Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One really good thing about the South is that springtime gets here early. One bad thing is that it only lasts for about two weeks before Summer arrives. :(

I have a handload which hits very close to the same POI as the 158 SWC-HP +P, so I went out to fire a few rounds through the 3" round butt S&W Model 10 heavy barrel I've been packing. The target below was hit 18 times at from 10-12 yards.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nice shooting. And that is a beautiful gun you used. One very popular as a carry gun for detectives 30 years ago. Most of the guys who became detectives came straight from patrol.

Many didn't feel comfortable with the smaller J Frames and Colt Detectives, so the 3" Smith M 10 was a good choice. Loaded as hot as you could get it. Still a gun you could and should and be able to qualify with when needed. And the heavy barrel made a dandy thud on the head of the misbehaving.

Excellent hand feel! I'm sure you enjoyed it. Spring is beautiful in the South.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Leland,

Ah yes, Spring in the South! I saw my first Water Moccasin the other day sunning himself in a patch of grass the other day!

Great shooting with your M-10! I've been looking through the Natchez shooting supply catalog looking at 158 grain LSWC loads from Remington and Winchester. I hope to get out with my newly returned M-65 3" and give it a whirl.

I sincerely doubt my shooting will be as good as yours!

Great thread and thank you!

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yep, Leland, you're all set with your gun and your load.

Chris, I hate water moccasins. Remind me to tell you about the time I was canoeing with my little sister . . . .

I am getting my 3" 65 back this weekend. It's been down at the shop of Alamogordo gunsmith Sam Damewood getting an action job and a partial hammer-bob. Leland's post sure makes me want to get it out to the range again!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am getting my 3" 65 back this weekend. It's been down at the shop of Alamogordo gunsmith Sam Damewood getting an action job and a partial hammer-bob. Leland's post sure makes me want to get it out to the range again!
Partial hammer-bob Erich? So, I'm not the only one who thinks that makes sense? Pics when you get it back please!

-Rob

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the "partial bob" S&W did on the Japanese no-lock M37s that hit the market recently.

Erich, is your 65 bobjob going to be similar to that?

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Erich,

I snuck a peek and a reply on the "other" forum...

Beautiful work and I know that you are going give us a "springtime" range report with your nicely 'smithed M-65!

Really very well done work! I like the way the hammer was bobbed and took nothing away from the complete function of the revolver!

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Greetings, caballeros!

No, it's not a 37-2-esque bob, it's like a 547.

Here's a thumbnail of the DAO 37-2:

Sam Damewood, a gunsmith down in Alamogordo, NM who's a friend of mine, did the work. I've always felt that the 547 had the most sensible K-frame hammer - not so much to get snagged on your clothing, but enough to cock the hammer for SA use. Sam mathed it out from some photos of the 547, and did a great job of symmetrically bobbing the hammer at precisely the correct length.

Sam also did an action job that got the DA pull down to a s m o o t h 11.2 pounds, and chamfered and polished the chambers. All in about a week, for a price equivalent to about two boxes of .357 ammo!

I'm a happy boy - can't wait to get this gun out to the range (next weekend - have a surprise BBQ to throw today and have to get steaks on the grill after church).

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Erich, I say this with all due respect and stuff:

You make me sick. I think you should send me that 65 to atone for your sins, whatever they may be.

·
Registered
430 Posts
That's it! Next spare 200 bucks I get, I'm buying one of those 3" surplus Model 10s. It maybe a model 10, bu 158 grain +P SWCHPs out of it should suffice. ;)

You guys are a VERY BAD influence.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today I found the one thing I needed for my 3" M10: the grips were starting to take some hits around the office, so I finally ran across a set of Hogues for the round butt.

Next I want a 65, but I might have to trade for it--as it stands, the M10 shoots pretty well...

Oh yeah, here's a picture.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yep, those 3" Model 10s always looked like "serious" guns to me. High drag, low-speed - and they work (like my old C20 3/4-ton Chevy truck worked). Only six rounds, so you can bet the man is going to make them count.

Frankly, I'd rather have a nice revolver like these than any of the super-custom 1911s that are floating around in the low $2k range.

To drag this topic out a little longer, my friend Gil did me no favors when he emailed me yesterday about a 3 1/16" SP-101 in 9mm that he saw. The 9x19 really is a treat in a small revo (it'll give you a new appreciation for the round's power!), and it's cheap to shoot and the moon clips allow it to reload every bit as fast as any semiauto I've ever used.

Now I'm thinking about seeing about trading for it. I let a 940 get away from me (I found it too heavy for pocket carry) in a trade a few years back, and I've always been in love with the SP's factory stocks. Seems like this would make a great house gun that my wife could use.

Well, we'll see. . . . ;)

·
Registered
430 Posts

Nope Leland, I'm NOT sorry I pointed out those durn Kel-Tecs! I'm heading off to apply for a new job, in a bit. If I get it, maybe I can swing one of these 3" k-frames before the end of June.

Hey Leland, what are you carrying it in? I know Erich is probably using his Ted Blocker IWB.

-Rob

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Love that 940 !!!

You're right; it is a bit heavy for pocket carry, at least in summer. The weight sure feels good when shooting it though.

Hope it works out you can get the SP.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Leland,

While I really like my M-65, I like the M-10 as well. Yours appears to be a very nice rendition of the 3" M-10 and I certainly wouldn't feel the least bit undergunned carrying it. I do appreciate stainless steel a lot more than I used to living by the coast.

As for carry, the M-60 gets my nod for daily concealed carry.

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Well, as neat as the 9mm SP is, I'm going to have to take a pass. I've been trying to settle down on the spending here, as my wife is fixing to quit her high-paying job to take a lower-paying, more satisfying job with less stress.

Thanks for the heads-up, Gil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts