Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, lots of us carry snubnosed revolvers (under 3" barrels), but do any of you have snubs you just like taking out and shooting? I practice regularly with my little S&W M638, but for some fun range time, it's hard to beat a Model 10-7 square butt with 2" tube and a big bag full of .38 SWC reloads.

I like both the 3" round butt M10 and the 2 1/2" M66-1, but there's something very Joe Friday-ish about the snubby 10.

It's really not all that much bigger than the M638, but the bigger K frame and all steel construction make a huge difference in recoil management. And did I mention six rounds instead of five?

Anybody got any snubs they like shooting just because they're fun?

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. You bet! I "work" with my J-frame carry guns regularly, but really enjoy shooting my 3 1/16" Ruger SP101 and old square butt Model 10 2" and a 2 1/2" Model 19 now and again.

Best.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hmmm, I can't say I have fun shooting my snubbies the way I have fun shooting the 4 inch M-19 or my High Powers, no. I like snubbies cuz they are easy to carry, but shooting them is a bit of work for me, especially the one with .357 mag ammo.

The "funnest" shooting session I have had with a snubby was when I was practicing at 15 yards with 110 gr JHPs in my Rossi .357, and getting them (well, most of them ;)) in a 6 inch oval target. I wasn't cranking them out as fast as I could go, but I wasn't stalling either, probably about one round every second. I thought this was decent shooting, altho I'd like to be able to do it quicker, or make smaller groups at slower speed. Something to work on.

While I was reloading, another guy came up and asked me if that was really a .357 snubby I was shooting. I confirmed it. He said, "I thought so! That's really good shooting with a snubby like that!"

I was so pleased that I immediately packed up and went home. Figured with the size of my head at that point, I'd have trouble aiming properly and send the next round through my neighbor's target, or some other guy would whip out a snubby and put 6 thru the same hole or some such (I have seen that done, amazing what a guy can do if he practices alot).

So I guess that session counted as fun.

elb

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,

Today, I only own one snubbie. A S&W M19 2 1/2" blue model. Trigger is a smooth 7 3/4 lbs. DA and pops everything I've ever fed it! I've owned a lot of Smith's, but this is my favorite K-frame. In the N-frame my favorite is the M57 4".
Wives M-60 3" .38 Special is a peach, as well.

Wes

·
Registered
180 Posts
+1 on the SP 101. I like to take mine out every second range session. Usually I shoot warmer .38's in it, but pushing some Golden Sabre or Silver Tip .357's through it can be fun.

Mine is the 3 1/3 " bbl version. have a trijicon night bead on it (its my bedside gun) and Pachmeyer grips.
It makes a great range gun and wasy to carry.

Just that when I go out the door, usually my Mak goes with me just due to its higher capacity.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Leland,

I will be heading to the range today as I am off from work and guess which gun I will have in my pocket to shoot while waiting on a warranty repair on another handgun?

My S&W 642-2! I like to buy inexpensive .38 rounds and plink away with it to see how far down range I can accurately put holes in a B-27 target!

It is kind of neat to have a pocket snubby to carry to pass the time when you are in the right place at the right time!

I do it just for fun.

Chris

G

·
Firstly, we can all just save ourselves a lot of time and grief by admitting, up front, that the K-frame snubs, especially the Models 19 and 66 2.5," are quite simply the coolest guns that S&W has ever made.

That said, any time I get to shoot my Model 19, I consider it a ton of fun, just because it's such a slick, classy little revolver.

The fact that I can perforate a coffee can with it at twenty-five yards doesn't hurt, either.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I'm a weirdo - I just love the feel of a 3" J-frame. Great to shoot, great to carry. Just gives me a happy feeling to see or hold one - wonderful type of gun to shoot.

G

·
J & K Frames are great. I'm currently looking for a M-19 snubbie or 4". Seems all I ever have had are "N" frames, and my current snubbie is a PC627 2 5/8" which I love to shoot and is one of my CCW carries. Shoots great and has a real smooth action, very light double action. I mostly fire it in double action, just enjoying the feel of the hammer raising then firing.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, that's nice.
I wonder who drilled those two extra holes in the cylinder.

I need to go shoot my little Bodyguard before somebody talks me out of it. I got it from the police chief in a little nearby town, and over lunch yesterday a retired chief kept trying to get it away from me. It's not even a Chief's Special.

·
Registered
430 Posts
You guys with your snubbies are making me sick! Nice guns everyone!

I like to shoot revolvers for fun, but no snubbies here. It's on the list, I figure I'll enjoy shooting it too. Maybe that's just cause I have fun shooting guns in general.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Leland Ray, what kind of stocks are those on that Bodyguard?
Stephen's right, those are S&W "banana" stocks. I got them for another J frame, but they just look so very cool on the Bodyguard that they live there now.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did they ever make them in a K-frame size?
I don't think so. The nice thing about these is that they make it easier to keep a good grip on the gun, but without adding too much bulk.

Unfortunately they're still a little big for pocket carry, but I could carry them if I had on a long shirt.

PS: Go take a look at Mr. Camp's thread on his new Model 10 grips. I bet Don Collins has something really special for a round butt K frame.

http://handgunsandammo.proboards36.com/index.cgi?board=Revolvers&action=display&thread=1138859590

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was at the range today with my S&W M-66 with the three inch barrel. I took the Hi Viz sights off and put a gold bead patridge sight and it shoots very well. Last week I shot my Ruger Service Six with the 2 3/4 inch barrel and the week before that my S&W 686 with the 2 1/2 inch barrel and before that my S&W M-940 and M-60. You get the idea. Love the short barrel

G

·
Chubbypidgeon, Yes they do make a K frame size. They are a bit harder to find, but I have sold many K frame "Banana Grips", when I was selling S&W Grips on the other S&W forum. I will check around. Bob

1 - 20 of 25 Posts