Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I had some free time and some free money today so I decided to stop by my favorite gunstore, the one that the forum "The Gunstore Lounge" is modeled after.

I went looking for a revolver. No reasonably priced no-lock stuff, so I wandered around for a bit.

Then I heard the whisper, "Buy me." At this point I thought I was just going nuts, but then I heard it again, "Buy me!" more insistent.

I look around and there lays what appeared to be a PPK. Upon closer inspection it says on the side,

"Mod. 95 Carpati cal. 380
MADE by Romarm in ROMANIA <CUGIR>
Imported by C.A.L. ST. ALB. VT."

Here's a poor picture:

This pistol holds seven plus one rounds of .380acp. It is straight blowback operated. I sent 36 rounds downrange at about 15yds and got hand sized groups. I've not practiced with a smaller pistol in years and, while the groups could have been better, I was pretty proud of myself.

Finish is not the best as toolmarks are very visible, but the bluing is 100% and all the serial numbers match, including the magazine serial number. The one downside for me is that the left grip panel has a thumb rest and I'm primarily left handed. However, I am ambidextrous so I've been carrying it as a backup in my right pants pocket. I seemed to do about as well with either hand.

Shooting left handed got me nicked by the slide, though not badly.

Anyway, I had one malfunction early on, a failure to eject/stovepipe. I did not like clearing that; I'm used to a magazine button in the traditional location as well as an open ejection port (ala Taurus, Beretta, Colt etc.)

Later...

I'd like to get a spare magazine as well as the standard grip panels. I've ground off the thumbrest so it's more shootable, but I need sources gents!

I like this pistol and will really like it once I get the customizations done to it.

Thanks,

Josh <><

<You're not imagining things. I modified the post so I could copy'n'paste to other forums.>

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Better pic from Gun Tests. They say "do not buy" but their experience was totally different than mine. Seems they got a real lemon.

What they had to say:

[quote:52qdi8l2]
9mm Surplus Pistols: FEG, Carpati, And a Bulgarian Makarov All Fail

Should you pay $229 for a Romanian M95 Carpati, $239 for an FEG PA63, or $249 for a Bulgarian Makarov? Nope. Our test guns often wouldn

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Josh,

Congradulations!

It sounds like you are already enjoying it immensely!

I do have fondness for older surplus handguns and a genuine interest in Hungarian and Romanian arms.

I know that you will keep us updated on its performance. A call to Century Arms, Int'l may produce some leads for surplus accessories, i.e. spare mags and ect. They are pretty nice folks to deal with.

Chris

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Thanks for posting this Josh. For years I thought that I was the only person in the world who heard those little "buy me" messages :)

That was until a few years ago when I was poking around in the back room of a gun shop and found an 8 track tape deck playing. I asked the owner what it was and he fessed up:

"Oh, that. Well we play this little tape all day very quietly that says 'buy me'. We move the speaker around so folks wont figure out that it is really a tape rather than their 'little voice'. Good thing they are too embarrased to mention it to each other or they would figure it out."

I made that up of course ;)

Best regards!
Jim

·
Registered
430 Posts
Josh, I was looking into this last night for you. I read somewhere that an FEG magazine might fit your gun, but it didn't have last shot hold open for the slide. Now, don't hold me to that, just a second hand rumor from somebody that knows somebody that knows somebody.

Neat pistol, especially with that left hand slide safety!

-Rob

·
Registered
283 Posts
you cant trust what "gun test" magazine says. most of the guys that write for that rag have very limited knowledge of firearms.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Josh,
looks like a winner! Good barrel length and none of the cheap, flimsy plastic stuff the short barrel junk guns use for a housing.
The 3.4" barrel length will get you the required expansion and penetration needed for "certified" "12inch gelatin" self defense. Look for some of the Hornady JHP to try.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what I gather in my searches this thing is just a rebadged FEG... Hungary let them use their tooling or sumsuch.

Does it look like FEG grips may fit?

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Josh, I was looking into this last night for you. I read somewhere that an FEG magazine might fit your gun, but it didn't have last shot hold open for the slide. Now, don't hold me to that, just a second hand rumor from somebody that knows somebody that knows somebody.

Neat pistol, especially with that left hand slide safety!

-Rob
Rob, looks like you're one step ahead of me.

Anyone with a CAD program wish to volunteer to create grip overlays? :)

Thanks,

Josh <><

1 - 13 of 13 Posts