Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a set stance. I do whatever the situation calls for.

It's not that I don't use Isoceles and Weaver, but I just don't rely on them, or even forms of them, exclusively.

Of course, I'm speaking in defensive terms. For target shooting, I use Weaver, mostly.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
I use a variety of martial arts based stances, the primary one, a slight forward stance being very similar to a Weaver. I voted "hybrid."

Josh <><

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The topic has become so muddled (not here, I am talking about the training and publishing industry).

Several years ago a few guys who were advocating a "Modern" isoceles used some pictures and I actually went to the trouble of taking pictures and movies of some competitors who were on record as using isoceles.

Trouble is they bladed their torso slightly, they lead with their non-firing foot by 2 to 6" depending on who it was and, other than their arm postion (meaning high or low non-firing elbow) they all looked exactly like the folks who thought they were shooting Weaver - well as "exactly" as humans get...we are all individuals. Only Jack Weaver shoots a Weaver...the rest of us can only shoot our interpretation of it (or any other stance) ;)

Jack Weaver has made exactly one published statement (I happen to have a copy but it is not before me right now). In it he says that the only thing he was advocating was getting both hands into the grip and getting the weapon up to eye level. He did admit that when he read someone say that there was some isometric tension that he went and checked and sure enough he was doing that, how much he could not guess, but he certainly did not do it on purpose...it just happened.

It was a very humble and entertaining article.

I guess my main heartburn is that folks get focused on stance and don't understant that it is were we have to start when teaching a novice...once you get past the first 4 or 6 hours of instruciton you need to be DYNAMIC not STATIC... standing still in a fight is not the best thing for longivity :)

Onward,
Jim

·
Registered
720 Posts
OK, in a SD situation, dynamic, yes! But I assumed we were kinda talking target shooting at the range. For friendly competition I do better with a static stance than jumping around!
FWIW,
og

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Perfect reply by Jim H.
I guess if I had to say what I used when standing still and shooting for group or something like that, it's an IsoWeaver Frankenstein stance.
It most resembles the description of Weaver, but with a higher support elbow. Like Mr Higginbotham's example, I thought I shot Iso until an instructor pointed out otherwise.

I shoot in our woods, which has very uneven terrain. I didn't like that at first, but soon realized what an asset it was. It got me to where I could shoot OK regardless of where my feet were. I could shoot a lot better while moving than I ever could before. I credit losing dependence upon foot placement.
So, if anyone is having trouble there, try shooting on a hillside with obstacles all over!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts