Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Though I've pretty well cast my lot with the traditional single-action automatics, I decided to shoot this P-220 that I bought in '92 after seeing some surprisingly accurate shooting being done with one. I also wanted to compare how well it "worked" in more "practical" type shooting for me.

I already knew that this particular pistol would group better than I'm capable of holding and it's been tried with most factory JHP's as well as a number of handloads. The only thing I've found that this particular pistol will not reliably feed with over 5 in the magazine are 200-gr. CSWC's, a rather staple diet for my 1911's. With everything else that I've tried, feeding/extraction/ejection have been flawless.

Speaking only for myself, I still do favor the single-action autos, specifically the Hi Power in 9mm and the 1911-type in .45 ACP, but were I unable to tote a single-action by rule or departmental policy, I believe that in .45 ACP, the P-220 would be my choice.

I didn't have much time to do a lot of shooting with it today, but managed a few slow-fire groups using a rest @ 15 yards and some Failure to Stop drills were repeated on my hand-drawn "Gort" targets that I use for such. These were done from a low-ready, with the first shot being fired double-action. (In the 15 yard slow-fire, all shooting was single-action.)

My particular P-220 groups a bit better with Remington 230-gr. Golden Saber ammunition, but the Winchester RA45T feeds slickly and averages roughly 857 ft/sec from this gun and groups plenty good in my opinion for its intended purpose.

For me, the P-220 was easy to handle starting each drill in double-action. A fellow had a PACT timer and the average for these starting from a low-ready was under 2 secs for the three shots in each drill.

Though I still prefer the single-actions, possibly due to 30 years of using them, I greatly respect the SIG-Sauer P-220.

It is my understanding that newer versions of this pistol are now available, but I have no experience with them. I might have to change that, but for now this basic P-220 serves well.

If interested, here are some more observations and personal opinions on the P-220:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Single-Action%20Vs.%20Double-Action%20Automatics.htm

Best.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Stephen,

I make it no secret that I am a big fan of the SIG P-220 and have wanted to own one for a long time. Since about 1993, I've looked at them with considerable interest and wish I had the money to buy one.

The local range has a brand new in the box P-220 with the intregal mounting rail on the dust cover, but it is priced higher than I can afford to pay right now. I would love to find a "gently used" older model and my search will continue.

Thank you for the great report!

Chris

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was looking for a new Colt Commander in the mid-1970's (or 80's/I'm an old fart) and the owner of the Edgewood Gun Shop in Jacksonville, Fl. had just gotten in a few new "European" (mag. heel release) Sig P220's.. He said the Sig's were twice the pistol of the CC and cost less money to boot...

I bought the Sig and it was a fantastic pistol. It was extremely accurate and 100% reliable. I have small hands and it always seemed a bit too large for my taste so in a moment (I've had more than one of those) of stupidity I sold the Sig.

Yes, I wish I had it back.

My all time favorite pistol over the past decade has been a Sig P239 in 9mm, with Crimson Trace lasergrips on it. Always 100% reliable, always very accurate.

Gotta love centerfire Sigs..

Best Wishes,

J. Pomeroy

G

·
Hey, Mr. Camp, have you heard that they plan to release a SA variant of the P220, some time in the future?

I'm rather excited about it, myself.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello. Yes, I have heard of this but have not seen one. More than the single-action-only design, in the P-220 I think I like the longer bbl.

In a single-action design, I really do prefer the 1911, but I would sure like to shoot the single-action P-220.

Best.

G

·
There's an article on just such an item in one of the newstand gun mags, or there was a week or two ago. I believe that it's called the P-220SA. If I remember, I'll check which magazine it's in.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
P-220s make a lot of sense to me if one likes The DA/SA type platform.

My son saved up and purchased one. I found it quite accurate and it worked fine for me. He, OTOH, had a lot of malfunctions (I think he was very light at the time and just did not have enough meat behind the gun, A Glock 17 would misfeed for him also).

I loaned it to a friend who carried a Kimber but the state academy would not let him shoot it in their certification class. It broke the trigger bar during the class and he had to borrow a gun to finish.

My son finally decided to trade it off since it was problematical for him but I was getting sort of attached to it - I should have bought it myself.

Jim

G

·
There's an article on just such an item in one of the newstand gun mags, or there was a week or two ago. I believe that it's called the P-220SA. If I remember, I'll check which magazine it's in.
Combat Handguns, November 2006

1 - 8 of 8 Posts