Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was just curious as to what "secondary" non-firearm CWP weapons that some folks might opt to carry.

Does anyone carry a knife or "less than lethal" CWP weapon in addition to their primary weapon?

Chris

·
Registered
898 Posts
For me it's the Ka Bar TDI knife, original (smallest) version. Can't say I was happy with its issued sheath though. Had a local kydex bender make me one that was easier to on and off the belt, plus get the knife back into without putting any holes into my "spare tire". I carry it on the non-dominant side, at about 10 o'clock.

Sometimes I'll also carry along a canister of Fox labs pepper spray, or Kimber's new Life Act 'Guardian Angel' two shot OC device. But all that plus the pistiol and spare ammo have the ol' Batbelt pretty full; flashlight gets relegated to a pocket!

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Chris,

These days an Emerson Commander Folder rides clipped to my right front pocket. Before that a Spyderco Endura or Delica.

I have carried sheath knives in the past, but discovered some folks "get goofy" when you pull out a sheath knife to do general non-cwp knife work. Somehow, a "pocket knife" is ok.

Probably this is in the same category as "cocked and locked" single action carry vs DA/SA for the unenlightened.

Wes

·
Registered
525 Posts
Ti-Light (budget model), pepper spray. Usually a smaller pocket knife too -- Ti-Lite gets similar reaction as weshowe's sheath knife when used for utilitarian purposes.

elb

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy folks,

In addition to whatever weapons I have on me, I keep a Benchmade automatic in my right front pocket, with a Spyderco Endura clipped to that pocket. A smaller Gerber rides in my left pocket, in case my right hand/arm is injured and I still need a knife. On my duty belt is a pouch with a larger Benchmade automatic, positioned near my mid back so it can be obtained with either hand.

With very few exceptions most of the times I have tried to deploy police mace (back in the caveman days when it really was), the wind has usually shifted just as I released a nice spray. I decided I could live without my mace on me when I was promoted to detective. I kept a cannister in my briefcase and one in my glove box.

I just realized I don't own any mace or similar spray product these days. I guess I simply have not missed having it around.

twoguns

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
As Wes notes, pulling a reasonable sized sheath knife gets most folks hinky. I've noticed that IWB carry is less noticed by most folk and bothers the ones who see it less, possibly because they can's see the blade length or shape.

Around weapons-oriented folk announcing the draw is considered polite.

For non-weapon chores in public I carry a small light lockback of some sort. Lockbacks are less 'evil' than linerlocks plus a lot safer.

My _primary_ close-quarters weapon is the knife, and it rides at 4:00. Its also with me when the pistol or revolver has to be left in the car. I expect to spend some $$ on a proper carry system before I carry one.

Regards,

Pat

Regards,

Pat

G

·
I usually carry either a tactical or utility folding knife and a kubotan in addition to my firearms. The kubotan carries best if in a little holster of some type. If you just stick one in your pocket you will eventually get poked by it, or sit on it, or it will go flying when you remove your keys. ~Pistolero

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Benchmade Auto knife clipped in the pocket. I used to carry a left hand version in the left pocket but since I have adopted the Surefire L4 light it goes in that pocket (unless I am carrying a 4th gun which goes in that pocket and the light goes in a vest, coat or leg pocket on utility pants.

Jim

·
Registered
800 Posts
I still carry a Buck 110 either in my pocket or a sheath. I've adjusted the blade so it can be snapped open with one hand. I've owned this since the late 80's.

·
Registered
580 Posts
My "minimum" when carrying, which is 24/7, is the following:

Primary
BUG
Cell Phone
Folding Knife
Flashlight
Primary Reload
BUG Reload
Credentials

I have on very "rare" occaisions pared it down to one gun and reload.

Biker

1 - 10 of 10 Posts