Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do not get excited - stop reading now if you are worried about a post on an FN / Browning Hi Power pistol in stainless steel.

I have a Mauser 80SA Hi Power clone manufactured by FEG in 1991. I need to replace the weakened springs soon, but it shoots very nicely and just feels right in the hand. It is one pistol I plan to keep to the end, and then my son can have it.

I bought the Mauser 80SA used, advertised as a 'stainless steel' Hi Power clone by FEG- all I really know is that it is too heavy to be an aluminum alloy. Only the flat sides of the slide are polished. The rest of the slide and the frame are a matte colored silver inside and out.

Does anyone know how to differentiate the type of metal in silver colored weapons? I have heard and read countless times that there is no such thing as a stainless steel Hi Power. Obviously this is NOT an FN manufactured 'real' Hi Power, but when I pull the trigger it feels real enough to me. Whatever it is made out of, I think it is one sweet firearm.

I have read all I could find about this Mauser 80SA, and thanks to Mr. Camp and JayPee and the information they have shared over the intertubes, I know a lot more than before I bought this pistol, but I have found no reference to a stainless steel model from Mauser or FEG.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post - any information and comments will be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I finally figured out the macro feature on my digital camera, so here are two close up photos of the slide.

Anyone seen one of these before, or know anything about them?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Bill, I can't tell for sure from here, but the finish looks remarkably like Rogard's NP3.

Um, make that Robar NP3 (vapour lock of the cranial cavity).

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
Looks like it could be hard chrome by my monitor...nice!!!

Bill

·
Registered
130 Posts
If it were 300 grade stainless, and it probably isn't, a magnet wouldn't grab it. If 400 grade it will. File a small nick somewhere that won't show and daub cold blue on it, if it takes the blue it is carbon steel.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Trust me on this, the Mauser SA80 was a Mauser 'badged' FEG product. It is not Stainless steel. It's most likely been refinished with either of the above suggested finishes; NP3 or hard chrome. A less likely alternate finish is 'electroless nickel'.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard Chromed Mauser 80SA FEG Hi Power

It didn't quite look right for stainless steel, but I do like shooting it and petting it. I guess I will start thinking of this pistol as my hard chromed Mauser Hi Power.

Thanks to all who responded and posted.

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Its still a fine piece. Enjoy her.

For what its worth, the most accurate HP I ever had was a FEG.

Regards,

Pat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts