Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just returned from the gun store with my New To Me M28, 4". Thanks to Mr Leland Ray I have the correct Magna Grips. Man I love the tapered barrles of those N frame oldies. This is the first N frame 357 I've ever owned and I blame it all on you guys! I've been looking at the 45colts and I think I'll be needing one soon for my collection. I'm looking forward to shooting her tommorow.

I'm going to do a big shoot on Saturday with my cousin so I'll be taking a lot of hand guns. He wants to show me his new car, I want to show him my new guns. Works out pretty well don't cha' think?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Spikey614,

Congradulations sir on finding that model 28 4". Man you are really bringing back some memories for me right now. That was the first revolver I ever purchased, and was my first duty weapon, back in the days when we had to purchase our own handgun for work. As odd as it might sound to some folks here, I actually preferred the duller finish on the model 28 over the model 27, as it would not reflect light as easily.

Enjoy your new lady, as I think you have found a real keeper. I was so impressed with mine, that I got a 6" version too that I used for hunting.

Enjoy your big shoot with your cousin, and let us know if you infected him with our "affliction" afterwards too, lol. I sure hope no one ever finds a cure for my condition too.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I knew there was something I liked about you, Mr. Twoguns! I'm not a huge fan of the M27 either, as I'm more of a working gun guy. (I carry a lot and shoot a lot.)

Here's an Indiana Jones minute for you guys before I have to strap on my gunbelt and go to work on my day off.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ahh! Yes Mr.LelandRay that is one good looking revolver you got there. Shoot one for pure enjoyment every chance I get. Good luck with yours.

Best,Baldy.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The M28 shoots great! I took a 12" sheet of paper and sent it all of the way to the end of the indoor range, 25yds. I only hit it 4 times. I couldn't see the sights well. I went out to the truck and found so yellow duct tape and put a small piece on the front sight and filled the next folded target with 3 cylinders. Now I've owed a 686, 4" with a crowned barrle that can do this but it took the crowning for it to happen. I don't think she was shot much.

As for the photo's I will get them up as soon as I get settelled in at my new home. I did purchase a digital camera but it is not compatable with my printer, scaner, copier. I've been wanting to post my guns to here to show them off but I'm not that computer savy, but my wife is. She has a Network set up here and I'm sure she will help with the photo's.

The M28 is a little finished worn but I feel that adds to her charm. I'm thinking hard about not Birdsonging her like some of you guys have done do to the fact of how well she shot. Of course that NP3 finish would look SWEET on her. Let me think about that. Thanks again Mr Leland. Now I'll have to find a 6", stop posting your photos's! LOL!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Okay, no more photos... except maybe this one:

If you really want to get N frame fever, I suggest you go looking for a nice M520. The 520 was designed to replace the vintage Model 20 and pre-20 38-44 Heavy Duties carried by the New York State Police. After the 3,000 contract guns were manufactured, the NYSP decided to go instead with the L frame M681, a stainless, fixed sight version of the M686. So the few 520s ended up being sold to the public. They are hard to find, and they're usually quite expensive, but if you put some Don Collins faux ivory grips and a silver Tyler T grip on one, it makes a heckuva nice BBQ gun. Shoots good, too.

The only fixed sight N frame made in .357 Magnum:

The replacement on those NYSP gunbelts:

Alas, I sold the 681 to finance the 520, but I don't particularly regret doing so. The 681 was marked on the left side of the frame with NYSP, and it had the original holster, but I like the 520 just fine.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Spikey614,

I am really glad to hear you enjoyed shooting your model 28 and did so well with her after the front sight fix. I just used the yellow testor paint on mine. But with the weight of my m28, I found even with the hottest magnum loads around at that point (SuperVels I think in the early 70s) she tamed their recoil easily for me. She was my first N frame and largely the primary influence on my selection of the 4" model 57, .41mag as my primary duty weapon when I began working homicides/armed robberies and narcotics.
Enjoy her sir and I do think you have found a keeper there.

Mr. LelandRay, thanks for your kind words earlier and your latest pics (tips my hat). You had me grinning looking at your 6" and then your other fine ladies as well. It is simply impossible for me not to drool a bit when looking at any of the fine Smith revolvers from the prelock days. I never owned one that did not group well for me, regardless of caliber or frame size, and never found a problem action either. What has always endeared me to the Smiths too was that very little work could turn a good action into an incredible one - without clipping spring coils or backing off on the strain screw.

You guys enjoy them and when you can, please keep the pics coming.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Hey, TG...

The M520 was mostly hand tuned by the factory, considering the very persnickety folks they were being made for. Thus, I've never found one with a bad action, even though I've seen and handled but a few.

Truth to tell, in my old age I've tried to stick to light recoil but with as much punch as possible, and the big old N frame .357s fit the bill perfectly.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Oh me Mr.LelandRay that M-520 is one real beauty. I would give my eye teeth for. I have seen and handled one in my 62yrs here and it wasn't for sale for any amount of money. Great pictures as usual. Now I am going back and drool somemore.

Best,Baldy.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the right side of the frame in the front my M28 it is stamped " Made in USA, under that it is stamped, ' Marcas Registradas" un der that "Smith & wesson etc. I don't have another S&W here right now to check. Is that "Marcas Registrada" normal on them?

I don't think I can afford an HP and N Frame addiction, but I don't have a 45colt or 41magnium in my collection yet. However I still have money left over from not buying the Harley, Heh heh, heh.
I need to stop buying guns and order this Diloln Press. Oh yeah, I need to locate my box of model paint for the front sights on my FN/HP 40cal and this M28.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. the "Marcas Registrada" is normal on the S&W. It is my understanding that in Spain, where many cheap S&W copies were at one time made, those companies are not in violation of the law unless the item they're copying has this written in Spanish on them...or something similar to this is the reason.

Best.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello, flusher. I suspect strongly that you will really enjoy that 6" Model 28. I am a devoted fan of these revolvers but still cannot make up my mind which I like best, the 4 or 6" versions of this revolver.

I figure that Spikey will like the 4" gun very much.

These grand old workhorse N-frames are just a peach to shoot with full-power loads and can be very accurate, in my opinion because of the reduced felt recoil.

This Model 28 was purchased at a good price from a friend and is in like-new condition. The action (DA) needed a little work but this has been taken care and the gun runs nicely.

This 6" M-28 had been fired LOTS with .38 Special by its previous owner based on how nearly impossible it was to eject magnum cases before I really scrubbed out the cylinder. It also hit high with the sights as I bought it. I think that the previous owner had a taller rear sight blade in the gun. I replaced it with a considerably lower one and got the adjustment needed so that POA matches POI at to about 50 yards using 158-gr. 357 loads. Bargains and grand ol' guns can be had, but this sort of thing can sometimes be a nuisance accompanying them.

The action on this used (lightly) old "S" series M28 is as good as I have on any revolver. It SHOOTS nicely and is one revolver that I don't think I could be talked out of very easily.

In my opinion, the Model 28 .357 Magnum remains one of the most robust "using guns" I've ever shot. Though I cannot do it and probably never will, I have seen Lt. Reeves Jungkind (Retired, Texas DPS and the same Reeves Jungkind of Colt Python fame) shoot some INCREDIBLY small groups at 50 yards using both one-hand and two-hands double-action with a slicked up 4" Model 28 from a standing & unsupported stance. He was head firearm instructor for DPS and the M28 was standard issue to the troops. He told me that he seldom had to repair them DESPITE less than good treatment from the troopers in several instances. (When they brought in a dirty or rusted M28 for him to "fix", it is my understanding that he always did...and that their trousers were somewhat looser when they left due to some serious chewing on their rear ends! (From what I witnessed in a firearms class under him, it is akin to sitting down in an upturned gasoline-powered lawnmower while its running!)

I regret that this most useable revolver is no longer made by S&W. For those wanting them, I'd suggest getting them while we can.

Best.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hi all,

These N-frames are really attractive... we seldom see them here. In about 20 years of gun fever, I have been in the position to buy 2 M-27 6" (at 1600 and 890 francs if memory serves), 1 M-28 4" (NIB 1400 francs) and 1 .38-44 HD 4" (maybe 800 francs) and I didn't crack for any. I should have for the M-28 or the HD but wasn't really in N-frames at that time. The tappered barrel is great, my M-10 Military & Police is rigged so and it made decide for a M-15 Combat Masterpiece against a M-19 Combat Magnum.

Enjoy and shoot!

L.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Mr. Camp- Beautiful 28's. How do you get such a shine on the bluing? I have a 4" and a 6" both made in the seventies but they don't shine like that! All of you have great Smiths and good luck with yours Spikey. (I don't think the hammer will bite you with this one.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I am not much of an S&W historian (nor Hi Power or any other firearm) but according to folks over at the S&W Forum, some of the Model 28's had a nearly gloss blue finish though most had the matte blue we're all probably most familiar with. I have no idea which had the less matte-type finish but suspect that it was the 60's vintage ones.

Best.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy folks,

I have no idea if this reference will help at all. But I bought my 4" m28 in early 73, and the 6" one later in 73 or early 74. Both of mine had the matte finish, which was actually a plus to me.

Hope it might help some anyway.

twoguns

P.S. All you folks and your pics are making me drool. I may have to add a couple of N frames to my list of need to finds now too. Nah, scratch "may", I need to definitely, lol.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Flusher,

Enjoy you two new ladies when they come in sir. After shooting them, please share your thoughts with us.

twoguns

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My M28 is an N series and has the bright blue finish. Except for the top strap which is a matte finish. I really don't care what finish it has right now. I am really enjoying this N frame fasination. As long as you guys keep showing those photo's this too will never end. I am still thinking of having it refinished. Thanks guys for all the interest and opinions.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts