Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found two S&W Mod. 10's. One in 2-inch one in 3-inch.

I recall Mr. Camp writing that the one-inch difference in barrel length can have an impact on velocity.

I tend to like the 2-inch because it fits in more places.

Now we have short barrel Gold Dot rounds from Speer and Cor Bon DPX seems to do OK from short barrels.

Is the design of these rounds such that they compensate for the one-inch difference in barrel length improving the performance in the snubbie?

I'm sorry I missed the Mod. 65's at CDNN.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
All things considered, I'd probably go for the 3" barrel, especially if it's on a round butt frame. The slightly longer barrel and longer sight radius can make a difference in accuracy. Personally, when I carry the 3" I don't use the 135 Speer, as I am concerened that too much extra velocity might cause the bullets to expand too readily and penetrate too little.

In the 3" gun I carry the 158 LSWCHP +P round, which works just fine.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
+1 with Mr. LelandRay on the suggested barrel length. When I carried revolvers at work, and needed to conceal them as a detective, I really liked the 3" heavy barrel model 65 with the round butt. With a nice set of rubber grips, I felt that was a mighty hard combination to beat.

Since I sold off all of my Smith revolvers, I have never had the chance to test or play with any of the newer loads, like the short barrel Gold Dot load. So I can not speak intelligently on that particular load or others like it.

That being said, I think shot placement is far more important than my specific ammo choice, at least with the many reliable HP loads available these days. I also think the 3" barrel would allow the round to perform a bit better, and allow you to recover more quickly if a follow up shot was needed.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth. Let us know what you end up buying.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello,

I'd personally go for the 3" round butt configuration if you have that option.

I certainly enjoy my 3" M-65 very much.

Best with your decision.

Chris

·
Registered
321 Posts
I've got to go along with the group here so far - I think the short barrel makes sense in the small J frames, but in the larger K-frames you might as well go with a barrell length that gives you some velocity for that size trade-off. You are out of the pocket gun category and into a belt gun in any event, even with the round butt.

PGM

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Not usually a herd animal, but . . . me, too!

The only reason I would go for the 2" is if you have a pocket that I'd be able to carry the gun in. I've found K-frames are too big for pant-pocket carry (unlike Colt D-frames), though, so I'd go for the 3", which carries just as easily in every other carry mode and whose longer barrel will give better velocities, a longer sighting plane, and (to me) better balance in the hand.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I guess I'll have to be different and go for 2-inch Model 10's. I do have some jackets with large pockets which hide them well. They work well for IWB carry underneath a suit coat. Since I've got a couple of 2-inch models I'll hang on to them.

Besides, they look so tough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts