Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my like new 65 with a 3" bbl. I own a 66,2.5"bbl and this is my first 3" revolver. It came with Pachmeyer RB grips and it looks to be new. It has a cylinder drag ring but it is slight. The balance is just wonderful. My M10 marked speed loaders work with it and so do the holsters I have for the M66, 2.5". So at least I don't have to buy more holsters. Believe me that is a plus. My holster box is turning into a holster trunk.

When I was picking it up at the Gun Shop I saw a Old Colt 32cal. and a 25 acp. These are the early 1900 pistols. Both were nickle plated and the finish was worn a little. They might end up in the collection. There was a Colt Diamond Back, blue 4" is great
condition. Very bright blue. Looked new to me. I don't need to get hooked on Colts now. BUT I KEEP SEEING THESE GREAT
GUNS! Sorry, I got off track.

For now I really like they way the M65 feels in my hand. I think the 3" bbl is better than a 2" for concealment and balance. Of course I'll now more after I shoot it but for now I feel comfortable with it. Did I mention it is a Round Butt. It is not P&R'd. I feel it is money well spent, $404.00 OTD.

More thoughts on this later.

It is a Round But!.

G

·
That is a good price for a quality 65. Congrats. I like the 3" k-frame for concealment. Please let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello,

This is the 2nd M-65 3" that I have owned and is on my "do not sell or trade list". I bought it for about $325.00 two years ago and sent it back to the factory to be refurbished.

I consider this to be one of the best and most versatile revolvers ever manufactured by S&W (after the M-10, M-19 and M-66 series), but it is a great utilitarian revolver.

Congradulations on your purchase and I hope that you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I owe this purchase to the people here. I like the fact that this has no adjustable sights to snag on anything. I also like the thick Heavy Barrel. It seems to clear leather faster. Then again I will need to get use to the sights on it. I agree with Chris about this being a great utilitarian revolver. I use to own a M13,4" blue S&W years ago but the 3" bbl just makes this one stand out better and points faster for me. I can't wait to try out some Magnum and P+ rounds in this. As soon as I can I will post my findings on this wonderful revolver. Thanks for the Peer Presure and keep sending me in the right direction.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Erich,

I really enjoy seeing your M-65 with the modified hammer and bead blast finish. I believe you own one of the nicest M-65's I've ever seen around. Where did you get those grips?

Chris

·
Registered
399 Posts
M-65's are real high on my list because I don't care for ajustable sights on a carry gun. I know it's nutty but if you know your gun that's just one less thing to go wrong or get hung up. You fellows have some real nice ones here.

Best,Baldy

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Baldy, Yes I noticed that too. My 66 and 28 have the adjustable sights and before I got this 65 I thought it was slick. Now That I have the 65 I feel the same way about stuff getting caught when drawing the weapon. I now think I need more S&W revolvers w/o adjt. sights. I still haven't had time to shoot lately but I will soon. The 65 does feel just about perfect but I say that with all new to me guns.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Spikey,

Congrats on your new to you m65 sir. If it makes you feel any better, given all the craziness I have been contending with lately, I still have yet to put the first round down range in any of the pre-lock Smiths I have purchased. That is simply unacceptable to me. A situation I need to resolve post haste.

I have a marked preference for adjustable sights on my Smith revolvers, but I do like the set up on my 3" RB 65 too. I just need to dig out my Testors yellow paint and put a few coats on the front sight blade. Then I will be good to go.

Let us know your thoughts when you are able to dance with your lady. Sadly, I suspect you will beat me to that, but shooting all of my newly acquired Smith revolvers in on a very short list of things I need to do.

Enjoy it sir. I carried one for several years, primarily as a backup belt gun to a larger caliber handgun. Of course there was also something in the top of my boot too, lol. But with the heavy barrel, the 3" K frame just balances in my hand automatically. There is a lot to be said for this model Smith.

twoguns

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't had a chance to take her for a walk yet but my stepson "T" will be here next weekend with 2 of his school buddies for spring vacation. He is bringing them to go shooting and this time they are bringing there own money for the range fee and bullets. These teenagers all go through the saftet instructions at the house before with airsoft, BB then real fire arms with snap caps before I take them shooting. So I will post my findings with this revolver and the other guns I've purchased and have not shoot yet. Plus I'll let you folks know how this new crop of teenagers handle and shoot. "T" and his buddy David follow saftey and shooting instructions better than most of the adult males I've taken. Learn it right when you are young and carry it with you the rest of your life. Plus "T"'s Illinois Firearm Owners ID (FOID) card came this year. So he gets to pick out his First 22cal. rifle at the store. I am so proud of him.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Personally, I think the 3" 65 is the idea carrying revolver. I have a 3" RB M10 that I simply love to shoot; it's a better shooter than my 4" HB M10s and carries a bit better as well, using a Bianchi Black Widow leather skeleton rig. I don't know about you folks, but the shorter barrels get on target for me a bit faster than the long ones, making reflexive shooting somewhat better.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have shot the M65 and I love it. I am not use to the fixed sights yet but it will still fill out the 9 & 10 ring. It is one of the most comfortable revolvers I have shot and I for one am very pleased with this purchase. I think I collect BHP's and accumulate S&W's but I think that will change soon to collecting both. I really picked this one up after reading twoguns thread on his M65. Peer presure smeer presure..... It' all good homey.

ADDED: My K frame Bantam grips showed up Saturday. Range report will follow soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts