Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped for a Star BM because I wanted a 9mm auto and had read good reports on the "stamina" and the trigger on these guns. Like most, the one I got had a lot of holster time in the Spanish arm, but aside from the finish, the gun is fit, trim, but not light weight since it's all steel.

The firing pin was strange. It has an inertia spring, but it was long enough to touch the primer with hammer down. I pulled it and "carefully" shortened it until it didn't protrude at hammer down. Now the gun shoots fine, but doesn't mind having the hammer "whacked" and won't fire without a trigger pull.

The last stage has been finishing. I recoated it in Duracoat H&K black and put a set of cocobolo grips on.

Here's the before and after pics...

·
Registered
103 Posts

(click to enlarge)

Beautiful work on a very nice gun Cimarronok
I recently had mine worked on by Sam Damewood I really like
these little 9mm`s. Enjoy it.

Gil..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a couple of these little autos, one blued and one in Starvel (matte nickel), both commercial guns imported by now-defunct Interarms.

When Star replaced the BM and, especially, it's alloy-framed counterpart, the Model BKM, with the Firestar it was a giant step backward, IMHO. The Firestars in 9mm and .40 were heavy, chunky little suckers, with not much grip to hang on to. The BM/BKM was more "shootable," longer, taller and thinner which made it stay put better in concealed carry and, being thinner than the Firestars, made it as easy to conceal.

Alas, poor Star is no longer with us. More's the pity.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ive had three Star BMS in the past. They are good little 9mms. Slowly there are begining to become some accesories on the market for them. The grips are nice. A fella fromArkansas makes them on the surplusrifle site and A few companies now offering a wider range of stuff. I wonder if Hakan Pek does or can. now there is a craftsman extradinore (SP)?

The Firestars(not to be confused with Llamas Firestorms), I liked as well having owned one and shot another that was a friends in .45acp were good guns but yes abit heavy..but very accurate in my experinces. In fact my buddy a Thunder Ranch Guru said while not as smooth his Firestar was as accurate as most his cutom 1911s. But I stray and as much could be said for many or of the Norinco owners.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know a gunsmith who built one using a black finish and he used some antique looking gold finish on the moving parts. It was beautiful!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I swapped for a Star BM because I wanted a 9mm auto and had read good reports on the "stamina" and the trigger on these guns. Like most, the one I got had a lot of holster time in the Spanish arm, but aside from the finish, the gun is fit, trim, but not light weight since it's all steel.

The firing pin was strange. It has an inertia spring, but it was long enough to touch the primer with hammer down. I pulled it and "carefully" shortened it until it didn't protrude at hammer down. Now the gun shoots fine, but doesn't mind having the hammer "whacked" and won't fire without a trigger pull.

The last stage has been finishing. I recoated it in Duracoat H&K black and put a set of cocobolo grips on.

Here's the before and after pics...

BE-U-TEE-FULLLLLL.....

You would think if Star were still in business and could manufacture new BM's like your "after" pictures they could sell a zillion of them.. I'd buy one.

I'm very fond of my old Star BM and it's still got the "before" look.

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now whoever did the work on that Star BM should be highly commended. It is drop dead gorgerous! Unfortunately the supply of Star BM's is drying up. I was going to buy one until I found a smokin' deal on my Hi Power. I guess I'll have to learn to live with the Hi Power......
Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As you noted, the supply of Star BM's has just about dried up at the wholesale level, but those that have been surplused to this country over the last 2 or 3 years (plus those commercially imported new into the country in the 1980's and 90's) are all "out there," many of which are still in gun shops and found at gun shows. I saw a near-mint one today at a small gun show in my area. The prices, however, are higher than when the surplused ones were hitting the market en masse a couple of years ago. Be patient and haunt gun shops and gun shows for one at a fair price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recently saw a Star BM in excellent condition at a local gun shop, but they wanted more for it ($395.00) than I paid for the Hi-Power I just bought ($350.00) which was a fantastic deal. I'm glad I held out and came across the Hi-Power. I just wish I could get in the "Way Back Machine" and go back to the late 80's when a dealer was selling BM's in mint condition for $200.00! I did not know much about them at the time and the internet was unknown. Just out of curiosity, who made the cocobolo grips for your BM?
Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Modifying the long firing pin was a good idea. It made having a chambered round safer. Jeff Cooper pointed out that some Stars need this alteration --40 years ago. Remember please that your Star lacks a firing pin safety and could possibly fire if dropped while in condion 1.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I recently saw a Star BM in excellent condition at a local gun shop, but they wanted more for it ($395.00) than I paid for the Hi-Power I just bought ($350.00) which was a fantastic deal. I'm glad I held out and came across the Hi-Power.
Yes, $395 is outrageous for a Star BM. You made the better choice. But keep your eyes open and "beat the brush." You should be able to find a nice BM in the $250-300 range if you're patient.

·
Registered
15 Posts
CDNN has "good to very good" Star BS and BM models in their latest catalog for $160. They also have "very good to excellent" Star B models at $170. Looks like a good deal to me.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I cannot believe I did not post a picture of my Star BM. I bought it 15 years ago and I had it refinished by Frank Paris (deceased). The grips are by Hakan. Regards, Richard

1 - 19 of 19 Posts