Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,
Ive had a rather long absence from posting on the board lately.
the main reasons being because of my frustrations of Australian laws making it difficult to enjoy my hobby.

So I decided there is only one way to effectively enjoy the hobby, and so I am now employed at a local gun club.
and currently undergoing a range officers course.

Our club allows newcomers off the street to come in and fire club guns after a short training session. all club guns are bolted to a safety system which will not allow anyone to point the gun in the wrong direction thus making it very safe to use. once a member purchases their own gun they are then allowed to use them without the "safety wires". if anyone is interested i will at some stage provide some pics of this system.

Needles to say i feel very lucky to be employed at the club as an opportunity like this in my part of the Globe is very rare. the benefits allow me to use/demonstrate a variety of weapons including some that are not available to the general public. eg 15round .40cal Glock is only for police issue in Australia, the general public is not allowed to own a .40cal and we are restricted to 10 round mags.......... ???please don't laugh.. hehe.
So the bottom line is i have a smile from ear to ear

so now i have access to more weapons i most likely will be frequenting this place a bit more once again.

cheers Bang bang.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Well howdy Mr. BangBang,

First sir, welcome back.

Second, welcome to the firearms instructor club too. While you will sometimes find it a bit frustrating, for the most part I have always found it to be very gratifying to help someone who has been struggling suddenly understand hitting the target consistently is not all that hard if you concentrate on things.

When you do get the chance, I would enjoy seeing pics of your range and its set up. I always find it interesting to compare range set up with other instructors.

About the only perk I could offer my fellow instructors at work was the chance to shoot until they got tired each qualification day, once the office had qualed and left the range. Since I control the magic key to the ammo, I always made sure the other instructors stopped shooting when they got tired, not when they ran out of ammo, lol.

Hopefully you will find something similar for you. If not unlimited ammo, at least a certain amount that will allow you to stay hands on with all the various platforms you might have to give safety briefings on.

Please keep us posted on your experiences there sir.

twoguns

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Mr twoguns,

I took these pics on my mobile phone last weekend.
the first one shows the range and the individual booths. customers are "locked" into the booth, the windows are bullet proof glass

you can see a green light on one of them. this indicates a person is using that booth. when they are finished or need help they flick a red light on and press a buzzer.

the second pic shows the bracket bolted to each public gun for beginners and those who don't own a gun of there own. it is padlocked at the three arrow points. the two side ones have a flexible wire cable and the bottom one is a solid aluminum rod that goes through the bench. obviously it is not fail safe but it keeps the Police dept happy and helps to deter people coming in for the sole purpose of committing suicide.

next time i go to work i will take some pics from down range.

as far as the ammo goes, yes i can get to use up a fair bit but as i have just started i don't want to push my luck as i am not sure what the "acceptable" procedures are as yet.

there is one booth that has a row of 5 metallic plates at 20 yards. i guess they are about 8 to 10 inches in dia, Ive never walked up to look at them. a long piece of rope is used to raise a bracket and pull them up into place once knocked over. so Ive had some fun trying to shoot them but thought i could not hit them. after a very frustrating hour of not hitting them i finally found out from another employee that if the metal bracket connected to the rope used to raise them up stays up in place behind the plate instead of resetting in its lower position then the bullet will not have even power to knock the plate over......so once i realized this i discovered i was in-fact hitting them about 70% of the time. :)

cheers bang bang.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts