Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
February 5, 2006
BY mailto:[email protected] FRANK MAIN Crime Reporter

Americans with guns in their cars are more likely to engage in "road rage" than unarmed drivers, according to a new study funded by the Chicago-based Joyce Foundation.

The Harvard School of Public Health surveyed more than 2,400 people who were asked if they carried a gun in their vehicle at least once in the last year.

About 23 percent of those who said "yes" admitted to making obscene gestures while driving -- compared with about 16 percent of those who claimed they never pack a weapon, the study said.

The survey also found 14 percent of those with firearms said they "aggressively followed" other motorists, vs. 8 percent of those without guns.

Tighter restrictions favored

The authors, David Hemenway, Mary Vriniotis and Matthew Miller, acknowledged their survey did not ask whether a gun was in the car at the time the road rage incident happened.

"Despite these limitations, our findings indicate that the same type of individuals who cause most of the road deaths in the United States -- young males, particularly those who smoke, binge drink and have been arrested for non-traffic violations -- are most likely to engage in rude and hostile behaviors on the nation's roads," the authors said. "Road rage may be most dangerous when an enraged motorist has immediate access to a lethal weapon, such as a gun."

Vriniotis told the journal New Scientist that "in the interests of injury and violence prevention, it probably makes more sense to tighten rather than relax restrictions on gun carrying in motor vehicles."

John Lott, a controversial former University of Chicago economist and author of More Guns, Less Crime, scoffed at the study on his Web site. Lott criticized the survey for not asking if the guns were in the cars legally or illegally.

"Permit holders tend to be extremely law-abiding," he said.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
That has got to be bogus. CW carriers are much more polite and smile more. For most, being armed calms you and makes you think.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it comes from Harvard and is being touted as fact by the media but I just found that and thought I'd share

back in the late 1980s I was a bicycle courier in Atlanta..there was a driver who worked for a different company who carried a .357 magnum. He whipped it out in traffic in a "Road Rage" incident and got shot and killed by four gun dealers on their way to a gun show

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Explain to me how one would engage in Road Rage WITHOUT a firearm in their vehicle?
Happens all the time, methods vary from using the vehicle down to and including fisticuffs ball bats, golf clubs ad nauseum.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

In SC, we "have a duty to retreat" from an encounter on a public highway.

Besides, who needs a firearm? You already have the largest and most deadly weapon known to modern man at your disposal. A automobile or truck!

Chris

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Uh, gee, it says here that "young males, particularly those who smoke, binge drink and have been arrested for non-traffic violations." I wonder how many of these young males are carrying guns illegally, and could not, in fact, buy one legally because of prior convictions / indictments?

·
Registered
430 Posts
"Road rage may be most dangerous when an enraged motorist has immediate access to a lethal weapon,"

Like a two ton automobile?

Toss it out. If there is one thing I have learned about surveys, it's that they can be manipulated to say whatever you want. I question the variation of the test subjects, where the tested, when they tested, and why they tested.

-Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why they tested; BINGO!

That's the problem. Nobody does a survey to find out the truth, anymore. The truth is almost always self-evident. The only reason someone ever takes a survey is so they can obtain manipulable statistics, by which to support their position, unless of course that party is taking a survey in order to refute the blatantly erroneous findings of someone using a previous survey to stand in opposition to the truth.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Public Health research these days is just "junk science". A former grad assistant of mine got her Ph.D. in Public Health. She looked at exercise and the elderly to see how the exercise programs effected their quality of life. She could not even find a "standard" defenition of what it ment to finish an exercise program and she look at over 300 "studies" published in the Public Health peer reviewed journals. It looks like they are attempting to discribe the entire world from just a single"fact", even if that fact is not really a fact.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Poppycock! To think one little study in one part of the country should even be considered much less published. I think carrying in your vehicle would tend to stop road rage. That driver might be armed and shoot back. I think 90% of drivers in Southeast Texas have carried in their vehicles just about all their lives, legally or otherwise, and to my knowledge there is little, if any road rage here. Ask Mr. Camp. Being a retired LEO from Texas he may have a better handle on it than just my observations.

Bert

·
Registered
24 Posts
considering the sources it will most certainly be touted as truth in the media

All the more reason to be very suspect. All the legitimate firearms owners I know will not do anything to jeopardize their second amendment rights. They will go out of their way to avoid a confrontation, automobile related or otherwise unless they or their families have been threatened or attacked in a lethal manner. Where is T. Lee's little flag?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts