Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Selecting leather is not a "no brainer". Many user's are in what I call the "enlightened ignorant" crowd. In that they don't know what they don't know. Educating them can be a real chore.

A holster must be comfortable. If not you'll soon be leaving it at home.
It must fit the belt you are using(some are adjustable) or it will not position the weapon properly. The position can shift in this case, too. Nothing worse that having to go "looking" for your handgun when you need it.
The holster must retain the weapon it is intended for...there are darn few "one size fits all" holsters in this arena.

A choice of safety strap or thumb break is either personal preference or departmental mandate. Remember that factory leather is usually made for stock weapons. Hence the retension system becomes a liability if any mods are made. This should be checked on all holsters to ensure safety.

Factory production leather can be very nice, but some short cuts for production get back to the "one size fits all" category. Case in point is belt loops. Most factory designs are cut to use a 1 3/4" belt. Your stuck if you want to wear that holster with a proper 1 1/4" dress/gun belt. Positioning the holster is important
Cost of factory leather is somtimes almost, or more, expensive than custom leather products.
Where personal choice is acceptable custom leather offers more styles, colors, cants from muzzle forward to muzzle to the rear, high ride to low ride. The designs are endless. Plus, if you need a special feature some of the custom shops can accomodate you.

My personal preference is no straps, buckles, thumbreaks, etc. A proper quality holster will retain the weapon even if doing handstands without excess retention features. Yet will allow a smooth draw.

This all comes down to many things. Personal preference, mandates, body morphology, mode of dress, etc.

My advice is to think of the leather belt, holster, and mag pouch as a system. The belt being like the chassis of a car. It's the foundation you build upon. It should be of good quality and support the weight of your ancilliary equipment.
Select a holster you think may work for you. Custom makers can discuss this with you and aid in your selection.
Make sure your mag pouches, tac light holders and other accessories fit the belt and don't shift when worn. Again, looking for your spare magazine(s) when you should be reloading is bad ju-ju.

Leland, you have a quality factory holster. The safety being swiped off is a concern. I would see what you can do mechanically to solve the issue, but only after I called Ross Leather and explained what the holster was doing. It may be a design flaw they are unaware of and they may offer to trade it out or modify it.

My favorite set, for my BHP, is made by Horseshoe Leather Products. I use Andy Arratoonian's model 28S holster and 83S mag pouch. This on a 1 1/4" contour cut belt. Made as a set.

Hope this short treatise helps those selecting a concealment holster.
It's all about choice, but it's up to you to decide what meets your needs.

Good leather is expensive, but I still come back to what I tell my students...."How much is your life worth"?

All the best,

Wes

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
"Leland, you have a quality factory holster. The safety being swiped off is a concern. I would see what you can do mechanically to solve the issue, but only after I called Ross Leather and explained what the holster was doing. It may be a design flaw they are unaware of and they may offer to trade it out or modify it."

Hey Wes. I was reading this post and found my name, so I'll expand a bit on my previous statement.

Basically I haven't come across any surprises.

The Mark III has what I call a "soft" safety. To be quite frank, just about anything can swipe off the safety, and the fact that it's ambidextrous just compounds the problem. I've been concerned about this for some time and expected the problem with the Ross holster, so I'm not concerned. I have two Mark III guns, and both have this problem; after I save up a few more nickels and dimes, I'll replace the safety on the other one as well.

I also know that the new C&S safety will be very, very positive and that the problem will be solved. Changing out the safety has been planned since the first day I decided to embark on this venture.

That having been said, there is a possibility that I won't even carry the Ross rig. Currently I'm using a Dillon "Master" which has served very well for quite some time with no problems. It's somewhat better for concealment than the Ross, but it's also getting a little bit ratty. (Strictly cosmetic problems--the holster's safety and utility have not been compromised.)

Chances are, though, that once it's broken in, the Ross will take over primary carry duties for the BHP.

This would be a totally moot point if it were any other gun, because I have good carrying gear for just about everything I own. The problem here is that it's only been in the last year or so that I've started using and carrying a Hi Power.

It works so good...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leland,

Guess I read something into your post and didn't see that it was the safety that was the problem. Not the holster.
Haven't experienced this with my MKIII in .40 S&W. Seem to be more firm in this reguard.
On the C & S safety you'll like it. Had one put on my BHP 9mm when it was customized. Very positive. You will like it.
I've not disassembled the new style ambidextrious safety, so I don't know if anything can be done to firm them up.
There's a thread for the gunsmithing section.

Wes

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
What seems to be the problem with the newer safeties is a very weak / poorly shaped ball detent, along with just a poor design of the thumbpiece. The older style safety was much more positive, but then you couldn't get it into the off position very easily, either.

I've already installed one C&S safety, so the installation shouldn't be a problem. What might be an issue, however, is removing the MKIII safety, though to be honest, I won't cry much if I have to destroy it completely to get it off. It looks as if all that's going to be necessary will be a small punch, but if that fails, I have a Dremel and a carbide cutting wheel. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an '84 HP and it's got what you guys are calling a "soft" safety as well. I've never been completely comfortable with it. It's slightly extended (it's a Wilson), which makes it even a bit easier to move. As it happens, if I carry a full sized semi-auto, I generally carry my 1911 and not the HP, so it hasn't been a factor for me. If I were carrying the HP though, I sure as heck would do something about the detent I think. It needs to be more positive. I also don't use thumbreak holsters for my semi-autos, so I'd really, really want to be comfortable with my safety.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got a little added information if anyone's interested. I have an old friend who was a Master Gunsmith at the Browning facility in St. Louis. He's retired now, after 35 years there. I asked him about the "mushy" safety and whether there's anything that can be done, here's what he said:

"The 9mm has always had a crappy feeling safety . It's hard to put on and take off. Is there an answer---you bet and the answer is yes. The newer 9's have an ambidexterous safety which has a longer safety and will work from both sides. So what do you give up (something always) ? After you put in the new safety the lever is long enough to hit the top of the grip so a little of the grip has to be filed off to clear the safety. They aren't real cheap but can be obtained from Browning. The safety has a long shaft that goes all the way through the frame. Another version is to cut the shaft off to proper length and just use the lever that sticks out on the left side. The problem here is that the end of the shaft is now in the white and should be blued. Also this safety works real well and is pretty much of a drop in part. I've never had to "fit" one. "

Fwiw,

Roger

1 - 6 of 6 Posts