Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got up way too early today after working a night shift, so I figured if I was going to be awake I might as well be at a gun show stocking up on reloading supplies.

Anyway, after getting all my loading stuff, I made a final trip through the tables to see if there was anything I couldn't live without. Herewith I offer a Smith & Wesson Model 15 "Combat Masterpiece" in the somewhat rare 2" barrel length. This is a -2 engineering change, which means that this is an early 2" gun, dating between 1964 and 1967. The action is SMOOTH, and like most of the 15s and 14s, it has a trigger stop attached to the frame at the rear of the trigger guard. The finish is pretty good, maybe 95%, but not good enough that I'd be afraid to carry or shoot it. The grips are numbered to the gun, by the way, which is one other tiny thing to make my day go nicely.

When I turned over the price tag, I made a very quick decision to buy it. The last one of these I saw was >$325, so $275 out the door made me happy. I've been looking for one of these for some time. This is what I'd call a truly elegant snubnose wheelgun.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Congrats, Leland...it sounds like you got a great gun and a great deal. The 2" pinned barrel is cool indeed.

PGM

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Leland,

Nice deal! As you stated, "a very elegant snubnose wheelgun" indeed.

At $275.00, it was a true bargain! Very nice condition and grips.

Chris

G

·
NICE!

While I'll admit that I'm quite amazed at the deal, you CAN'T make me jealous, right now, Leland. I just dug deep and ponied up an old shotgun, getting my hands on one of the new Springfield XD45s in the process.

Now normally, I'm no fan of polymer, but I swear that this gun feels JUST like a Hi-Power in the hand!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool! I don't like polymer either, but I've been looking at the XD as a valid excuse for giving up my tax refund. :)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Wow, you got a great deal on a classic machine! I've always had a thing for the 2" Combat Masterpieces, but I've never gotten around to buying one. I've seen some good prices lately, but nothing like what you walked away with! Congratulations, and please let us know how she shoots (as if it could be anything other than superb . . . ). :) P&R, too! Nice!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Erich, "she" shoots great for being so ancient. I borrowed a copy of Supica and Nahas today, and this one comes in at the very end of the -2 run, making it 39 years old. Yeah, just about to turn 40.

I'm going to celebrate the purchase by carrying a K frame tomorrow. I carried the 2" 15 today, but I'm thinking that tomorrow for my trip into town I'll pack a 2 1/2" M66 loaded with superstoppers (125-grain Remington JSHP).

G

·
Age is part of the reason I love my Model 19. It's kind of humbling to pick up a gun and think "this thing has been around since before I was born, and will probably still be here after I'm gone."

Revolvers just seem very permanent, when compared to automatics.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I think about revolvers, I remember that many models have gone virtually unchanged since before I was born. In fact, a few revolvers have seen little visible change since before my father was born. I have a .45 S&W M1917 manufactured in June of 1918 that a great uncle was issued in 1943, and it incorporates moon clips, a technology that some new shooters are just now "discovering."

Come to think of it, the staying power of both the 1911 and the Hi Power is a primary reason why there are multiple copies of both in my collection. I own a single Glock that I fire once or twice a year but almost never carry, while either a Smith & Wesson revolver or John Browning design semi auto is on my person or at easy reach virtually 24 hours a day.

There's something to be said for the idea of not fixing what ain't broke...

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Erich, you're just a kid. :)

You know, I don't have a whole bunch of snubbies, but I have a few. Here are all the S&Ws except the M638; I also have two Ruger Speed Sixes, one blued and one stainless, in the 2 3/4" barrel length.

Of these, I don't really consider the 3" Heavy Barrel Model 10 at the 12 o'clock position to be a true snubnose, but it's the most accurate handgun I own with a barrel length under 4 inches. Clockwise from there is a Model 10 in 2" square butt, a 2 1/2" Model 66-1 round butt, the new 2" M15-2, then the J frame M49 Bodyguard, and finally a Model 60. Of course, all but the Model 66 are in .38 Special.

I've always thought snubnose revolvers were kind of neat looking, but I've gotten to the place where I actually consider them practical additions to my arsenal. Today I carried the M66 on a trip to town to find new K frame carrying leather.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Leland,

That is a great collection of S&W "snubbies".

I hope to add more to mine as they make great "always" carry guns!

Chris

G

·
Neat-looking? They're my favorite type of gun, for looks.

They've got this "Yeah. So, what?" look about them that I just can't get enough of.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Let's see:

Blued steel and walnut -- check.
K-Frame -- check.
Square butt -- check.
Handy size -- check.
Great price -- check.

You done good!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got bored again and went out back to get a rough guess at how the M15 sights are set.

The total here is 18 rounds, all fired two-handed from a standing position, 12 single action and six double action. Range was ten yards.

I could do better, but these high tech targets confuse me. :)

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Leland,

There's nothing wrong with the revolver or your shooting!

Low tech targets are the best! At least they're cheap compared to ones you buy at the range!

Chris

G

·
I will tell you what, I love Hi Powers and 1911 pistols. I love Ruger Bisley Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks. But I am absolutely married to my nickel plated 19-3 2.5-inch snubbie. I carry it everywhere. It sleeps next to my bed. I shoot IDPA with it. These are the finest civilian self defense weapons ever created and I BUY 2.5-INCH M19 AND M66 REVOLVERS ON SIGHT! The other K frames are also fabulous but those combat magnums with adjustable sights are unbelievably good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts