Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to go to the South Carolina Arms Collectors show in Greenville, SC today.

The original plan was to head down to the TrackRock hammer-in at Blairsville, GA but I wasn't able to get ready in time. Then Big Bob decided to go down the mountain at the last minute so I went too.

Saw a few old pals there. The ranks are thinning though.

Prices were pretty much insane on most things. Didn't have much cash anyways. The accessories dealer I'd planned to pick up a couple of magazines from didn't attend.

I did manage a couple of trades, even up:

Swapped a Colt SFIV (sort of like a cheap stainless Dick Special) for a S&W 639 auto. Pretty much NIB on both. I despise DA/SA autos, I despise magazine disconnects, and I'm not real fond of stainless, BUT this piece will be perfect for Daughter and Son-In-Law. Smith autos tend to be boringly reliable, reasonably accurate and fairly safe.

Swapped a S&W 3" 64 for a 6" S&W Model 19. Its been a while since I had a magnum. The 64 was an OK piece but the 6" 19 has some class.

Breakfast buffet and steak dinner completed the day.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Pat, sounds like a great day to me. Walking around and looking at guns followed by a good steak dinner is always good. Of course, bringing a new gun home isn't bad either!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Or bringing home two guns.
(Not to be confused with bringing home twoguns)

Good to see you pete! Welcome back. The old Bladeforums chat gang is hanging out on CKG now; PM me if you need instructions on getting there.

I field stripped the Smith 639 last night for a _much_needed_ lube job. I'd forgotten how hatefull Smiths are to take apart in comparison to the HiPower.

Have to go talk to some doctors today but will try for some trigger time ASAP. Its been a while.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Pat,

First good luck on the chat with the docs today sir. Hopefully you will be able to get some trigger time in very soon as well.

I do agree with you on the Smith 3rd generation (or any generation for that matter) pistols - they are boring but dependable. But there is a lot to be said for that combination too really. Like you I am not a major fan of DA/SA pistols, as I simply prefer a SA pistol.

For me personally a Sig in DA/SA is more user friendly, as it only needs to be decocked to reholster, with no safety lever to be manipulated. But I have carried several Smith duty pistols, and they absolutely were dependable to me, as were the agency issues Smith pistols too.

Just a suggestion sir, try to get your relatives to adopt the mindset of decocking and removing the safety all in one basic motion - working the lever down then back up. Unless of course they want to leave the safety engaged due to children or other reasons. But I do agree the 639 will do them well.

As far as the 64 to 19 trade, I think "ya done good sir". I have no problems with a .38spc revolver, but have simply preferred one that allowed me to fire either magnums or specials in it. The added versatility was nice to me. I also tend to feel the 6" barrel on a .357 mag revolver will allow it to achieve the true ballistics the round has to offer too.

When you do get the chance to shoot these, please share your thought with us.

As far as the other is concerned sir, since I was born in your state of residency, at least I would feel right at home too

twoguns (not to be confused with 2 guns) ;)

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Pat,

My friend, you have all of the luck and I really envy you to be able to make some of the shows "upstate" here in SC. We have one coming up in Myrtle Beach, SC at the end of October that I "make" every year, whether I buy anything or not.

Sometimes, its just good to go and support the show!

If I came home with two guns, my lovely bride would simply tell me that I had enough "guns", but if twoguns came for a visit I am sure she would be charmed. ;)

Chris

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hiyas TG!

For no particularly logical reason, I prefer .38 Specials in guns made for them; if I was down to one or two resolvers I'd go for the versatility of the .357 for sure. I already have two 6" 38's; a K38 and a 586. The 6" 19 will fill the niche of a hunting piece here, if I feel the need. The 64 became somewhat redundant when I acquired a 2" nickel M&P 5-screw back in July.

Actually, the 19 is a nice classic piece, in pretty nice condition, AND ITS BLUED! :)

A SIG would have been a better choice I agree, but this is the trade that presented itself. A NIB 639 with maybe $350 invested. There were some police tradin double-stack Smith autos at the show for 299.

Hiya Chris!

Luck at shows is basically being flexible when looking for deals and ALWAYS bringing some trading stock. This show was cash-neutral once I got in the door. It was gun-neutral also as I came and left with the same number of pieces. Just better ones coming home.

I like to support shows, especially club shows like SCAC. Greenville is about 40 miles from here so it's a no-hassle show for me. Asheville is only about 20 miles but parking there is a zoo and I don't go there as often.

Maybe one day you can come up to the show in Columbia and I'll drive down for it.

Regards,

Pat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts