Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Many of these can be had (or close to it by handloading), but many don't reload. Many who do don't use them for defensive purposes.

.380 ACP: Corbon DPX load in as near standard weight as possible with at least 12" penetration as in other loads. This one may be coming.

9mm Makarov:Ditto as for the .380 ACP

.38 Special: 140-gr. HCSWC or even WC loaded to at least 800 ft/sec from a snub. By dropping but 18 grains, perhaps this could be done at standard pressures and give those wanting solids something with more smack than the wadcutters currently available that clock in the mid-500's in some versions to about 600 in others from the J-frame snubs.

9mm:Much exists and we're not really "short" in this caliber, but I do wish Federal would put the 124-gr. Nyclad
HP back on the open market. This standard pressure load from a service pistol seems to work better than might be expected from its paper ballistics.

.44 Special: A 240-gr. Keith-style hardcast SWC at an honest 900-950 ft/sec from a major maker and at reasonable prices. It wouldn't bother me at all to see a full WC offered to the same specs.

.45 Colt: A 260-gr. hard cast SWC and full WC at about 875 to 925 ft/sec.

Either of the .44 Special or .45 Colt loads should be controllable in N-frame guns. For those not concerned with overpenetration in humans, they could do nicely for much field work as well as more serious matters.

.45 ACP: It'll never happen as it would not feed in many guns, but a hard cast SWC similar to that used in the .45 Colt that weighs about 230-245-grs @ 830 to 860 ft/sec. The speed/accuracy of the auto is not compromised at this level of recoil and for those not happy with JHP's, the large meplat on these do make a visible difference in animals I've seen shot with the handloaded equivalents.

Anyone else got any loads they'd like to see offered from the factories?

Best.

G

·
0 Posts
I'll second your thoughts on the makarov. I'd be real nice if someone would make something along the lines of DPX or Powerball. I emailed about the rumors of the powerball load but never heard back.

Steelheart

·
Registered
11 Posts
380 DPX is on the front burner right now. It should be out sometime January or early Feb. It looks like it'll be an 80 gr pill. Due to the long bearing surface, that's as heavy as we could make it, in order for it to fit in the magazines! We're trying to get this load to penetrate at least 12" in gel.

We are planning a 380 PowRball loading. We will get on the R&D for it as soon as we finsh up a very large foreign order for Safety Slugs. They're made on the same machines. I doubt if DPX will be made in 9 Mak. We need to buy the bullets in large quantities, esp when we are working with a new caliber. Demand isn't enough to justify the cost of tying up inventory.

Steelheart,

If you didn't hear back from me, it was because your email bounced on me! I do all of the internet corespondence.

G

·
0 Posts
oldgranpa,

My mistake. I meant, we are coming out with a 9 Mak PowRball. The 380 PowRball HAS been out for several months. Sorry for the confusion!

G

·
0 Posts
I'm not going to argue. A good defense load for the 9x18 will rock. And powerball has looked great in all the testing I've come across. Now I will have to start pulling cash to buy a bunch of it

Steelheart

G

·
0 Posts
.45 Colt: A 260-gr. hard cast SWC and full WC at about 875 to 925 ft/sec.
You just described my favorite .45 Colt load, a 255gr to 260gr K-SWC @ 900fps. I've shot thousands of them, and although I can load this any time I feel like it, I'd love to be able to buy it off the shelf.

I've said before that the only thing current factory ammo needs is a full weight SWC in place of the conical bullet it now suffers with.

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello,

I wish Federal would start manufacturing a Std. Pressure 125gr JHP that has the same bullet ogive as their C9BP 115gr Classic HI-SHOK has.

I would like the 125gr doing around 1150 fps at the muzzle.

Take Care,
The Sockman

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I really like the idea of a WC loaded hot from a snub. It's easy to do at home, but that would be a terrific factory load. Great idea.

G

·
0 Posts
Gents,

I'm mostly happy with what is out there...however, I would like to see the ORIGINAL Keith designed SWC in .357, .41, .44, and .45. Two loads in each. A full house loading and one loaded to 950-1000 FPS.
Guess deep inside I'm still a revolver guy, at heart.
Please don't tell anyone...

Wes

·
Registered
53 Posts
oldgranpa,

My mistake. I meant, we are coming out with a 9 Mak PowRball.
Yahoo!!!!!
Good!!!
I love my Bulgarian and have only been carrying hornady 95gr XTPS and BrownBear 115 gr HPs(wanted totry aheavier weight..I know they cant compare to an XTP).
Ive always loved Cor-bon ammo however and youll bet I'll buy a few boxes as soon as its on my locals shops shelves!
The Mak is one of the most easist to conceal guns I have!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hello. Many of these can be had (or close to it by handloading), but many don't reload. Many who do don't use them for defensive purposes.

.45 ACP: It'll never happen as it would not feed in many guns, but a hard cast SWC similar to that used in the .45 Colt that weighs about 230-245-grs @ 830 to 860 ft/sec. The speed/accuracy of the auto is not compromised at this level of recoil and for those not happy with JHP's, the large meplat on these do make a visible difference in animals I've seen shot with the handloaded equivalents.

Best.
SAC,
I actually loaed up some 255 SWC for in .45acp last year and they were extremley accurate!They fed like champs in my Black Stainless Springfiled Loaded Target gun and Mike Nordels own custom built 1911a1 he made over at PS.
I dont recall my load,I got it out of a Load map,I can look it up.
I got the notion when diggin through some of the old components my Father-in-law gave me years abck and came across the Speer SWC 255s!

So tell me what kinf od antipersonel/goblin round would this make?
Im nottalkign abrriers and such...Iknow lead dont have much on walls ect..but heck cast lead worked last century why not this one?
Momentum of weight has to count some doesnt it?

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello. I think that such a load would probably work fine on most pests, human or otherwise. The meplat is large enough in this caliber. Though not fired from a .45 ACP, I 've seen the .45 Colt revolver ballistic equivalent used nicely on deer and feral hogs. It is more effective than the paper ballistics might suggest.

Best.

G

·
0 Posts
Steve, what do you think about using the rnfp 250 in that 45 acp? It still has a pretty big meplat, and it will function.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hello. I've tried them on animals over the years and in several "test mediums" like wet pack, gelatin, and water. Frankly, I couldn't tell any difference in effect between them and the 230-gr. JFP on any. On the few critters I shot, effect was similar as well. With the 230-gr. JFP, I noted no real difference between it and ball so I suspect that this load wouldn't be much better. I think the flat has to be larger as it is on the 250-255-gr. SWC intended for .45 Colt.

Best.

·
Registered
53 Posts
SAC,
My load Map from Midway suggest these powders and loads for the Speer 250 LSWC...note folks they are listinmg these as borderline hot/extreme yellow to red zoneloads...green being the safe normal common standards.

Alliant Bullseye 5.3 gr 856fps 19800 psi

Alliant Herco 7.4 gr 921fps 19500 psi

Alliant Red Dot 5.2 840 fps 19700 psi

Alliant Unique 6.5 876fps 19000 psi

Winchester 231 5.7gr 840fps 19300 psi

There is a lisitng for the 255 Midway LSWC and a Speer 260 HP.

A 260gr HP? Wow!

Anyways I really like these load maps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts