Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of a friend brought me a very rusty (but shootable) S&W Military & Police 4 screw pencil barrel 4" .38 Special. Serial number was C173XXX. Obviously pre-Model 10. I cleaned off as much rust as I could and will return it. I think the serial number indicates manufacture in about 1951. Any opinions? I intend to recommend a refinish by a competent pistolsmith as it still shootable. I wonder how they keep the rust out of the cylinders and barrel while the guts and exterior are allowed to degenerate.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy oberstlt,

The sad truth is that some folks simply do not respect a firearm they way many of our members do. Maybe it was a family keepsake handed down and simply thrown in a chest in the attic or basement, because they did not understand better. It is simply hard to say. But I agree with you, it is hard to see a fine weapon abused and not let it bother me too sir.

Your friend of a friend should be thankful you were around and willing to make things right again for them.

twoguns

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes sir Oberstlt had the same thing happen to me a while back. A buddy of mine brought me a S&W M-36 that was rusted and pitted badly. Said he forgot it was under the front seat of his truck for about 2yrs. With nothing to loose I cleaned all the rust off and sprayed it down with brake cleaner. I used one of them Blue Wonder Bluing Kits and went to work on it. Turned out fair but nowhere near a pro job. The gun seems to be holding up as he keeps it in his glove compartment now. Been about 8mos and still looking OK. Just my tail of how some treat their guns.

Best Baldy.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bore and cylinders were still good tho! I should have offered him a hunred bucks for it but I didn't. I have enough projects.

G

·
I picked up a pre-model 10 about 2 years ago for 100.00 from a guy at work. I have never shot it and it is in about 95% condition. It has a 5" barrel and while not rare, it is worth about 3X's what I paid for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts