Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a S&W V model v460xxx in 38 special that geco stamp on the left side and on the back strap is mark 235 ib-s-hdbg onthe top strap is mark us property ghd. need help in ID the marks.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hiyas!

What you have is commonly known as a 'Victory Model', made during WWII. The 'US PROPERTY' stamp, along with GHD (the inspectors initials) mean it had been accepted for government service. My .38-200 has the same marks, as early Lend-Lease guns had to be accepted as US Property, then declared surplus and shipped to Britain.

The V serial prefix denotes it to be an earlier one. An SV prefix would have indicated it had the improved hammer-block. Serial numbers were in common with the .38-200 model made for Great Britain.

I assume geco is the importer? The marks on the back strap are most likely organization/department ID and rack number. Since so many of these were issued to police units (here and abroad) after the war a sub-specialty has sprung up in collecting circles of identifying the various places they served and the marks.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Pat

1 - 2 of 2 Posts