Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a sub-compact 9mm with a double-stack magazine ( I already have a Kahr PM9 which is great)

I see Kel Tec mentioned a lot. I seldom see the Taurus PT 111 mentioned. Does anyone know about the quality of these two? Are there fewer Taurus owners?

I see that H&K makes a 3", 9mm sub compact, the P2000 SK. It's pricey, but my P7 always works. Of course the USP Compact is only slightly smaller, but weighs 4oz more. The H&K specs have the smaller P2000SK as being wider than the USP.

All of these pistols weight about 20oz or less. I'm looking for something light.

If you've had any experiences, please share them.
Thanks.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I have grown to dislike "plastic pistols"
:(" title=":mad:" border="0"/> especially the ultra-lite, short ones. Reading about the multitude of problems others have had with these things has made me trade/sell all my "plastic pistols" except the Kahr PM9. I'm now Glockless and KelTekless. Never again!
If you want something ultra-lite then stick with something that has an aircraft aluminum frame.
Plastics have what is called a lower modulus than metal and will warp/bulge/crack easier than metal.
Just my grumpy opinion. Your opinion has all my respect.
og......pm me if you want links to horror stories.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

I would have to strongly agree with OG on this one.

I used to own the Kel Tec P-32 and P-11. Now I have a 2nd Generation P3-AT that has been flawless. I used to be a big poster on the KTOG forum, but became disenchanted with all the gripes and complaints from new owners. It became a littany of "why won't my new gun shoot...and well try these modifications forum".

The bottom line is "you get what you pay for". I really like the KTOG product line and they have great customer service and need great customer service because of the myriad of problems folks have with their new guns. The biggest problem is the fact that many of their owners don't take the time to break in their new handguns or use inexpensive/less than reliable ammunition in guns, i.e. aluminum cased Blazer.

My P-32 would occasionally experience a condition called "rimlock" with cartridges jamming in the magazine and the trigger on the P-11 was just so awful that my shots would drop from the heavy breaking of the trigger pull. Yes, I could overcome it, but it wasn't pleasant to shoot and I like to shoot my handguns! Both conditions can be fixed, but why?

I am not bashing Kel Tec products, they do have their "niche" in the market for those that cannot afford a super expensive, super quality small handgun.

The P3-AT had the best trigger and had the fewest issues with it.

Now, I buy and carry handguns that are completely reliable, work and are dependable. I make no secret that the Smith J-frame has been my best performer to date, is light weight and easy conceal.

I think Kel Tec may have a "home run" with their single stack 9mm if they can keep the trigger light enough to be usable. I would buy a used S&W 3913 before buying one though.

Chris

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a Springfield XD Subcompact in 9 mm. It's certainly not as small as the Kahr P9 I used to have, but it has 10 or 15 round magazines and is very reliable and accurate.

G

·
My experiance with the P-11's has been positive all the way. A first generation and a current model are in the hands of the family and ZERO problems so far, both were broken in with 250 rounds of ball and 50 Speer Gold Dots, the carry choice here as the Sheriff's Department issues them.

The smaller Tauri have been problematical for our shop with quite a few being returned to Taurus for tweaking 2-3 times in some cases and numerous ones being traded back in after a shot period. We no longer stock them and will only get them on order with the caveat that the customer owns it, period. We are a stocking Taurus dealer BTW, but stick with their revolvers and the 92 series of pistols.

YMMV

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone handled or know anything about the Para Hawg. It's a small 1911 with a double-stack mag. It weighs around 24 oz.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts