Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here carry while riding a motorcycle? If so, how do you carry... I have a IWB holster but I don't feel it is very secure while riding my bike... any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I once knew a motorcyclist that somehow had a custom leather jacket with a gun pocket inside sort of like a shoulder holster?

I guess I'd piggy-back on your question about carry on two wheels and ask about a secure carry method while riding a bicycle? Something that protects the firearm from sweat would be good. I guess some sort of fanny pack might be the only readily available option in both cases...?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have used my Sparks #200 AW with a wheelgun on bike, ATV, and horseback since 1981. That includes a couple of spills with the ATV. Never had a problem. The only time I have had a retention problem with that setup is in firing a rifle in prone--the holster angles forward and after a certain amount of flopping around and recoil the gun wants to obey gravity. For anything else I have complete confidence in it.

Next level up is a GI flap holster, and a Blackhawk "telephone cord" lanyard for guns with a lanyard loop (mostly 1911s, BHP, and a couple of modified revolvers).

·
Registered
169 Posts
I got a couple of fanny pack holsters for my wife and I. They look sort of "dorky" but they do a good job of keeping the gun concealed, and readly avaliable. They also have room for an extra magazine, or speed loader, as well as other stuff. (folding knife, multitool, etc.) They can be worn left or right handed too. You're not going to quick draw from one, but I don't think that's really a problem for most people. Unless you have to go through a X-ray or a metal detector, no one will know you're "packin'". I got it originally thinking it would be great for those cool days when I was wearing sweat pants (no belt) but I can see it being really handy in hot weather too, when you don't have jackets, sweaters, and such to cover the gun. They are awkward in an automobile but once you get your seat belt on and get it adjusted it's workable. I just swing it over to the weak side. If you're a southpaw, you wouldn't have to do that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I take a Glock 26 with me every time I ride. However, I always ride with a leather jacket for protection. That being said, I wear my pistol in the same location that I do when walking around: In an open top concealment holster along the beltline of my right side. The jacket holds the pistol perfectly in place as it fits very well. Drawing the pistol while riding would be a heck of trick as I would have to bring my hand off of the accelerator and lift up the jacket. I would then have to grab the pistol with a gloved hand. One day, I'd like to have something under my ride side arm-pit so that I could reach into the jacket and draw with my left hand. Just in case I'm traveling down the road and need to draw while in motion. You never know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I carry every time I ride. I carry strong side IWB.

When I carry the Glock 22 I use a Alessi Talon Plus holster. When I carry the Glock 27 I use a Sparks Versa Max II. Both are perfectly secure. That said, I always use a belt made specifically for carry as that aids greatly in comfort and concealability. Also, when riding I always wear protective clothing. That makes concealment easy.

That said, I have had some concerns about taking a slide on the strong side, but don't know how that will factor in.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got a couple of fanny pack holsters for my wife and I. They look sort of "dorky" but they do a good job of keeping the gun concealed, and readly avaliable...
I also use a fanny pack while riding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts