Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading and watching Flexmoney's great video instruction at TPI, I got to wondering how to smooth out my reloads.

Tonight I started to practice some at home and wondered what would happen if I rocked my mags in from the front instead of the rear like I always have?

I made a quick video (read: crappy lighting) of 4 reloads each using both methods to compare and was shocked at how much smoother the front rock reloads went.

Is there any reason why this would not be a good way to practice them? I mean, why does everyone seem to rock from the back of the mag?

I'm not hitting the bullets on the front of the mag well, and at first glance I can't see why I shouldn't train this way, but I'm sure I'm missing something. That's why I'm asking here.

The video is of (4) rock from back reloads, then (4) rock from front.

These were done after previously trying each about 6 times before rolling tape. Tonight is the first time I have done the front rock reload, and it looks and felt better than what I'm use to.

I'm interested in what you guys think? Viable?

reloads_fwd-rev_rock.mov - 394KB

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Hello,

I've not watched the movies. I'm still stuck with 56k though hopefully that will change soon.

I've always rocked the magazine from the front using my weak index finger as a guide.

Josh <><

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm finding there are a lot of people out there that do. I was just taught teh other way and never questioned it.

I am now! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Something that was brought to my attention on another board was that my G17 has a front groove cut out and probably makes a big difference. Also, since it's new to me, I'm "looking" the mag in better.

In the end... I've decided just to work harder at smoothing up my traditional (more universal) rear rock forward reload. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A Grandmaster IPSC shooter that goes by the name "Flexmoney" gave me a great tip on marking the inside of the mag well to see you mag in until it becomes second nature. It helps you only move you rgun the minimal amount to align the mag and reduces a lot of wasted motion. you can see the difference in one nights practice in the video below.

http://oregonshooter.com/video/looking_in_mag.wmv

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm...

I've always used a rock-back reload.

I guess we all just use whatever works for us, in the end.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
To be honest I could not tell exactly what was going on there though the second series certainly looked smoother. I will certainly take your word that it is rocked in from the front.

I have never thought of rocking the mag in from the front. So, in the interest of objectivity, I tried it with several weapons. Natuarally no new system is going to be instantly better than one that has been practiced several hundred thousand times so I bore that in mind.

What I found was that this was not too bad in a Glock or even a Springfield XD (that means that with much practice it would certainly be viable), but that it was disasterous in a 1911, a Browning HP or a Beretta.

It worked less well in the XD than in the Glock (I think the bevel at the front fo the well in the Glock is greater than in the XD).

The lower edge of the front of the magazine (and I think the roundness of a 1911 mag to boot), cause it to bind at much shallower angle when "rounding the corner" from the front than the back.

This might be different I suppose for those who have some sort of extended mag well but I don't know too many folks who use them in the real world.

For me the emergency (slide lock) reload has become a moot point anyway, since I train hard not to do it standing still (or behind cover) and would have to run through 3 or 4 guns until I ran dry on the last one.

Still I guess one has to top off all those after the fight is over :)

Cordially,
Jim H.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Belatedly (not unusual for me :-[) it occurrs to me that one reason this may work for the Glock better is the plastic mag in a plastic gun. I am assuming that there is a bit of lubricity there.

I don't have an H&K, might work with the USP also????

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Hi Gammon,

It's how you insert the magazine at speed. For example, if you insert it at speed from a front angle, you'd have to rock the magazine bottom back a bit to slide it home, and vice versa for inserting it from a rear angle.

Josh <><

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jim,

I think you have it down pat. I gave up on it. It was just one of those "why do I do it this way" questions I had to answer. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts