Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Regulator,
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Took my new Sig 716 Patrol Rifle to the range today. As is my norm, I'd previously cleaned, lubed, and familiarized myself with the new rifle prior to the range.

First impression was that it was a nicely made, piston driven, slightly oversize M16. It came in with a 16" barrel(1:10" twist) that comes with nice usable front and rear BUIS. Mechanically zeroing the rear I counted 104 clicks and centered it at 52 clicks. At the range this proved almost perfect only needing a few clicks to the left to center the group. Well done, Sig.

I then proceeded to mount my 10X Super Sniper Scope on it and attempted to get some groups. This was hampered by the heavy 7lb (or so) trigger and my lack of trigger time. Loads were 175 grain Sierra Match Kings over various charges. Nothing fancy all in military brass...

Final 10 round group was about 2" with the majority inside an inch. My belief is that with proper ammo, a trigger job, and more shooting time we will have a solid sub MOA shooter.
Again, very good for a "Patrol" rifle.

At 9.3 lbs the Sig is no lightweight, but compares favorably with the M14 and some other semi auto .308's. My custom GAP AR-10 tips the scales at 15.5 lbs, but it's got a truck axel for a barrel.

The Sig does not come cheap, but it's no more expensive than some .308's and considerably cheaper than some guns already on the market.

It's notable that the Sig 716 uses a gas piston and op rod system that is smooth shooting and extremely high quality. The bore axis is low and attributes to the soft recoil and fast recovery times.

With the short 16" barrel I would have expected muzzle blast to be extreme, but it was less than anticipated. I dare say less than the M14/M1A.

In the "patrol rifle" mode this rifle would benefit from a low power variable scope and would be fairly easy to enter or egress from a vehicle.

My only complaint is that the trigger pull is heavy. Seven pounds or so and that needs to be corrected before the full potential of the rifle can be realized.

Folks, Sig has a winner in the Model 716. As work gets out these are going to get hard to find. It's a keeper.

Wes

·
Regulator,
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gib,

I'd like to see the trigger set at about 3 1/2 pounds, maybe 4 pounds, that breaks like glass.

Shooting two stage triggers is easy once you get used to them and they've been properly tuned. My AR-10 and M-14SA are prime examples.

For glass I"m going to put a Luppie 1.25 X 4 VX-R on it with firedot reticle. Perfect in it's "Patrol Rifle" role.

Wes

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Are you going to have a 'smith work on the trigger or drop in a replacement? A Geissele trigger, maybe?

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Hello Wes,

The new SIG 716 sounds great! I guess the trigger is a vexing thing that you probably already have figured out.... It sounds like a little stone work to the hammer hook and dis connector will go a long way....

I am kind of grinning because a neighbor dropped off about 100 rounds of .308 the day before yesterday for me and I don't even own a .308.... I guess I have to work on that...

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
sig 716 - federal 7.62x51 147gr FTE

I'm having issues(FTE) after testing my sig 716 for the first time today on a normal gas setting, using federal 7.62x51 157gr. Have not tried any ammo yet.

Any advice will greatly appreciated.

·
Regulator,
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gents,

If your having trouble in the 716 with Federal 147 gr ammo I guess that I'd check to see if you cleaned and lubed the Sig prior to usage. I make it a habit with my new rifles and rarely have a stoppage.

Check the magazine. Buy several more and try those, too. Buy Mag-Pul .308 mags...they are what the Sig 716 comes with and mine have worked fine.

Ammo: How old is it? What condition? How has it been stored? If old or you don't know what pedigree buy a couple boxes of 147 grain .308 ball from the "big three" or a know reputable maker.

You're post noted you hadn't shot any yet? That must be a mis-print. Did you mean that your hadn't bought any yet?

Most of us with 716's have found that they are very reliable. Except one internet nut who shoots crap that barely function the rifle and then complains that the Sig 716 is a POS.

After you've done that check back with us and let us know the results.

Wish that we could get a look at the weapon and ammo...could you send some pics and more info???

Wes

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Someone will be along shortly to discuss ammo I'm sure.

From what I've heard, the Federal Gold Medal is the most accurate factory stuff out there. I've got a couple boxes but never fired any myself.

Regards,

Pat

·
Regulator,
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Juan608,

Any quality ammo should function in the 716. I'd buy some 147 gr Federal "American Eagle" ammo and try that. Mine likes it, but I'm primarily a reloader and shoot a lot of Sierra Match Kings.

The 147 Gr. FMJ bullet should shoot well in your 716. Just remember to buy quality ammo. There's a lot of substandard stuff on the market.

For good remanufactured ammo check out Black Hills Ammunition.

Hope this helps.

Wes

·
Registered
817 Posts
Mr Howe, I am always looking for advice about ammo. You have had good results with the American Eagle, and I gather that Black Hills has also been satisfactory. You would be correct to speculate that I don't shoot enough to have lots of first hand knowledge of a variety of brands other than winchester, remington, and the other national brands. I am very concerned about eastern Europe, including Ivan.

·
Premium Member
2,284 Posts
George - Black Hills is Premium Ammunition!

In fact, it's probably over-all the best ammo that's currently available.

·
Regulator,
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Juan608,

What type of ammo you feed your rifle will depend on your requirements. Do you want match accuracy or military ball accuracy.

Try Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grainers for match ammo and Federal "American Eagle" 147 gr FMJ's for the latter military accuracy.

My 716 LOVES Lapua 155 grain Scenars used in my handloads.

Hope this helps.

Wes

·
Regulator,
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
George,

Black Hills "remanufactured" ammo is a good deal and quality is good. Find what your rifle likes and buy a case or two, if you can afford it.

The days of quality surplus .308 are pretty much gone. If you can find some of the German stuff it's good. Plan on about .50 cents a round for surplus and a buck a round for current production ball ammo.

Wes

·
Regulator,
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cascadian,

I've fired enough ammo to know the rifle is capable of sub-moa accuracy with match ammunition. It shoots about 1.5-2.0 moa with factory ball ammo.

My results mirror the results of other 716 owners on the Sig Forum.

Wes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wes
I am new to reloading and my first batch of .308 was a flop. I used 168 gr sierra match king bthp and used brass previously fired through the 716. When I chambered the rounds the bolt would not close all the way and when I went to eject the round the charging handle would not come back. I had to hit it with a padded hammer to eject the round. My coal was 2.800 as called for by the hornady reloading book. I'm not sure what I did wrong but I really don't want to do it again. Thanks

Bryce

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.