Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this month I told the story of how a gent had sold me a FEG pistol over the internet as LNIB, but shipped it with a totally butchered trigger. I took the position that the best recourse for me was just to make a super pistol out of it despite the raw deal. Well, I finished it yesterday with help from Bob Reed's instructions and Mr. Camp's Disassembly Guide. I installed a new trigger and trigger lever and stoned the sear to get the pull down from about 20 pounds with the butchered trigger to about 5 pounds with the new one....crisp and clean breaking. I also took the hump out of the feed ramp and added a set of new cocobolo grips to it. Then I installed extra power recoil and firing pin springs to help minimize wear from +P ammo. So here is my newly un-butchered FEG PJK 9HP for your approval.

I sure like the un-butchered variety better. To the range Friday.
JayPee

·
Registered
645 Posts
JayPee,

Congratulations on your now un-butchered Hungarian FEG PJK 9HP, its really a looker, fine job sir. I have been looking for a nice one for a while now, the right one will show up in due time, but I can live vicariously through your example till I find mine, thanks for sharing you photo's with us, much appreciated.

papabear

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello and kudos on a job well done! Great rescue and a nice learning experience in the bargain!

Best and please keep us updated as you shoot your pistol.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Jaypee, PM inbound Almost forgot to add, VERY nice looking HP! Did it have the polished blue finish when you got it? I haven't seen too many FEG's yours is the first that I've seen that looks so good. Anyhow, if it shoots half as good as it looks, it'll surely be a keeper!

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
D-

Yes the PJK 9HP has the high polish blue from the factory, but the thing that really makes it beautiful is that it is a really deep blue black. I think the double action P9R might also have this finish from the photos I've seen, but the other FEG Hi Power models are more subdued. I think this one must have been their flagship. Thank you for your kind comments.

Jer

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JayPee,

Congratulations on your now un-butchered Hungarian FEG PJK 9HP, its really a looker, fine job sir. I have been looking for a nice one for a while now, the right one will show up in due time, but I can live vicariously through your example till I find mine, thanks for sharing you photo's with us, much appreciated.

papabear
Thank you for such kind words, Papabear. In your search, you will find that there are actually two versions of the PJK 9HP. The original is the true HP clone and has the small, narrow sights, small safety lever, and traditional BHP slide stop. The later version has wider three dot sights, extended safety lever, and a new slide stop design with corresponding cuts for it in the frame and slide. i.e. the older one has a replaceable slide stop and poor sights, while the newer one has much better sights and a slide stop you will have trouble replacing. 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. FYI

Jer

·
Registered
502 Posts
Now that's nice work
I suggest that you give this one a special name to further set it apart from the herd
Regards, G>M>F>

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello Jer, I'm glad it all went well and the pistol looks really nice!

·
Registered
645 Posts
JayPee,

Thanks for the FYI on the two versions of the PJK 9HP, I had one zeroed in but it got away from me, it would have been now that I know the difference the earlier version, I think I would prefer the later version, either way though I'm keeping a look out for one. BTW, appreciate your many direct and well-founded reports, much appreciated.

papabear

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're very welcome. It's my pleasure.

I got out to the range to test the gun today in the midst of 25mph gusting winds giving us fits. The traffic signals were dancing around on their cables and every time I stopped I could feel the wind gusts rocking my little Dodge truck around. So with target stands blowing over and targets blowing off their stands, we nailed them down and did enough shooting to tell that the FEG will be a good, accurate gun, and that the ramp job works well. I put 115 rounds of hot +P JHP's of three different brands through it, even staggerloading them and switching magazines around to try and get it to hiccup, but it didn't miss a lick. Here's a photo of the groups I got and a couple of the FEG and CD HP ramps after de-humping them. I should mention that I gave the CD HP the same test with its newly de-humped ramp and it did equally well.

I still need to get the trigger pull down a little more, but didn't want to do it without shooting the gun a little first. That's my next project. Best to all.

JayPee

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Way to go Jerry. That's good shooting and you're killing me! I wanted that FEG we talked about and after reading your post and looking at yours, I still need to get one.

Gib

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Howdy, Gib!

The FEG's are sure a good value for the money. Hopefully you can find one in-state soon. If I hear of any good ones around I'll have to let you and Papabear know about them. What are your FFL's charging for a transfer these days?

Jer

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gib,

FYI shipping to an FFL doesn't have to be next day air. My FEG was shipped from a private party in Indiana to my FFL via ground delivery.

Jer

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Jaypee,

As others have already said sir, a very nice job on your newest lady. I am glad the way this one started off for you, was easily corrected and she is a shooter for sure.

Enjoy shooting her and please keep us posted on your thoughts on this one. As HPs become harder to find, many folks may well look to one like this to feel their needs.

twoguns

·
Regulator,
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you, Twoguns. I sat down this morning and stoned a few more ounces off of the trigger pull and I'll again shoot it some before going any further. I think with some shooting it will be just about where I want it.

I'm going up to the range Monday and should do a bit better as the winds are forecast for 35 mph instead of the measley 25 mph of my last trip. I would ordinarily stay home, but the opportunity to start a big argument over the wind bucking abilities of JHP's at pistol velocities and at altitudes above 2,000 feet msl in 65 degree temps is just too great.....I can hear the shouting already!! Wonder if rate of twist matters.......hmmmmm...Josh are you listening?!!

JayPee

1 - 17 of 17 Posts