Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I haven't picked up a copy or gotten mine in the mail yet I have been told that an article that Stephan Camp wrote quite some time back for American Handgunner is in the current issue. It's about the students in the Patriot Class priogram and has a couple of Stephan's asscociates pistols published.

I want to thank Stephan for writing the article and genuinely hope this is the start of something big for him with FMG publications. Get the mag, read the article, and then let the publisher know what you think about Stephan's writing.

Stephan, you going to make the Shot Show this year by chance?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Great to hear!

I'm very much enjoying the three books of his that I've picked up in the last couple of months.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello and thank you very, very much for the kind words. The article was a pleasure to do as I was and am most favorably impressed at the extremely high quality of the pistols I've seen that were done by two members of this site. This was done via Dave Sample's on-line 1911 class in which Mr. Zollo is heavily involved and a key player.

I was privy to the techniques and lessons as taught by the fellows who took the class and wound up with a 6" long slide that continues to serve well, work flawlessly, and is admittedly, pampered; it's used but it is carefully used.

The fellows (close & trusted friends) who built the guns described in the article have since built another gun each and these have been exceptionally fine, too.

(The "elder" friend and I might sound like we're about to get into a fight now and again, but God help the man I happened to see trying to harm him...and I know the reverse is true!)

I believe that the "way" is shown well by Mr. Sample and Mr. Zollo. What one comes up with depends on how closely and carefully a person follows instructions.

I would starve to death at my pace and am no 'smith, but remain very favorably impressed at the guns that I've personally seen and shot that were born of this effort.

Best.

PS: I've not seen the article and hope that after possible editing it still retains the spirit in which it was written. I didn't even know it was going to be coming up until a gentleman emailed me with congratulations!

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Congratulations Mr. Camp,

As for as I'm concerned, ALL the gun magazines should be useing Mr. Camp, and if they did, I would start subscribing to the gun magazines again!

Take Care Mr. Camp & Keep On Writing,
THE SOCKMAN

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congratulations Mr. Camp,

As for as I'm concerned, ALL the gun magazines should be useing Mr. Camp, and if they did, I would start subscribing to the gun magazines again!

Take Care Mr. Camp & Keep On Writing,
THE SOCKMAN
Agreed. I would suggest spreading the word and e-mailing the publisher. Stephan's posts/reviews for the past several years have had more useful information in them than any number of authers I have read in any of the magazines.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I read the article and very much enjoyed it. I've referred a friend to it: he's been looking for something like the Sample/Zollo class for some time. (The Jacobson/Camp class intrigued him, but he wanted to build from the ground up.)

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. The two fellows who are both close friends continue to build their 1911's from the information they got in this class and I benefited greatly from their knowledge and the information provided.

Best.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm new to this forum or shall I say I'm in Stephen's camp now because of the easygoing way he writes & his advise & experience I also like his low key expressions & style. I will be sure to let gun magazines know I would like him to write more for them....8080

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello and thanks very much for the kind words. I pretty much believe that folks can both pass along information as well as learn from others w/o being rude or pushy. I believe that the "Golden Rule" has a place in the written as well as the spoken word.

Best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stephen, earlier this year, on a different site, you submitted a particularly inspirational post about law enforcement. I wanted you to know that your "unpublished" work has been appreciated as well.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

I believe that the "Golden Rule" has a place in the written as well as the spoken word.
I believe that will be the continuing legacy of this forum and all of its members.

I hope your second novel is going well Stephen. I'll be the first to place an order.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello, and thank you all very, very much.

enidpd804: Thanks very much. I've worked with more than a few police officers at local, state, and even federal levels. Most were the "salt of the earth" so to speak. There's always a few rotten apples in every profession and I have personally arrested a couple. Sad, but it is what it is. Still, most that I've met have been fine folks.

Chris Stephens: The second fictional work is slow going. The reason is simple. Most of the publishers want it in considerably shorter length than I did with Paid in Full. I cannot decide what to do; just write it and it goes where it goes and publish myself, which I don't mind at all because I have complete freedom. On the other hand, my "audience" is not so interested in the fictional as they are books on firearms. Sooooooooooo, getting it into bookstores via a publisher with distribution greater than mine might be the best way to go financially. At the same time, I do not want to kick out something that might not be as interesting due to being shortened just to possibly make more money.

Compared to my stuff on firearms, Paid in Full appears to be a financial failure. At the same time, each day and night I cannot help but think of the encounter that must occur between Tauber and Omar. I also have some plans for some "MS13" types who pull the wrong tiger's tale...and I'm not speaking of Tauber.

So, I think what I'll do is to just kick it off and see where it goes...but after deer season!

Take care to all.

Best.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Steve...your the type of man...that crosses ALL the "T's" and dots ALL the "I's"...there are allot of publishers... with minds of their own...but only one Steven Camp..with this story to tell...be strong and true to yourself, and in the end, it will be, as it should. We are behind you..no matter which choice you make.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello and thanks. I'm not trying to get rich; if I were it would all be a failure. The books sort of supplement retirement, pay for insurance and so forth and they're kind of fun. The downside is that I wake up at night when on a project and have to write down notes on ideas running around inside my head.

Best.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Mr. Camp,

Paid in Full was an extremely good book. It's at least on par with others of the same genre I've read. I'd like to think that's saying a lot since I'm a bookworm, or used to be anyway during highschool.

I *think* the problem with the fictional works is exposure: for example, Stephen King's writings are only average, an his Opus, The Dark Tower Series, was not all that grand. Based on the epic poem Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came, he invents a gunslinger in the tradition of spagetti westerns and sets him in a world that has moved on after an ancient holocaust. There are lots of elements of magic, and the old ways have been lost. For example, "Amoco" is now a lost and mystical word of The Great Old Ones. Mutants hold the pumps between their legs for, um, imaginative purposes.

All in all, it could have been a great series.

But... one does NOT thumb back the triggers on a single action revolver. Also, if you want to hit something, you do NOT fan the hammer.

However, it was a cult hit... it just bugged me and several others that he should care so little about his one great series that he'd not research it well, or write beyond what he knew. It's all at www.thedarktower.net if it's still up.

King says he writes out his fears. I don't know how you do it and really don't want to know. I figure you have a creative mind disciplined enough to slow down and put it on paper whereas others want to get the whole thing done in a night and the story spirals quickly out of control.

The point to all of this is, you shouldn't be made to cut what you don't want to cut. In fact, that would take the book down to the length of a novellete, something that's usually avoided.

Have you tried Signet paperback?

Over at www.thedarktower.net I went by Wabash Shootist. After I complained about the inaccuracy of firearms portrayal I started getting PMs about how they should be, how so-and-so is looking for his first CCW and wants my advice, etc. It finally got so bad that I left. I could simply not handle that many PMs per day.

If... and this is just a hypothetical... Tauber or Omar were described as real-life gunslingers or somesuch, it could bring a market share over.

Josh <><

1 - 16 of 16 Posts