Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I am a big fan of revolvers. My favorite is SW66. I want to buy a revolver for selfdefence and backup for hunting. My choice is 4" barrel, adjustable rear sights and cal.357 Magnum.
My big problem is the price. In my country (Bulgaria), month salary is in range of 100-150$. I prefer to buy SW66 but it costs twice than a Taurus 66. Are these two guns comparable?

G

·
In my opinion, while Taurus has improved in terms of quality their products definitely aren't as good as a current production S&W. I won't even begin to compare them to Smith & Wessons of the pre-safety lock and MIM era. ::) I've personally handled quite a number of Taurs' snubbies, including the titanium guns and never found one with an action as smooth as either a S&W. Or, for that matter, a Ruger.

Since it sounds like resources will only allow you to buy a small number of firearms, I'd save for a Smith & Wesson. I think you'll be happier all the way around.

G

·
The S&W is the superior of the two, but I wouldn't term the Taurus a "bad" revolver. I do think that the S&W would give yo a better value over the long haul.

G

·
My view of firearms is that you can't base a purchase decision on price alone. Sure it's important but I don't think it can or should be the overriding concern. Barring serious abuse, a quality firearm will outlast its first owner with even a small amount of care. It is an investment. I think it's far better to spend your hard-earned funds on what you can count-on and want than making a lesser choice.

Save your money for a few months and buy the Smith & Wesson. Waiting for it will only make it just that much better once you do have the gun in your hands.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I own one Taurus revolver, a Model 431 in .44 Special. It's been fine, but it's not been shot very much, either. I've tried other Taurus revolvers in the past and my luck was hit or miss: a good one, a not so good, a bad one, a good one, and so forth.

I hate to say it, too, but I'd sure suggest saving for an S&W or a Ruger GP 100. (IF you happen to run across and older S&W, I'd danged sure jomp on it if it's in decent shape.

BEst.

G

·
I have shot both and think BOTH are excellent, but must say i prefer the S&W 66 has a better feel and besides if it was good enough for Bill Jordan its good enough for me

Shutterbug

·
Registered
117 Posts
Like any thing else you can find good and bad.
The Tar-66 is a good handgun, take awhile to smooth out,and handles heavy loads about on par with the Smith,it does have the life time warranty, and they well stand behind it.

Smith-66, about the best stainless smith produced IMO,action smooths up just like the blued-19 and carrys well.

But to tell the truth If I was going to carry it primarly out in the woods, I would go with the Taurus

G

·
The Smith may have a better trigger but the taraus has a better warrenty. You would need to confirm that the warranty will be valid in your country.

My first revolver was a 6" M66. I much later had a new 3" S&W M66. I didn't like the idea that the firing pin was still on the hammer on a new gun. I currently do have an old S&W M13 that lives in my jeep for self defense.

I do think that any manufacturer has guns that are hit or miss. Much depends on how their customer service department handles the "miss" guns.

Overall I think either gun will give you good service. Just double check that you can get support/service if there is any problems.

Steelheart

G

·
I don't see a lifetime warranty as the panacea some do. In my experience with guns, tools and even automobiles advertising extended warranties, the products themselves are usually no better than ones with shorter warranties. It is often a marketing gimmick in my opinion.

As for the subject of Smith & Wesson, I know of people who have sent used guns back for service and only paid the postage to Springfield. S&W will stand behind its products long after the written warranty expires.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well, i have seen S&W's sent back and refused work, and have seen it covered, sent back a Tar 85 the some moron shot a double load in and blew the top strap off of, and they replaced it,with the warning not to shoot handloads. so its a dice game either way.

G

·
Over the years, I have sent several guns to Taurus for repair work with excellent results. The turnaround has averaged three weeks, but the work has been done well. The most recent repair was to correct a bad trigger job by a local gunsmith and Taurus did it for free as normal.

G

·
Your monthly salary is $100-150 (US dollars) per month according to your post(I hope I am understanding correctly).

What is the price of the taurus and S&W 66 (in US dollars) in your country?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,
SW66 costs between 650 and 700 USD. Taurus is cheeper-blue 66 is 400$, stainless is 560$....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts