Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an owner of only 1 smith auto at the moment; a 4506.

Over the years, I have owned several others, but none seem to stay as permanent parts of the collection very long.
I have a 4043 inbound, which appears to be a keeper, like the 4506.

Your thoughts on Smith autos please, barring the "political" views of and towards Smith......just from a functional standpoint.

best,

Chris~

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Chris,

I've owned two in the "American Pride" series--a 410 and a 457.

They are great economy semi-automatics, but I always wanted something fancier in Stainless Steel frame and slide construction and couldn't afford them, i.e. 3913 and 4006. I know several LE officer's that swear by them.

The neigboring city issues the S&W 4006.

I wouldn't turn down any of the "police turn-ins" that are in the surplus pipeline right now.

Chris

G

·
I voted against them only because of a really negative experience I have been going through with their quality control and alleged customer support.

G

·
I did not vote. I do not have any use for a 1911 Clone of the guns I have been building for 20+ years. I was doing this long before anyone else that I know of, and mine were far superior to ANY factory 1911. My Online 1911 Students build far better guns than these, the first time out. My tastes are simple: I like the BEST!

·
Registered
898 Posts
I own no S&W autos at the moment, but have generally had positive experience with the DA 9mm's and .45s I've owned.

In fact a Model 669 saved my hide once, but believe it or not my 1911 "jones" won out over sentimentality and it was traded off. That would be one pistol about which I would never say "Oh, if this gun could only talk.." Wherever it is I hope it keeps its mouth shut! ;)

The Model 645 I owned was a gem; it would feed resized empty cases if not too dirty. Of course that's just a good parlor trick, we don't normally load our magazines with empties for social or range work.

Dave/Captaineagle: There have been bazillions of Smith & Wesson DA autoloaders in LE service over the years. What experiences do you have with them? Your sage words would be much appreciated, just "tell it like it is", as you always do. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I think the used S&W pistols present the best semiauto value out there.

At present, I only own a 1076 from the S&W semiauto line.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Carried one ( a model 39-2) as a duty weapon for the last 4 years of my LEO career. It was a dependable accurate weapon. Had a 5906 several years later....really liked it. Don't know why I ever sold it. Would have another one without hesitation.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the 4043 inbound is a civilian model, not a LE trade in.

i have no troubles with LE trades....my Beretta, 4506 and model 28 have all been in the LE service catagory.
Most PD weapons get carried often, used less, and most times are only qualified with.
My 4506 came from my Dealer, and it actually WAS his sidearm! [small NJ pd]

My 92FS came out of Albany NY PD [I'm told] and the 28 from God knows where.....

The 4043 has less than 100 rounds thru the gun, and was Mfg. in 1993 [late] Comes with 4 11 round mags, box papers and such. Comes with novaks too! [black]

I just ordered a front tritium sight thru CDNN for $19 bucks, and Numerich has a Millet series 100 adjustable for the gun for $20.
I plan on shooting the darn thing first....before any swaps or upgrades.....short of a set of rubber hogues, as I have a bad aversion to the Smith delrin grips.

Thanks for the replies gentlemen, I'll be curious to hear what others have to say!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have one Smith auto, it is a 22A in .22. An excellent gun, especially giving the $100 price tag I gave for it in more or less new condition. I would definitely buy another.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
EffEnn, I had a 6946 (a DAO variant of the smaller-framed 9x19 6906), and I really liked the function of S&W's DAO. While I was initially troubled by the lack of a second-strike capability, I soon put that concern behind me as I never needed it in thousands of rounds.

I would suggest that you immediately change out the recoil and mag springs (and possibly the firing pin spring) on any used gun, just because you don't know what they've been through. I'm a big fan of the Wolff extra power springs.

Your inbound gun looks really lovely. You should look at the new .40 loads from Double Tap (they're also a Wolff springs distributor) and consider getting some of their high-quality, top-performance loads for your new beauty. :)

G

·
I used to own a 659 9mm many moons ago, now I currently own a SW99 .40cal, carried at work for 2 years, and have a .22cal target (though my least favorite).

Am seriously considering the new M&P in .40cal.

Yes I do like them.

RC

G

·
I've got 39-2s and 59-2s. I like them. I'm not much of a DA person but these work well for me. The SW 39-2 seems to fit my hand well and it's a nice weapon to carry.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I could go for an old 39, but I don't have one yet.

The SW 39-2 seems to fit my hand well and it's a nice weapon to carry.
Alas, I had a beauty of a 39 that I sold years ago when a tight finance time in my life sprang up. the friend I sold it to taunts me with that gun to this day.....
Probably the best 9mm I ever owned.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I still miss my 439, the first semiauto I owned.

Never have gotten around to picking up another one, though I've seen some that tempted me.

G

·
They seem to be OK auto's but have never done well in Competion. They are mainly carried by LEO's who have no say in the matter. A guy named Tom Campbell tried very hard to make one do IPSC but never won anything to my knowedge. I had a 639 crunchenticker for a while but never got to like it. 9mm is not me. I will stick to the 1911 types.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have only shot two S&W autos, a friend's 10mm and a 457 I owned for a few years. Don't know why, but I didn't shoot either one worth a darn. Most people like em but I think I'll pass from here on out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Derek:

the two smith auto's you have described both have rather large grips and first time out can be alot to control accurarely.
I found the 4506 very inaccurate UNTIL I swapped the grips out for a set of Hogue rubbers! I prefer a high grip on my pistols, and once I established that on that battleship of a .45, I figgered it out!
To be honest, I have found that 4506 to be as accurate as my Springfield Match 1911, and on occasions, even more accurate than the 1911.

My experience with the .40 cartdride has been that the recoil tends to be "snappier" that the .45; where the .45 is more of a "push".
The only 10mm I ever shot was the 1006...the 10mm cousin to my 4506. I would compare the recoil of the 10 to "the push of a 45, with the snap of a .40".

Your mileage may vary

1 - 20 of 62 Posts