Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Can someone recommend a source for 39-2 magazines? I'd prefer a factory new or excellent used mag, but such seem virtually impossible to locate. Is there a reliable aftermarket magazine available? Thanks. --c

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CDNN is one of my old dependables, but neither their latest catalog nor their Web site lists them. Thanks, nontheless, for the suggestion. --c

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, fellows. You've solved my problem. I'm surprised that when I goggled for Smith 39 magazines neither Midway or Cheaper Than Dirt came up. --c

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Maybe because they list them primarilly forthe later models? I dunno.

AJAX grips also shows the same mag at $44.95 which is more than S&W gets for it ($41.00).

(Yes, I'm still looking) :)

Promag and National and the others I'm not willing to deal with. Too much hassle sending back the ones that don't work. And I don't trust them anyways.

Wish Mec-Gar made some for the 39.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy again,

With both Smiths and every other brand of pistol I have carried, I either use (1) factory mags (often made for the factory by Mec-Gar) or (2) Mec-Gar magazines.

While I know some folks have had problems with M-G mags, personally in my experience, I have never had an issue with a single of their mags. I normally use their +2 mag offerings, for example their P226 9mm 17 rd magazine, in nickel finish, to readily tell it at a glance from my factory 15 rd mags. I do the same thing with HP mags and other brands when I have that option.

Where many of the other brands are concerned, I have consistently seen them be nothing but a major problem for folks during qual courses. It became enough of an issue that the last two agencies I worked for said factory only magazines for duty use/quals. The weapons we issued, except for Glock, had factory mags made by M-G.

It is not my intent, nor that of any other member I believe, to try to "trash" certain brands of mags. Rather we are just trying to share our personal experiences with various brands.

Hope this helps a bit. I think the mags CTD listed were shown as being Smith factory mags. I have no idea who makes their mags now. But if they are marked "Italy" they are M-G mags with the Smith brand name added - just as M-G does for Sig, Beretta, and many others.

twoguns

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Two Guns,

I too have found Mec-Gar mags to be excellent. My 17-round Sig 226 version has been 100% reliable as has the 20-rounder for my Beretta 92. The latter is almost flush fitting, which I find quite amazing.

By the way, I ordered the factory mag for my 39-2 from Midway--$32 including shipping (USPS). Thanks, Pat.

I appreciate the helpfulness of the members of this forum--good people.

--c

·
Registered
800 Posts
I remember having one or two in my mag box. I'll have to pull it out and see if they are still in there. I was going to use them for a reason to buy a M39 but I haven't done it yet so I most likely won't. The box is buried in the garage and I'll try and get to it this weekend. If I find them I'll PM you and get your address. I'm not going to promise I still have them but if I do they are yours. you just pay for the shipping. This is something I learned from the other guys here on this forum who have done the same for me.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Corky,

I ran across the mags you want at "Cabelas.com" They are Triple K Brand and are selling for $19.99 w/ free shipping w/SHIP727 code added w/order. I'll try and get to the garage this weekend.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The stainless magazine for my Smith 39 arrived yesterday from Midway. It came in S&W packaging w/ a small "s" over an "m" stamped in the metal and "Smith & Wesson" in minuscule lettering on the plastic base plate.

I was surprised to find that it is not quite flush fitting, extending perhaps a quarter inch below the the butt of the grip. However, it holds nine rounds rather than the eight of the original mags that came w/ the pistol thirty plus years ago.

The enclosed invoice states that it is for the 439, 539, 639, 909, 952, 3904, 3906, 3944, and 3946 as well as the 39.

I haven't had the opportunity to test it at the range, but A-Zoom snap caps/dummy rounds cycle without a problem.

I expect it to prove a good buy at $32, including shipping. --c

·
Registered
800 Posts
Corky,

Sorry, I looked and so far I can not locate the mags. If I do run across them I will PM you and let you know. I am glad you found some. Good Luck with them.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Spikey,

Thanks for the effort. Yes, I have found a source or sources for the mags. I'll also keep SARCO in mind. By the way, the Midway mag that I purchased last week functions fine. --c

G

·
Corky:

You may be interested to know that you can buy 10-round S & W 39 magazines from a guy on Gunbroker. I have some, and I haven't had a problem with them so far.

Natchez Shooters Supply, at www.natchezss.com, sometimes has them, and so does the Gun Source.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts