Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up an AR-10 in 7.62 Nato. As it's an AR, I feel this could be both a main battle rifle, or suitable out to 700+ meters. My question is, what's the best scope for it?

Needs to be able to quickly acquire targets at typical AR-15 ranges (0-300 meters) but also stretch and double that range.

I've had a lot of professional training, and I know I can hit with an AR-15 and a 4 power ACOG with BDC out to 600 meters, so I suspect that with a 6 x ACOG designed for the 308 I could make that work. HOWEVER, the higher the (fixed) power, the less useful it is at close ranges. So I'm thinking something variable power, but with quick target acquisition at close ranges. Too bad Trijicon doesn't make a variable power ACOG.

I don't want to spend $2000 on this scope, would like to stay under $1000 if possible.

So, any suggestions? What do you recommend?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Recently picked up an AR-10 in 7.62 Nato. As it's an AR, I feel this could be both a main battle rifle, or suitable out to 700+ meters. My question is, what's the best scope for it?

Needs to be able to quickly acquire targets at typical AR-15 ranges (0-300 meters) but also stretch and double that range.

I've had a lot of professional training, and I know I can hit with an AR-15 and a 4 power ACOG with BDC out to 600 meters, so I suspect that with a 6 x ACOG designed for the 308 I could make that work. HOWEVER, the higher the (fixed) power, the less useful it is at close ranges. So I'm thinking something variable power, but with quick target acquisition at close ranges. Too bad Trijicon doesn't make a variable power ACOG.

I don't want to spend $2000 on this scope, would like to stay under $1000 if possible.

So, any suggestions? What do you recommend?
A low power 1-6 variable sounds like what you are describing. Unfortunately I have no personal experience in them yet. Let us know which one you settle on.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts