Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are S&W 2" Model 60s capable of handling +P ammo in defense situations and minimal practice situations; normal loads being used for regular practice? The guns in question are about 20-30 years old and have not been "over used."

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Pip,

I agree with Mr. Steve sir. For many years my office was issuing an assortment of J frames as back-up handguns. Some were older than I am, which is a statement, lol, well past the time frame you mentioned. We used the issued Federal 129+P HS as both our carry and practice/qual round. I never saw any problems with these weapons, besides one finally wearing out from old age. You are talking about limited usage, and we were using them steadily. So I personally do not see a problem for what you want to do.

Hope this helps a bit.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I shoot my 60 regularly with +P reloads and Winchester 158 SWCHP +P, though mine is newer than the ones you're discussing.

While recent S&W in-box literature does warn against +P ammo in pre model number K frames, virtually all of the J series are safe with the heavier loadings, though I might recommend limited use in the older guns.

I never had a problem with any J and factory +P ammo, but in the end it's a personal decision that's yours to make. I simply don't have a problem with the idea, especially in an all steel gun.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, gentlemen, for the replies. Those old 60s are fine pieces and easy to carry. I've been stoking them with the +P ammo but wasn't sure although I had no reservation about using the +P if the necessity arose. Again, thanks for the input!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I have a Model 60, and I've put a few of the 158gr LSWCHP +P (Fed 38G) loads through it. It's an 80's vintage gun as I recall. Not going to make a habit of it; just wanted to check point of impact.

I'm pretty much of an old maid about hot loads in old guns but a 20 year old stainless gun ought to stand it for a while.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy folks,

Well sir, all I can say Mr. LelandRay is "ouch". Yes sir I do remember that one sir. But hey it does make me grin to realize while I am in a generation ahead of you, there are some other dinosaurs who can understand me at times too, lol.

You and several others folks do have a way of jogging some memories for me, which I do appreciate.

twoguns

1 - 11 of 11 Posts