Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a pair of grips on Ebay advertised as follows :
"Up for bid is 1 set of New original Smith and Wesson GI (For Air Force .38 Aircrew Revolvers) K-frame grips, (1 left 1 right). These are real Wood grips. Grips Are sealed in original Military package, Marked "GRIP REVOLVER 1ea. P/N 5910301"

The grips escutcheons are silver and show a bird with spread wings. There is a sticker inside the one grip on which is printed "MADE IN ITALY". The package was also marked 7/82. The entire grip, including checkering and inside of grip is covered with a thick coating of polyurethane. The quality of the grips is not up to S&W standards of the early 80's.
What do I have ? Are they US GI grips for a K-Frame or was I ripped off ?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Sorry for ya Mr Broomhandle as I hate to get shot in the pocket book myself. I think you will find they are fakes. You could contact ebay about it and they may help. If you used a credit card sometimes they will get your money back. Good luck.

Best Baldy..

G

·
Or just contact the vendor and demand a refund upon his receipt back of his "Smith & Wesson" grips. There may be, as policy, an inspection period for items sold over eBay within which you can return the item for a full refund (minus shipping/insurance costs). At least some of the gun sale/auction websites have such.

·
Registered
645 Posts
broomhandle,

Sorry about that.......
:(" title=":mad:" border="0"/> I would take nevadaalan advise, however, it has been my experience with ebay that anything under $500 you can kiss it good by, they are a pain to deal with IMO which ain't much, but my patients run on the short side, but maybe they have changed their policies in the last few months.

Papabear

·
Registered
37 Posts
Please post a picture when they arrive. I'm curious as to what the do look like, if you don't mind.......................

Regards,

G

·
The K frame Aircrewman with alloy cylinder was adopted in 1952 and quickly dropped by the U.S military due to cylinder cracking. The commercial cylinders were replaced by steel in 1954 and the gun was designated Model 12 in 1957.

The Model 12 for many years had a slightly narrower frame than the other K frame guns and was widened to "standard" in 1984, so 7/82 produced replacement grips might be technically correct, if not original for the gun. The USGI part, of course is bogus, unless the seller is simply claiming they "fit the Aircrewman".

40,000 Aircrewmen, *miltary* designation M13, were produced; most were destroyed; some were modified with steel cylinders,(serial # mismatched to the rest of the gun). Grips were numbered to the gun. Caveat emptor - lots of fakes out there.

Jeff

G

·
These grips were sold by Gunparts Corp (Numrich) as being US Issue grips, and came in a brown paper wrap with a USG stock number. They were made by Sile, in Italy, and I'm told they were actual US Government issue. I bought several pairs for use on some K frame revolvers as I found them to be slightly thicker and having (to me, anyway) a better feel than factory magna grips.
I have been told by several different sources-as well as Numrich- that these were actual USG issue grips.

I don't know if there are any still for sale at Numrich, but I bought several pairs over about 5 years or so for about $7 a pair, new in the US Government wrapper and still have about 4 pairs left.

I find them very usable.

Mark

G

·
Parts brought to you by the lowest bidder, The military buying cheap aftermarket parts ? Say it isnt so. It is pretty common, look at the fiasco over the M9 magazines, lots of junk third party mags in the supply system, not to mention AR parts and magazines made by allmost anyone, all are Authentic GI issue parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts