Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, its a long time before serious winter weather sets in here in SE Texas. Almost Halloween and the temps are 75-80 deg daytime and maybe 65 deg at night.

It being "shorts/t-shirt weather maybe 9 of 12 mos (heck, some years 11 of 12 mos!) I'm comfortable carrying a .38 snub with the FBI load for CHL duties most of the time.

But what about when it does get cold - when people (and the expected bad guy) are more layered up. Anybody switch to a more potent carry piece in 9mm or .40 or .45?

Or are a lot of us comfortable with the snubnose pretty much all year round?

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. In cooler months when an outer garment can much more easily cover I larger handgun than the snub, I often times do carry one. Usually it is a Hi Power 9mm or some 1911 in .45 ACP...but the snub is also present, being delegated to backup role.

If I opt for a revolver, it is usually either a .38 Special 3 or 4" bbl or a .357 Magnum in the same bbl lenght...but the snub remains present as well.

A combination I frequently tote is the Ruger SP101 in the belt holster with the Model 642 in a pocket holster. The reason is that the same J-frame-size speedloader works for both. Initially, the Ruger is loaded with Corbon's excellent 125-gr. DPX. It is a mid-power load that is pretty easy to control in the Ruger and one that seems to work fine regardless of how much it passes through before smacking the "soft target." The snub and reload have Remington 158-gr. LHP +P.

An easy-to-tote-concealed combination is Star's Model BM with a spare magazine and of course, the snub w/1 reload.

Before retiring from police service, this combination was my usual...

Best.

G

·
I go from a 642 or model 60 to a K- frame 38 with a 3" barrel. Here in Florida most days are fairly mild so a perps outer clothing is not really that big of a issue.

Stephen, if you don't mind, what type of grips do you have on that black j-frame?

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Those are called "Hideout Grips" and I bought them at www.brownells.com but understand that they can be bought elsewhere. I used to have the address in my old computer addresses but no longer do. They are inexpensive, under $20 a pop and are of nylon. You can get them smooth or with a "textured" finish.

It may or may not be deemed important to you but while the K-frame Hideouts will work as they come with a speedloader, the same is not true with the J-frame versions. I relieved the top of the grip with a dremel tool and then smoothed up a bit with sandpaper until the grips allow easy use of the HKS speedloader.

Though some such as Erich advise not having a problem with loose fit on the K-frame Hideouts, I have tried several pair and only have one that fit snugly w/o my glassbedding the grip. I have used several of the J-frame Hideouts and all fit snugly.

As they come from the factory, they will not work with speedloaders. After relieving and slicking up the surface a bit, they work fine.

Here you can see the grip reduction and reshaping. Takes less than a half-hour. Again, this may not be important to you. If you use speed strips, the grips work fine as they come from the factory.

FWIW, since these pictures were taken, I roughened up the surface a bit with an engraving pencil. Angled against the light just so, you can see a light "spider web" texture. It adds a bit of extra purchase if hands are wet with sweat, water or blood and has not proven "grabby" on clothing a tall.

Best.

Best.

·
Registered
392 Posts
in my area of the deep south, i tote a glock 17 year round....its my duty weapon, and im big enough that an untucked "bowling" type shirt that is designed to be left untucked so it doesnt look sloppy i.e. the squared hem.....hides it well enough.

if i were to resort to a snubby on my belt and still use a cover garment it would be my 2" 6 shot model 64.

if youre going to wear more clothing, it will allow more gun. and if i were to carry a J frame snubby as a primary, i'd carry two of them.

my answer to your question about layered clothed badguys and moving up in power....well im comfortable with a heavy +p .38spl for such a dress code youd expect to see in the winter in the south.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello,

My S&W 642-2 has become my "Four Seasons" handgun due to its concealability and portability. I too enjoy putting it in my coat pocket and it makes it easier to get to while in the car during the winter months.

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts