Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there all,

This morning I finally got a chance to head to the range and try out my newly acquired SIG P-226 in .357 SIG. Before I left, I cleaned the bore and lubed the slide rails.

Heading to the Range with a box each of Speer CCI Lawman and Winchester White Box, I pulled the SIG from the box and examined the controls. This particular model was built with the traditional DA/SA trigger system.

Putting several magazines of each of the above type ammunition down range, there were no failures to feed or eject. I estimate the double action trigger pull to be between 6-7 pounds and the single action trigger pull about 4 pounds.

This was one of several targets shot rapid fire at about 10 yards using the Speer CCI Lawman Ammunition.

Firing for function testing only, the pistol shot to point of aim. For me, the higher hand to bore axis of the SIG is a benefit for accurate shooting and the SIGlite sights picked up the targets in the dimly lit shooting range.

The controls were easy to reach and manipulate on this full-size combat handgun. The ejection of the magazine was very positive and the magazines were very easy to load with the bottle neck .357 SIG cartridge.

While I didn't take the time to do any accuracy testing on this particular handgun this morning the recoil was very managable and straight back with very little muzzle flip compared to other steel frame handguns I have shot. This translates into more controllable shooting and accurate follow-up shots.

I really enjoyed shooting this new to me handgun and will follow up with more reports later as I aquire different loads and ammunition.

Chris

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Chris,

THANKS, BUDDY!!! You and twoguns are determined to get me into a SIG sooner or later...dammit. Don't worry, I'm looking at what I can off load now.

Wes

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr. Chris,

What can I say sir, but NICE
. I really am glad to see that you are happy with your newest lady right now. I really expect your appreciation will simply increase over time. I know it is a bit hard for some folks to use for concealed carry, but it can be done. Just not as easily as many others can be ;) .

Besides you already have your 239 in 357 Sig, which I think given your environment, would make an excellent concealed carry pistol for you. So a nice combo in my mind, sort of the best of both worlds. The 239 for concealed carry, and the 226R for home and range use. Either would make you smile when shooting them I think.

I do like the fact that Sig offers 3 different sizes with the same controls, so that everyone can find something that suits them, without having to give up common controls, etc. So all 3 caliber options in 3 different size platforms, all with the same controls. A lot to be said for that to me.

But you target fired rapid fire, does make me think your 226 is "user friendly" for you too. I am glad my suggestions have been helpful to you if they have sir. Please keep giving us range reports as time allows.

Note to Mr. Wes:

GUILTY sir
. But I have the best of intentions too ;) .

Shoot well and often,

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

Thank you for your comments.

twoguns. I do indeed see the role of the P-239 and the P-226 set-up as you have described above. With warm weather approaching, it'll be time for shirt sleeves and that will make the P-226 a bit harder for me to conceal, but the single column P-239 much easier in a CWP application.

The .357 SIG round flat out invokes confidence in the user for accurate shooting and I am finding out that it is the most "consistant" round I have ever shot with the most consistant accuracy in most commercial, i.e. non handloads. I can't even imagine what it will do when I start reloading the round. We are just going to have to "solve" that problem....

Wes, as Mr. Camp has stated, "we have to all find our own salvation". I certainly believe that I have found my "shooting salvation" in the SIG platform and .357 SIG round. Carrying 12+1 rounds of a cartridge that mimics the .357 Magnum in performance just generates confidence in the shooter with the lower recoil and increased accuracy.

Chris

·
Registered
257 Posts
My P229 in .357 Sig and the 40 S&W barrel surprised me when I had the same point of impact on the target using either barrel. I was totally expecting to have to apply some "Kentucky windage " to one of the barrels.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. Though I like it, I believe that Mr. Higginbotham came up with the "working through our own salvation" line.

Just as a matter of coincidence, a good friend of mine bought a P226 in .357 SIG. I fired it on sunday, but only one magazine's worth. It shot and functioned fine. Recoil was snappier than when firing a 9mm P226, but not "bad" a tall. Accuracy was fine. This one was a DAK version and I think would be a lot of fun and capable of smiting a blow containing "serious hootus" if called upon.

I suspect strongly that your P226 will prove itself capable of very fine mechanical accuracy and reliability. This has normally be what I've found from nearly every SIG-Sauer I've shot or seen shot in a couple of decades.

Best.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Mr. Camp,

So far, I have very positive results with the .357 SIG cartridge in the SIG platform. From what I can ascertain with the reloads I have created, there is very little downside to both the cartridge and the platform.

On a comparative basis, I actually have found that I shoot my SIG P239 much better than the full size P226, but the "Jury is still out" and would like to install SIG's short trigger in the larger frame P226 to see how that effects its shooting performance for "this" shooter.

Based on the information from SIG's website, I see a number of State LE Agencies "quietly" adopting the .357 SIG P-226 as their uniform division sidearm. I would suspect that the reason for that is the powerful terminal penetration capabilities of the .357 SIG round.

The next handgun on my list is the P229 DAK in .357 SIG. I do plan on "accessorizing" the P226 with the .40 S&W barrel and short trigger to do some comparative future testing of the round/platform.

So far, in the Glock platform, I have found the .357 SIG much easy to control and shoot than the .40 S&W in the same firearm.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts