Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

Sig 229 or Colt Commander

7K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  BarryinIN 
G
#1 ·
would you buy a Colt Combat Commander or a Sig Sauer 229 ?

I want a Colt Combat Commander but my friends say I should know better and buy a Sig Sauer

#6 ·
Apples and oranges.
What I meant was they have different manual-of-arms and proceedurees. Not to mention different calibers.

Which operating system do you like better?
Tell us more about yourself and your experience with autopistols. If we're starting from square one, or transitioning from a revolver, I'd say a SIG. Simpler manual-of-arms. Easier access to factory service.

Price is about the worst qualifier for pistols; get what fits _you_.

Borrow or rent examples of the pieces under consideration and see how they feel in _your_ hands under firing conditions.

Regards,

Pat

#7 ·
Hi there shaman,

I have extensive experience with the 1911 pattern pistol and Pat is quite correct, they are two entirely different animals.

I would find a range that rents both and give each a try. Your hand and eyes will tell you which to buy!

I understand how you feel when you say that both are in the same price range, but I would give both a try and see which one you like the best.

Chris

G
#8 ·
I have shot both and if I buy a Colt and it turns out to be an expensive lesson in why I should have bought the Sig then I'm stuck with it..and I should have known better but then again I may get lucky

I have friends who are cops who have had good luck with their Sigs..I have other friends who have had nothing but lousy luck with Colts..I've never seen a 1911A1 at the range that didn't jam at least once..my dad thinks I'm crazy to even consider buying a gun he insists (swears up and down) isn't reliable (he carried a few in Viet Nam)..but I like the fact that if someone hears Colt .45 the thoughts that come to mind are the guns that were carried by Sergeant York, Eisenhower and Audy Murphy..I know they didn't carry Commanders but they didn't make Commanders back then and I like the Commander

#9 ·
I own a 25 year old Colt Combat Commander and an eleven year old P229. If I were forced to choose between the two, I'd keep the 229. It is in every way a superior service/self defense handgun IMHO. I've got the .357 and .40 factory barrels and both give three inch groups at 25 yards with decent ammo.

The Colt when new gave groups from a Ransom Rest that measured 12 inches on average at 25 yards. It was the most inaccurate commerical Colt I have ever owned. A new Barsto barrel/bushing unit solved the accuracy problem as did a superb trigger job. Replacement sights (MMC), a Pachmayr MSH and grips completed the job. Now the Commander is a tack driver. But it cost me the same amount of money as the pistol NIB.

All I've done to the Sig P229 is buy standard cap mags for it. It is a more reliable and refined pistol, one of the best available.

Roadster

#10 ·
Hiya Shaman,

Sounds like you have answered your own question. :) :)

Sorry if I sounded preachy, but I didn't know what your experience level is with the two pieces under consideration.

Roadster is quite correct; the SIG will work out-of-the-box. The Colt _might_. The SIG will never be more than what it is. The Colt can be made to run reliably and has the potential to be far more once you spend the extra money.

My experience with commercial Colts hasn't been that great; others have great luck with them.

Regards,

Pat

#11 ·
Shuman,

Both the Commander and 229 are good weapons. My personal choice is the Commander. But the I've carried one for a quarter of a century+...
While I am a big fan of the SIG pistols the 229 is not amongst them. The only failures to feed or extract I've ever seen in training was with the 229 series. Personally, I consider the 226 and 220 series far superior. The smaller 228 and 245 get the nod, as well.
Just my .02 worth.

Wes

G
#13 ·
would you buy a Colt Combat Commander or a Sig Sauer 229 ?

I want a Colt Combat Commander but my friends say I should know better and buy a Sig Sauer
SHEESH, how could you possibly consider another gun when a Colt Commander is one of the choices??????
:-*

Never a contest in my mind, besides, if it has the pony on the side it will never lose value unless you trash it.

G
#14 ·
Sig Sauer is hard to beat, but I guess I just had to follow the beat of a different drum..my dad won't ever let me live it down if it ever jams

Sigs are pretty popular where I live..seems like everybody's got one..my Colt will be unusual around here..people have .45 pistols around here but they are usually Springfield Armorys or Rock Island Armorys

#18 ·
I think you did well.

I like the balance and feel of the steel Commander over most guns.

The only Colts I've had trouble with were bought used. Usually it was a case of a prior owner being one who can't leave things alone, and had to "fix" them. One was unfired, but the prior owner said that he "adjusted" the extractor.
Why he started bending on the extractor before firing a shot is beyond me. Needless to say, it needed adjusting then.

When I see or hear of people who always have trouble with 1911s, I ask what magazines they are using. Almost always they either don't know (alarm bell!) or claim it's a "Colt" because it says so on the bottom of the $7 gunshow magazine they show me.

Use good magazines, loaded with decent ammo, and it will serve you well.

Sigs are fine, and if I had to carry a DA auto, it would be a Sig.
But I like SA autos.
I like their simplicity. In addition to the oft-cited "consistent trigger pull", there are other things that make it simple to use. The safety is under my thumb so I know what position it is in. That also tells me if the hammer is cocked, because if it isn't, the safety won't go on.

I haven't been to a whole lot of training, but I've seen enough people in classes get confused on whether their DA auto is cocked, uncocked, safety on or off, besides seeing them start to holster before decocking to convince me that simple is good for this use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.