Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Erich,

Looks like you have another keeper there for sure sir. Although I do have to question your definition of warm (35F ???? is warm - sir we need to talk), lol.

I had owned a couple of Ruger new model super blackhawks when I moved to Arizona. A buddy at work told me about this new gun store that had recently opened in the area (meaning about 40 miles away), that carried mostly western weapons for CAS folks. That was how I met a truly good friend and my gun dealer now. He has changed locations and is a full service store now, but still has a corner set aside for the CAS type weapons.

The first time I put a Colt SAA in my hand, I knew I had made a serious mistake, hehehe. The bug hit me full force. One 2nd gen collectible Colt SAA and about 8 nice clones later, I still love them. I realize the 45Colt is not what you are shooting, but it is basically the same concept. A nice huge chunk of lead heading downrange. Plus I enjoy the history behind my revolver and its bullet as well. I have turned into something of a western history buff living here now too. That just adds to my pleasure of shooting em.

Nice looking weapon, sigh, I am missing my Smith revolvers now Mr. Erich, and some fine targets from that sweet lady too. I still think there is a serviceable place in modern armaments for "big and slow" compared to a lot of the more modern ammo/caliber trends. (But I did have to winch when I read that "G" word on a target you used with such a great lady. Hope she was not too offended by it, lol.)

Call it my "nostalgic nights" if you want too, not sure of the why. But some nights one of my SAA clones is sitting nearby as I doze off. There is a back-up auto near it, but only if more rounds were needed. I would not feel ill-armed if I needed it for self defense. While it would not be my first choice for a high bullet gunfight, I think it would still do its part as long as I did mine.

Obviously your reloads are not broken and do not need to be "fixed". I notice you use Unique and Bullseye powders. I have loaded a ton of them over the years and loved the performance they always gave me. When I switched over to my first progressive, I was not crazy about the way either powder metered from the progressive powder measure that came with my Dillon. Their customer service folks suggested I give ball powders a try, as they would meter much more consistently in a progressive press.

After a bit of experimenting with ball powders, I came across Accurate Arms powders (now renamed to Western Powder I think). Accurate's president was a huge 10mm fan, and had his ballistic folks work up loads using his powders. In a magazine article it gave his name and number and said "call me if you want loading data". I was carrying a Smith 1006 at the time, and had a Delta Elite, and wanted non-existent loading data for them.

I am a bit of a skeptic, but I made the call. I was shocked when I was shortly speaking with the president, who gave me some great loads for the components I wanted to use. That was when Accurate Arms powders and I first shook hands.

I use their AA#2 in my 45Colt and 45Schofield loads now. It has also become my primary brand of powder in all handgun loads, and in several rifle calibers. Just thought I would mention it if the urge to try a ball powder ever hits you, or if you use a progressive and begin to have problems with the way Unique or Bulleyes meters.

Another sweet lady you have there too (tips my hat).

twoguns

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Erich, I had a couple of thousand bullets and a whole bunch of empty cases recently, so I decided to put all the stuff together. Unfortunately I'd managed to dump about a hundred AR cases in with my bulk brass, which shut down the case feeder on my Dillon 650 as if someone had started feeding it old bits of scrap metal. I solved the problem by hand sorting all the cases.

Good looking groups, though. I need to go out and shoot my 625 more often.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Not sure why, but I've been avoiding using lead bullets in my S&W 1917. I think I read a warning at some time. Erich, your post is making me want to try a few of my Buddy's target loads.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Twoguns, funny that you should mention it. Metering hassles have started to annoy me with Unique and Bullseye, and I've been thinking that a ball powder might be the way to go. I like the Accurate powders for my 10mm loads, so I very much appreciate your referral of #2. If Unique could be made spherical (and cleaner), I believe it would be near-perfect for these .45 AR rounds.

Leland, if I had the brass, I think I'd just load the AR and let the acp rounds fall by the wayside. :) Alas, I'm not that rich (and I just picked up another hundred once-fired .45 acp cases on Saturday and cleaned them in the tumbler).

Jonny, I used to avoid lead bullets myself. I've gotten to the point where I believe I'd be okay if I never loaded another jackete revolver bullet again. Part of it is learning how to clean the lead up pretty easily (Kroil and Chore Boy strands), and part of it is just taking the plunge. Do avoid the softer swaged bullets, but the hardcast lead bullets are a real treat. I have to plug Bob Palermo at Penn Bullets, too, since he'll load 40 lbs of bullets into a USPS $8.10 flat-rate box and keep your shipping costs way down.

Gents, thanks for being so nice as to reply yesterday.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Erich, I just loaded up a whole bunch of 200 grain SWC hardcast over 4.8 grains of Titegroup, and they work pretty darned well in a couple of my 1911s. I might dig out a few dozen full moon clips to see what happens when I shoot the same load in the 625.

Did I mention that I have ONE .45 ACP revolver (not counting my uncle's old 1942 service 1917) and a whole pot load of 1911s? Gotta keep stocked up in brass for the majority, so the AR cases are a bit of a pain in the butt. It sure was fun cooking up a 250-grain cast bullet load for the 625, though did I mention that a single stage press and 100 rounds of brass is a lot less fun than a big progressive and 3,000 rounds of brass?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Erich;

You should have used that .45 revolver in the .38 Special match and just reduced a photo copy. That's some good shooting.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Erich,

Glad my comment might help you. I think it is a shame really. I have used both Bullseye and Unique in a ton of rounds, and always loved their performance. But they just don't play well with some progressives.

I just grabbed my AA manual and checked load data for the 45AR using the 255 bullet. They list loads for 2, 5, 7 and 9. So if you don't have some 2 on hand, try the AA powder you have on hand before you buy some. You might well be very happy with how the powder you have works for you too.

I remember some test loads I had worked up with 5, 7 and 9 in 357Sig. The manual listed data for all 3 of them, which I had plenty of, but did suggest 9 as probably being the best suited choice for the round. If I had a ton of either 5 or 7 and none of the 9, it would not have bothered me at all to use what I had. All my groups were tight, but the 9 was a bit tighter and a bit faster mv than the others. Since I had plenty of it already, that is my 357 Sig powder now.

Good luck, and if you try some Accurate, let us know what you think. Since you use it for your 10mm, I don't really have to sing it's praises to you anyway, lol.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
True enough, I just don't want my .45 AR pressures to go that high! I'll check out the load manual . . . :)

G

·
Erich, I am glad you are enjoying your M625. Try 5.5-6.1(max) of Win 231 with a 200gr LSWC and CCI primer. This is a great powder and it makes very accurate loads in my M625 Springfield Commemorative and M325. Regards, Richard

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everyone keeps bringing up 231 . . . I have to buy a can to see what all the fuss is about! :)

G

·
HEY ERICH,
I AM NEW TO THE FORUM. BUT I WAS WOUNDERING IF YOU EVER THINK OF SELLING THAT 625 LET ME KNOW. I AM TRYING TO FIND ONE WITH A 3 INCH BARREL. I LOVE THESE GUNS AND THEY ARE VERY ACCURATE.
THANKS,
MARK

1 - 13 of 13 Posts