Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Also at the same Fort Walton Beach gun show that I got the Cot Official Police .38, I also picked up another 1942 S&W Victory model and a 1959-1960 era S&W model 36. On the M36 all the SN's matched, even the stocks, and same on the Victory except for the stocks, but they are original WWII stocks. The case color on the trigger and hammer on the M36 are alot better than the pic shows. I got to finally shoot them Thanksgiving day, the M36 supprised the heck out of me, at 50' it kept all the rounds in a 9" paper plate, I am sure it shoots better than I do, and the 4" Victory as I expected was the same. I love these old revolvers and getting to shoot them is pure joy.

Papabear

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello papabear,

A very nice pair of revolvers. I especially like the 1942 S&W Victory Model. I had the opportunity to buy one about 2 months ago and passed on it in pursuit of another handgun.
Sadly enough, it wasn't nearly in nice as shape as the one you have.

The M-36 you bought looks very nice indeed. Your shooting ability with the diminutive revolver is excellent for that barrel length and range!

Thank you very much for sharing them with us.

Chris

G

·
I had a chance at an old Victory Model once, and didn't take it. I kick myself for that, to this day. Nice photo!

G

·
Smith Victory models are pretty common. Hit the largest gun shows you can. You should be able to pick up a pretty nice one for around $400. I saw at lest several at a gun show the weekend before last.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nevadaalan,

I agree about the larger shows and the price range, however, I prefer the smaller shows, I'm just a private accumulator, not a dealer, the table cost for the shows I go to are $35 to $55 each and fairly close by, [I live in W. KY] except for the ones I go to in FL., but of the roughly 8 shows a year I usually go to in FL. are all in the panhandle, Tallahassee over to Pensacola and I have had very good results from these shows and have made several friends plus my brother-in-law lives in Panama City which is smack dab in the middle of all these shows and lodging is free, and being retired I need to watch my funds. I realize every area is different, but this has been what works best for me. I picked up this Victory cheap off a walk-in [young man] for $200, RD version, it was a gift from his granddad, and all he wanted was the cash, was asking $300, I offered $250, he laughed, came back an hour later and wanted to know if the offer was still good and I offered him $200 because IMHO he as a punk, something that meant a lot to his granddad and giving it to his grandson at least for me was something special that I would have kept and given to my children or grandchildren, but he took the $200, end of story. We would like to think that our kids and grandkids wouldn't do something like that, but it happens more than we like to think. I figure he paid for this education in life and I got a VG Victory, that will stay with me till I pass it on to my kids.

Papabear

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yep Papabear that was one dumb kid. I have my fathers shotgun, and my grandfathers .22 rifle. They can't be bought for no amount of money. Value in money maybe $300, to me priceless. I also go to shows here in Florida. I go to Orlando and Melbourne mostly. So far all I have came up with that I can afford was an old LEO gun. A S&W model 19-4. It's tight and a good shooter. It's found a home. Good luck with your new guns and enjoy.

G

·
Yes papabear, I have written much on the subject of heirs selling fine firearms for a song. Most just want money to go surfing and basically be lazy. They see it as easy money and really don't know the sacifice that was made, especially if it was a bringback. My Dad passed and I got his Luger, P-38, 22 IJ revolver, double barrel shotgun and his German 98K mauser hunting gun. The Luger was the first gun I ever held some 40 year ago. I have since collected many guns of all types and even duplicates of his, but those will remain in the "black hole" for a long time. In defense of some sellers, I can only see that as a valid sale if it was for a serious need and not a want. Anyway, on the topic, my 2 latest additions are a minty S&W Victory model 1942 with a 1943 holster and a nice M1917. That complements my minty Colt Commando. And I am really a Luger guy. See above for the reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts