Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All

Which speedloaders are the best for combat/self defense (not competition)???

The rumours I've heard:

From what I understand the Safariland loaders are only good for competition.

Maxfire are suppose to be good, but warp or break eventually and are not rugged and reliable enough to trust your life too.

HKS are the standard, but rattle and can be awkward.

Moonclips??? Pros and Cons??

I shoot a 629 Mountain Gun in 44 mag.

Any help and experience would be greatly appreciated!!

God Bless

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

I've used Safariland and HKS in competition and carry. I tend to like the HKS better.

The only one that can advise you on which to carry in "combat/self defense" is someone who has actually been there or carried them as a LEO and perhaps someone will respond.

They are not all that expensive and perhaps I should suggest that you try and shoot at speed/reload with something that you feel comfortable with and can practice with.

Good shooting,

Chris

G

·
I refuse to use the term "speed" in conjunction with the HKS bullet holders. I despise those things.

I use Safariland compIII loaders almost exclusively for my 6 shooters. I do have a few speed strips, a few compIIs, and I have a few of the old Dade loaders.

I use the Safariland metal loader carrier.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I use the HKS, mainly because they're available in all the different models I need. (Just found one for the J frame .32!)

Safariland are better, perhaps, but I don't need another variable to deal with. Keep it simple. If all I shot were revolvers for which Safarilands are available, I'd prolly use them instead.

Also have a few Bianchi Speed-Strips for when I'm carrying a snubby in-pocket. Flat, comfortable and slow.

Moon clips are great; I have them for the S&W 940 (only option there) and the 1917.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
59 Posts
In owr market (Bulgaria), only HKS and Longwits are available. I prefer HKS from both. But I wanna try Safariland in the firs possibility....

G

·
Maxfire are suppose to be good, but warp or break eventually and are not rugged and reliable enough to trust your life too.
I would have no reservations about trusting Maxfires with my hairy hide

G

·
Safariland Comp II. Don't use them much anymore but used to. The trick is to use a designated one in training which you can beat up, throw around, etc without trashing your duty stuff. I abused that particular one considerably and it still works fine. It has to be over 15 years old now.

Started out with the the HKS like everyone else because of price and availability but the Safariland is much more positive and reliable.

G

·
i find the safariland comp II to be the best. I palm the speedloader and use my index, ring and middle fingers as guides on the cylinder. When done that way, the comp II's will release, the HKS's still will require a twist of the knob, which I find slows the reload.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
45Fundi,

I've used a good number of the "speed" loaders out there. Buy what you like and practice like crazy with it!
I use HKS, from personal preference, for my Colt Anaconda, S&W M57, M19, and J-frame snubbies.
For daily carry my "speed loaders" hold seven rounds of .45 ACP.

Wes

·
Registered
180 Posts
I use Safariland for my SP 101 and HKS for my 686+ - and only because S/L doesn't make a speedloader for for the 686.

I just find the Safariland to be faster and simple - hold the speedloader by the body, push the rounds in the chamber and they are in. I figure the fewer motor functions I'd have to perform with bullets whizzing in my direction - the better!

G

·
I prefer the Safarilands. In a combat reload there's nothing to think about: just push and they pop in, with a bit of spring pressure to aid gravity. No fiddling with nob ("Do I turn it left or right?").

Also, it's possible to inadvertantly twist the HKS nob while grabbing the loader and drop your rounds to the ground. Maybe not likely, but certainly possible. Just one more thing for Murphy's Law. Also, no spring-assist with HKS.

Of course, any speedloader/strip is better than none!

JMHO.

Perpster

G

·
I spoke with Safariland today. They make spd ldrs for S&W 686 6-shot, but NOT S&W 686P 7-shot; nor do they have any plans to start making any.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
For real world defense I think the best "speedloader" is a second revolver.

That may sound flip, but I really don't like the idea of taking my only weapon out of action.

For my revolvers that don't utilize full moon clips, I slightly prefer the Safariland Comp II or even the old Comp I. The FBI chose them when they carried M-13s they decided by loading up speed loaders and tossing them around the room and they are the ones that held up.

Still, I don't carry speed loaders on me very much.Today is an exception, I have on a 4" m-29 as a backup weapon and I have a belt slide with 6 rounds and a Safariland speed loader. That said, if I get down to having to fully reload the revolver there will have been a lot of rounds fired ;)

Onward,
Jim

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Here is a somewhat classic combo of wheelguns. The Safariland is a Comp I, which I prefer to the HKS's. And an 3X3 ammo pouch.

The Comp II's are faster and easier for me, but not available for the N frames. HKS's are available everwhere, and seem better built than the Comp I's.

And here is the same .44 Special, with HKS & Comp I speedloaders:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I like the HKS and the Comp I equally well. The Comp I is a bit faster in action, for me anyway. Neither one seems to have any real drawback. Jim H. is right about the "New York Reload", the fastest reload is a second revolver, but I prefer to carry speedloaders anyway.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts