Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of late I've been plinking with .32 S&W Longs in a S&W 331 .32 Magnum Airlite. They're accurate and recoil, even in an 11 oz. snubby is virtually non-existent. However, I'm having trouble removing lead buildup in the chambers. The manufacturer warns against using abrasive materials, which I assume include a bronze/brass brush, so I'm relegated to a nylon brush and Hoppe's. These won't cut it. Appreciate your suggestions.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I sent this inquiry on to Q & A at the S & W Web site. Their suggestion is to use Nevr-Dull metal polish on the titanium cylinder. If this gets the lead out, I'll be sure to let you know.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Corky,

There's a way that I usually don't post. It has to do with mercury. That's all I will say right now as to the method.

I need to know, before I go further, if you are set up to handle hazmat. I will not be held liable for any accidents or injuries should I proceed with the instructions.

Josh <><

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr. Smith,
I fully understand your sensible reluctance to pass on this information in this context. And I doubt that I am equiped to handle mercury. Many thanks, however.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warning, johnboy 36.

Any opinions, anyone, on using Kleen Bore's Lead Away Gun Cleaning Cloth? Is it too abrasive as well? Might the chemicals with which it is impregnated damage the chambers?

I'm beginning to think that the few ounces difference between the Airweight and Airlite Smiths aren't enough to justify the hassle involved in effectively cleaning the titanium cylinder. My S&W 442, an old friend, has given me good service and rides quite well in a pocket holster.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Corky,

I'm with you...you can't beat the 442. I like the option of using the 158 grain +P loads, which I gather are prohibited in the new metallurgy owing to possible binding of the cylinder.

G

·
corky, i agree the 442 is a very good revolver.my 340sc is for sale its just not worth the hassle. the 340 is very much like my first wife a pain in the neck !!! jonboy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts