Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends, Recently I've seen the blued Smith 21-4 Classic (.44 Sp) being sold for around $500 or a bit less. Last week CDNN had such an offer. With a MSRP of over $900, I must assume that this latest version of a "classic" isn't selling. What's the reason, caliber no longer popular, distrust of the lock, or something else?
Thanks for any comments. --c

·
Registered
399 Posts
I don't know why there not selling but it might be a combination of all thoes things. My wife bought me the TR model 21-4 Last year. I don't like the worm hole but I can live with it. It's a great caliber to shoot but if you don't reload it is high dollar. I can see why John Taffin has a soft spot for the .44cal. Here's mine and it's a keeper even with the bling.

Best,Baldy

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
The bling would be off putting for those not lucky enough to have been to Thunder Ranch with Clint and Heidi (I recommend it but am not going to OR myself). The round butt is not what I think of in a gun of this size. 44 SPL is good enough but rare these days and the lock system is ok. If you don't want it, don't lock it! I see lots of the 45 ACP square butts in IDPA competition. I prefer my revolvers in revolver cartridges but there are some really good IDPAers that can flat fly with the moon clipped ACPs! In the interest of full disclosure I own S&W stock (Lord it was under $4) and like S&Ws. I own Glocks but if I was starting out I would buy the M&P9s. All my revolvers are S&W but I would like to have a Colts too.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 22-4, also known as a model 1917. If I could have only gotten this revolver in 44 spec. I would have been the happiest guy on the planet. As it is I really like this revolver. I'm loading 45 rim cartridges now so I feel this is a legitimate revolver but I do plan on using some 45 acps as well just for the hell of it. I like these "retro" revolvers. I don't know how well they sell, I suspect they aren't, at least in my neck of the woods but I never cared much for what other people thought anyway.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Nice revolver you got there, Baldy. I really wonder about revolvers sale or lack of at times. I think price as compared to some of the new plastic pistols plus only giving six rounds (usually!) prevents most new shooters from being too interested. A good example is the two 624 RB three inchers I bought for $239 each several years ago and the three inch 66, same price. These imply did not sell, so I got a bargain back then, a "steal" at current value. I have yet to go back on my word when I said I'd never buy a Smith with a hole drilled in the side, but if the right pistol were to be offered, I might.

·
Registered
148 Posts
odds are they were over priced and didn't sell. demand went down and price went with it.

demand for pre lock guns went up and up went the price.

the market drives the price, no mystery.

these are good guns, and as the price comes down my interest in one is going up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts