the Taurus 445, 2", 5 shot, high polish stainless steel in 99% condition:
First question: I can get it (legally) for $110.00. Is that a good price? Obvious answer is Yes.
Second Question: Is this a quality gun and does anyone have any first hand experience? (Blue Book is only $230.)
Third Question: Is this a good caliber? What is it comparable too.

Thank You

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
1. Yes. Can't go wrong.

2. No first-hand experience with that exact model. I've shot another Taurus five-shot .44 spl (the 420? ???) and thought it was very pleasant to shoot and decently accurate. My experience with Taurus revolvers has been that they can be good and they can be bad (in fit, finish, and function) - however they generally work. They have an excellent warranty repair policy, but I've noted that lately some people have complained about difficulty in dealing with Taurus on such issues.

3. The .44 special is highly regarded by many. A lot of this has to do with the writings of the pushing-the-envelope Elmer Keith back before the .44 mag was brought out. It is certainly a potentially accurate round, but most modern factory ammo is pretty sadly underloaded. It's hard to find and fairly expensive as well.

What's it comparable to? :-/ That's sort of hard to say . . . it's the .44 special! Um, I'd say it's m

G

·
As noted in the other thread, my experience is with a Taurus 431 4" .44 Special 5-shot...no longer made. I have not handled the large bore Taurus snubbies, but as a revolver enthusiast and a proponent of large bore revolvers, I think the Taurus 2" snubby in .44 Special is a great idea. I believe they may also make a similar model in .45 Colt (which I would pass on because the ammunition is significantly more expensive, at least around here) and possibly in .45 ACP as well (which I would be very interested in). Lastly, Taurus makes a 2 1/2" ported 5-shot snubby in .41 mag. I don't think this would be very viable if you were loading the full power hunting load in that gun, but medium velocity .41 mag 170-grain LSWC or 210 JHP or W-W Silvertips would work...

Given my choice, I'd probably go with the .44 Special, to match my 431 and a S&W 624, or I'd go with the .41 mag version to go with my Ruger Redhawk...

Like every other manufacturer (including S&W, Colt, Glock, Kimber, etc), Taurus has had its share of flubbed products. No one can guarantee that your pistol will be trouble-free, but as I stated earlier, I go by experience and my experience with my Taurus 431 has been very positive. The only reason I don't have a Taurus large bore snubby is because I live in California and Taurus has never brought the snubbies here for the idiotic "safety" testing and certification.

Bob

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
FWIW, I've owned a Taurus 415 Ti, the titanium 21-ounce .41 mag snub. It wasn't as unpleasant to shoot as you would think (those "ribber" grips work well, and the porting doesn't hurt), but it wasn't at all pleasant, and follow-up shots? Forget it.

The .44 spl, OTOH, would be a really pleasant gun to shoot. Personally, I'd want to handload for it, though, since the ammo is not cheap.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your thoughts. Erich, thank you for the informative article. Now all I need is a holster.

G

·
I have a stainless 445. It's my fishing pistol. I put it in my fishing box in a safe place. The 44spl is one of my favorite cartridges. I fire them in my 629 Smith. Accuracy is unbelievable. However, handloads provide a better alternative, especially 200gr SWCs.
You will like to pistol.
Indy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts