Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a friend who has come on hard times and is trying to sell off some small pistol magnum primers. I've got them listed here in the classified so that part of this thread is a shameless plug for the ad.

That said, I'm thinking about buying them and substituting them for a load I've worked up using regular non-magnum primers. I realize I'll need to start over working up that load if I do that. I'm trying to figure out the actual "hotness" difference between them and regular small pistol primers. I've seen posted chronograph results between the two using the same amounts of powder. About all I can get from that is it seems that, when using faster burning powders, the chronograph results show an almost negligible difference in fps, usually in the 10 to 15 fps increase. I'd be using VV N320 in 9MM pushing a 124 gr. bullet and I know that powder is a relatively fast burning powder. Currently for that bullet I use 4.1 grains and get an average fps of about 1038 fps. Using regular small pistol primers I've gone as high as using 4.3 grains with no over pressure signs. If I use the magnum primers, I'd start at 3.8, maybe 3.9 grains of N320.

Anybody on this board have any experience switching between small pistol primers and small pistol magnum primers? If so I'd sure appreciate your experience with doing that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Winchester has the Mag and large standard pistol primer as one. I just tried them with no problems. Google the brand you have and you should be able to pick up the info you need. Good luck.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would be going from Winchester small pistol primers to Winchester small pistol magnum primers. I should have mentioned brand name in the original post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice that you have inventory in stock, but we do have a vendor section that should be used.
Greetings from Kentuckyglockstore,
WE are here by announcing to you that we have Primers and other ammunitions and glocks in stock,
checkout the Federal small pistol primers ;
and other Primers in stock

And many other glock and ammunition checkout Home - KENTUCKY GLOCK STORE

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would be going from Winchester small pistol primers to Winchester small pistol magnum primers. I should have mentioned brand name in the original post.
Greetings from Kentuckyglockstore,
WE are here by announcing to you that we have Primers and other ammunitions and glocks in stock,
checkout the Federal small pistol primers ;
and other Primers in stock

And many other glock and ammunition checkout Home - KENTUCKY GLOCK STORE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts