Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was wondering when we were going to hear about that Model 14! I've never shot one. but it's always been on my list of fine revolvers that I'd like to own. I last saw one in a police holster in 1980 in San Diego. The fairly young officer had it adorned with wood Hogues. I was browsing an old firearms book awhile back and it pointed out that a .38 target revolver was just about everything a shooter would need in a handgun. If you think about it, there's something to that. A six-inch .38 could be loaded down with match ammo or up to judicious use of hot SWC for hunting or other serious purposes. A cop might take the same revolver that he carried on-duty to both bulls-eye and PPC matches. The "old days" may not have been the golden age we sometimes color them as, but some choices were a lot simpler and cheaper! Thanks, as always, for a nice article!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a couple and wouldn't hesitate to use one in a fight. I carried one around in the 70's stuffed full of a reload that was on line with a mid-velocity magnum. That M14 was stolen but the two I have today shoot a little better for me.

The only tactical improvemnet you might do is remove the trigger stop.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Steve,

I agree with everyone else sir. An excellent report as usual, with targets that speak volumes to me. I have never owned a model 14, but I started out with a 4" m 28. I quickly picked up a 6" mod 28, that I fired much like you do your 14. I still regret that I let either of those Smiths get away from me.

When I am out shooting I will often do a few stages like this, taking my time and trying for tight groups. Mine do not look as good as yours, as I am standing using a two hand hold. To me that is more realistic practice for me, but just one of my quirks I reckon too, lol. But I find when I make myself just really concentrate on firing tight groups, when I go back to more tactical type work, those groups tighten up as well.

On the trigger stop issue, I agree with Mr. Andersongw. Back when my department was carrying only Smith revolvers, I got a circular from the Smith factory, since I was an departmental armorer. Their suggestion was that the trigger stop be removed in any police revolvers, simply as a safety issue. I did remove all of ours, and all of them from my own Smiths, as it was simply one less potential issue to have to worry about.

But great pics Mr. Steve, and your 14 definitely looks like a keeper for sure. Enjoy the time you share with her on the range.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Mr. Camp,

Thank you for the excellent report and the wisdom of owning and shooting older S&W revolvers from the "Golden Days" when blued steel and wood ruled the day. I am 100% inclined to believe that they are just as versatile and effective as they were then as they are today.

IMHO, many of today's revolver materials and designs just plain don't give the same "pride of ownership" as the work of craft that has been ongoing for a century or so....

The "man and machine" must enjoy a certain synergy to be truly effective and your fine article bears this out.

Chris

·
Registered
321 Posts
Mr. Camp,

I add my thanks for your post - thoroughly enjoyable as usual. To me, the Model 14 and it's sister, the 4" Model 15 (Combat Masterpiece), represent the very best of DA revolver development. I know others will vote for the Python, but the pinned, blue S&W K frames just do it for me. It is indeed a shame that they are no longer in production - and that they are not more widely appreciated. The K-22/Model 17 is another in the same category.

PGM

·
Registered
146 Posts
As I get older, I find that I am more likely to carry a snubby than a semi-auto. I am also looking more fondly on some of my older wheel guns.
This thread reminded me that I have 3 of the best: S&W M27 3-1/2" ( purchased used 45 years ago !!);S &W M19 4" (purchased used over 30 years ago); S&W M15 4"( purchased by me for my Dad 30 years ago; he never fired it and I've shot it one time since I got it back after he passed).
Looking at those in light of today's ammo makes me wonder why I fool with autos !!
I still have the box and the warranty card for the M15, but the instruction book has taken a hike; any reason not to use +P in a sound K-frame .38?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I still have the box and the warranty card for the M15, but the instruction book has taken a hike; any reason not to use +P in a sound K-frame .38?
I went to the S&W forum and answered my own question. Various posters quoted S&W official literature to the effect that a pistol with a stamped model number (mine is 15-3) is OK for +P.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts