Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...but only a few shots.

I was surprised at how light the trigger pull on that pistol is.

Anyway, in a nutshell,

No darned key lock on this one

Quite comfortable; the rear grip straps can be changed. One comes in the gun and there are two others included along with a spare magazine.

Reliable, but again I only fired a few rounds of ball ammunition.

The sights were well-regulated and the gun was "on" at least out to 15 yards.

It is possible that with enough guns and enough shots some unforseen problems could crop up and I've not followed discussions on this pistol, but with this first brief introduction I was very favorably impressed.

Subjective to be sure, but I liked the grip angle much better than that of my Glock 17.

Best.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Steve,

I've been itching to shoot one myself and imagine one will wind up in the rental case at the indoor shooting range here pretty soon.

The only ones that I have been able to handle are at the local Bass Pro Shop here in Myrtle Beach and I have liked the way they feel in my hand. I just recieved my Labor Day sales flyer for Bass Pro Shop and they have the M&P on sale this weekend for $449.00. (They also have the Springfield XD on sale for $469.00).

If I had the money right now, I'd have to try one....but I'd like to hear from some M&P owners before I put my money down.

Chris

G

·
I tried the trigger action of one of these when they first appeared in gun shops in my area a few months ago. I was amazed at the quality of the trigger pull, for one of the new-generation "plastic fantastics" and made a mental note that I should probably get one eventually. However, the gun magazine tests are showing that accuracy is not one of the this handgun's "long suits," with grouping at 25 yards running 2-1/2 to 4". In one of the current gun mags there's a photo of the top of the frame with the slide removed. The auto's design, especially in the way the slide bears on the frame certainly, to me, illuminates why accuracy isn't very stellar. But the National Matches at Camp Perry isn't what it's for, and $450 for a new Smith auto probably isn't a rip-off.

Let us know how it shoots if you get one.

G

·
Stephen, I've been curious as to how good/bad the S&W M&P auto would be considering their poor track record in producing decent autos with a good trigger pull. I have yet to see one appear locally, but will keep my eyes pealed for one. Thanks for the quick review.
Steve

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello. That's a good question, but one that I flat do not know the answer to. Everything seems to be pretty good from what I've read, but I've personally not shot one enough to know.

Best.

G

·
Although I haven't had the opportunity to fondle one yet, I am intrigued by all of the favorable things I've read about this pistol.

It's my understanding (internet rumor) that a version chambered in .45 ACP will be forthcoming - maybe in 2007 - that's the one that interests me the most.

G

·
I have a very early (one of the first 300 made) M&P .40. At this point I have about 3000 rounds through it. All I can say is that it is a very nice weapon. It has a nice trigger, good ergonomics, a good triiger and has malfultioned exactly 2 times (both 6 oclock misfeeds at rounds 0003 and 0006). After I put the first magazine of ammo through it, it has had zero malfunctions.

I like it alot. I have not seen a reason to shoot a Glock since I bought it.

G

·
Slow in responding to this, but I'm not real quick.

Our range instructor received a sample M&P in .40 to see if two of our officers preferred something with a different feel/ grip. We carry Glocks which are mandatory, however the Chief has recently taken a liking to new equipment.

We ran about 900 rnds through it before I left the range. I really enjoyed it and liked it better than my issued G22. The only complaint was that the sights were off, easily fixed. There were only two die-hard Glock fans that didn't think much of it, but they didn't complain about it either.

All in all it shot great and did not have to be cleaned during the entire shoot. No malfunctions. I did notice that the mags rattled when fully loaded, however once in the mag well and round chambered, it stopped. I hate rattly mags.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry for the really late reply. Guess I haven't checked in here much lately.

I bought one of the first few M&P 40s that showed up at my local shop as a "nightstand gun" replacement for a Beretta 96, which I sold. In addition to the light, consistent trigger pull, I really liked the gun's ergonomics.

I found the grip angle to be very comfortable after years of shooting 1911s and BHPs. The backstrap options allow you to vary not only the length of pull (distance from the front of the trigger to the rear of the grip frame), but also the width of the grip. My wife has small hands and short fingers, and found the size Small backstrap allowed her to comfortably hold the gun and reach the trigger without straining. My hands are considerably larger, and my fingers are longer, and the size Large backstrap felt like it was made to fit me.

I brought the M&P to my club and gave it a thorough wringing out: about 200 rounds fired standing at IPSC targets from 7 to 20 yards away. Accuracy was more than adequate for the type of shooting I was doing (rapid fire IDPA and IPSC practice), and the gun is most likely more accurate than I'll ever be. The magazines drop free and the sights seemed well regulated for my eyes. Since I experienced no malfunctions of any kind, I began using it in local IDPA matches (SSP - Marksman), and placed surprisingly well for me, taking a third, a first and a second in June, July and August, respectively.

The one thing that bothered me was the presence of a magazine disconnect. Unlike the device on the BHP, the M&P's magazine disconnect does not affect the trigger pull. It only manifested itself as a PITA during the "Unload and Show Clear; Slide Down, Hammer Down" portion of the competition. I made it a point to hand the Safety Officer an unloaded magazine at the beginning of each stage, and retrieved it at the end, inserting it after the "Slide Down" command so I could accomplish the "Hammer Down" part.

I liked the .40 version of the M&P so much that I ordered a 9 mm to use a competition gun. When I found that it could be ordered without the magazine disconnect and without the internal lock (my .40 came without the lock), I was really pleased. I've only had the M&P 9 a couple months, but took a second place ribbon with it at last weekend's IDPA match. They're both keepers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts