Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use Simple Green for exactly one purpose, and it works wonders:

It's great for cleaning black powder firearms. I use it for cleaning Colt replica cap and ball revolvers, and it cuts cleaning time by at least 50%, if not more.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
"Simple Green they called her, waiting in the sun, waiting for someone, to take her home...."

Oh, wait, wrong time and place. Wrong lyrics too.

I've tried the stuff. I remain unimpressed.

I wipe everything down with Hoppes and use a bore snake. Then, I rinse everything that won't melt under extremely hot water. Then I aim a blowdryer at it for about half and hour. Oil, then slap back together.

The pistol sparkles :)

Would you please outline this Simple Green technique? Maybe I'm just not using it right.

Thanks,

Josh <><

P.S. I am impressed however with its automotive grime removing capabilities. J.S.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The secret is to use the Simple Green undiluted. I remove the barrel and cylinder, then spray the stuff into both and let them sit for a couple of minutes, brush out, then rinse with hot water. Then I set the oven on the lowest possible temperature (roughly 175 degrees) and heat until dry. Oil the metal while it's still hot, reassemble the gun, and put it away.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Leland Ray and all,

Simple Green works wonders stripping old finish off stocks. Paint on with a brush (full strength), wait 15-20 minutes, repeat as needed.
You'll be suprised how fast it removes old finish. Haven't tried it on the RKW Remmie finish...that may be a differenct story.

Leland, the pistol is "done" when the tender timer pops? ;)

Wes

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Windex is also great to have if you ever shoot corrosive ammunition.
Or run a chance of it (see below *).
A squirt down the bore before you leave the range might buy you needed time in case something comes up and you can't clean right away at the range when you get home.

*I never shot corrosive ammo, so never cared.
Then I found out I had some foreign corrosive-primed 30 Carbine ammo.....after I had shot it.
No damage done, but I now keep a small bottle of Windex in my range stuff just in case.

Simple Green:
I started using it some (diluted) this summer to clean pistols. I still use "real" bore cleaner on the barrel. I put the other parts in a bucket and pour the Simple Green over it and leave it while I'm cleaning the barrel. The "sludge" wipes right off.
Make sure to re-lube everything that you keep lubed, because it will take all the oil off, leaving it literally squeaky clean.

WARNING: I have heard that Simple Green can damage the anodizing on aluminum alloy parts. I don't have any evidence one way or the other, but there it is.

G

·
I've used Simple Green quite a bit on my various Glocks and my Walther P99s. Undiluted, it works well in removing powder residue and general 'grunge' that accumulates in the nooks and crannies. I still prefer to scrub out the barrel with MPro7 or something more traditional like Hoppe's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts