Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what my wife got me for Christmas. I had been looking for some time and had found a couple but not in the condition I was wanting. She called her brother in Fla. and he bought one from a friend of his that was selling his. Brought it up to Ky when he came for Christmas and was I surprised to get it. M28-2 4" SN S277XXX, pinned bbl, recessed cylinder, magna diamond grips that match the SN's to the gun, for $350. Doesn't appear to have been holstered much, lock-up is tight, bore is bright and shinny, no box or papers, but I'm one happy guy

Papabear

You have seen what she got me but here is what I got her, a 7 week old registered American Eskimo puppy, trust me, it cost me almost twice what the 28-2 did, but I was happy to get it for her, we all have a price to pay for our freedom.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello, sir. I do enjoy shooting Model 28's and it looks like you have a very nice example of one, thanks to your wife. To me it appears that you have two keepers and both would definitely be worth having! Congratulations.

Best.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Very nice indeed. I think that for $350 including delivery you have one great brother-in-law! Great example of the classic S&W which is getting harder to find every day. Best keep that wife around for a while.

PGM

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello papabear,

That is indeed one fine Classic Revolver and a great gift from your wife!

S&W Model 28's in that condition are indeed getting rarer and rarer to come by. I hope that you can favor us with a range report when you get a chance.

We'd love to hear how it shoots!

Chris

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris,

Went to the woods this morning and shot my 28-2, shot at a 9" paper plate one handed at 10 yards, everything was inside the paper plate. It shoots POA and very little flip with .357 ammo, also shot some .38+P with next to no flip, I wish had gotten a 28 years ago, I really like the way it shoots and handles and feels in my hand. The weight and balance of the 4" Highway Patrolman is fantastic. Now I going to have to look for a 6", which I understand is a little easier to find. If you like the heft of a "N" frame the model 28 is one heck of a revolver, I'm going to enjoy shooting this one for years to come.

Papabear

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello papabear,

The M-28 sounds like a fine revolver. I really enjoy S&W N-frames as well and they do hell "tame" heavy loads. The 4" Highway Patrolman was designed to be carried and yours sounds like it is a very capable specimen. I hope that you are able to find a 6" barreled "companion" piece.

Your wife gave you a great Christmas Present and please pass along that your wife's new Alaskan Eskimo puppy is certainly cute too!

All the best and congradulations!

Chris

G

·
On a non-gun-related note, that happens to be my favorite kind of dog in the whole world, and I've had a half a dozen in my lifetime. The last one I had died recently, though.

Back to the gun:

I love the old 28s. They don't have quite the same place in my heart as the 19 does, but they're up there. Let me recommend Speer's 158 gr. Gold Dots. In a revolver that heavy, the recoil won't be quite so murderous, and they give fantastic penetration, with decent expansion. From just my snub 19, I saw one of these bad boys split a Milk Jug wetpack in half, and blow the contents so far in three directions, that I couldn't test any more rounds in it! when I recovered the bullet, it had expanded to .41," at its widest point, and had retained its jacket, despite striking a rock on the other side of the jug. Considering that they'd be controllable from a gun like that, and both penetrate and expand more efficiently, I bet they'd be downright lethal, in practiced hands.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On a non-gun-related note, that happens to be my favorite kind of dog in the whole world, and I've had a half a dozen in my lifetime. The last one I had died recently, though.
chubbypigeon,

Sorry for your loss, we just had to put down our 15 yr old cat, so my wife asked for a puppy and some friends of ours made me an offer I couldn't refuse, she is now 8 weeks old and pretty much potty trained, and a pure joy to have.

Appreciate the FYI on the Speer 158gr Gold Dots, I'll check em out!!! ;),
Thanks!

Papabear

·
Registered
399 Posts
I see you have an Angel for a wife there Papabear. That was not a easy find here in my part of Florida for that kind of money. I know I been looking all over for some old S&W. I am glad you got it and I know you will enjoy it. Good luck.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see you have an Angel for a wife there Papabear. That was not a easy find here in my part of Florida for that kind of money. I know I been looking all over for some old S&W.
baldy,

Thanks for your comments, and yes I do have a Angle for a wife. As for the M28-2 at $350, it came from the Panhandle area of FL, from a guy that my brother-in-law and I do gun shows with in that area from Tallahassee to Pensacola and even up to Dothan AL. I go down there now [from KY] for about 2-3 shows a year, but use to go down for 6-8 shows a year, price of gas and cost of shows has slowed me down some. The guy that sold it had bought it for $300 from a walk-in and was asking $400 for it originally at a couple of the shows there, but I didn't know anything about it. He lives in the same town that my brother-in-law does and when he found out that I was looking for a 28-2 he contacted my brother-in-law and offered it for $350 and that is the only reason I got it at that price. On one particular handgun he and I have traded or sold it to each other twice, I have had it twice and he has had it twice, and now he is wanting it back again. :) Ain't this a great hobby, however, my wife calls it an "Accumulation" but she lets me do my thing.

Papabear

·
Registered
800 Posts
I wish my NEW wife enjoyed my hobby like she pretented to befor we got married. Anyway great wife and a fine looking gun. I plan on that being my birthday purchase gun.

G

·
Well, at least my fiance is making no bones about it. She's bloody terrified of guns, but doesn't care how many I have, so long as I don't expect her to join me at the range.

More ammo for me, I suppose.

I do intend to leave my Model 19 at home, loaded, when I'm at work, though. I figure she can swallow her fear long enough to dig it out, shove it into a rapist's gut, and pull the trigger six times.

G

·
I've "broken in" several women on guns with a single-shot .22 with a scope and a bunch of tin cans. There's probably the odd one that is so hoplessly paranoid that they won't touch a firearm of any kind, but most will find them fun if they give it a chance.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nevadaalan,

I agree 100% on the .22 single-shot with a scope, exactly how she got started, we were in FL where her brother lives and the three of us went to the range not long after we were married [Dec 2001] and she actually enjoyed shooting the .22, as a matter of fact she even shot my M1 Carbine and one of my Victory Model .38 s&w [38/200] and liked it. She now has her own Bulgie Makarov 9x18 and a CZ 452 ZKM Special rifle. Can't get her to do gun shows with me though, but she as been with me a couple times at local shows. Its great having a wife that likes to shoot, and she is a pretty darn good shot too.

Papabear

G

·
Eh, it's a bit more complicated for me. She had a revolver pulled on her by some psycho trying to prove he was a man, and now has a legitimate phobia. If she gets too close to a handgun -- especially a revolver (why me?) -- for too long, she will literally break down, curl into a fetal position, and cry. I've seen it happen.

Oddly enough, though, holstered guns, especially on LEOs, don't bother her that much. That makes it less of an issue than you'd think, really. She'll give me a hug, or whatever, if I'm only wearing a gun, but the instant it comes out of the holster, she leaves the room.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She had a revolver pulled on her by some psycho trying to prove he was a man, and now has a legitimate phobia. If she gets too close to a handgun -- especially a revolver (why me?) -- for too long, she will literally break down, curl into a fetal position, and cry. I've seen it happen.
cubbypigeon,

That's totally sad, I know a lady that was raped at gun point and she is the same way around guns, she just can't handle it, however, the BG while doing his time for the crime was killed in prison and at least she knows he can't harm her any more; but the sight of a gun even in a movie will get her upset, so I can understand why your fiance has a phobia about revolvers. This lady finally did get married after a few years and they have a beautiful little girl, however, there are no guns allowed in their home. At least the BG got his just reward.
Papabear

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Papabear,

Congradulations on your model 28, and you wife. They are both keepers. When I first became a cop I was the smallest thing my town had seen in uniform by about 6" and 50 pounds. I was 5'10" and 160 at the time. My first duty weapon was your model 28. Wish I had kept it but oh well.

Chubby,
Just be patient, she might surprise you one day. When I began dating my now second ex-wife, she told me she found her father after he committed suicide with a 1911. She knew what I did, and that I carried a gun, but I made a point of never letting her see it, out of respect. That job required me to travel frequently, and every weekend when I was home I would hit the gun range. I would just say, I have to do something, I will see you later.

One day as I started out she asked - aren't you ever going to teach me how to shoot? I know you are going to go shoot, will you take me. I started her out with a 3" HB model 36 I had in my safe that day. I threw about 100 rds of wadcutters in my range box, that already had about 300 rd of HPs. I coached her, and watched her shoot a bit. I knew she had never held a gun before, and was amazed at how easily she was adjusting to it.

She finally smiled and said go on and shoot, I am ok now. I was in the next booth and began shooting my BHP. I checked on her often, but she was always smiling, and her target was starting to look pretty darn good.

She tapped me on the shoulder and said hon, do you have anymore ammo for this thing. I said yeah, but they are a lot hotter than what you have been shooting. When I looked in my box, she had already gone through all 400 rounds was just grinning when I looked up. I had to do some serious reloading that night, so we could shoot Sunday too. All in all, I created a monster who could go through ammo like mad, and one hell of a shot. She started out with a model 60 I got her, then moved up to a 3913 when I got transferred to south FL, with another agency.

Just keep being yourself, and she might surprise you one day. Maybe, maybe not. I do wish her luck though.

As far as the BG - it has been my experience over 35 years, that inmates simply do not care for rapists and child molestors. Very often any prison term one of them is given, ends up with an unofficial death penalty attached. I would be lying if I said that really bothered me at all. So believe it or not, there really is SOME honor among criminals. They do seem to have their own code, one is wise not to violate. Violate their code and they don't mess with trying to rehabilitate you, they simply kill you.

twoguns

G

·
Miracle of miracles, folks. My having this discussion here prompted me to talk about the issue with her, and she volunteered to try to start small -- very small. All I need now is an airsoft gun and a .22 target pistol.

She said she wanted to try to start out with a BB gun. I figure I can let her have some fun with the airsoft, then move to a .22, if she can stand it. Even if I can only get her to "stand" shooting the really small calibers, at least she might get used to being around guns, a bit more. Heck, if I can get her to tote some kind of eight shot .22 J-frame, or a some kind of .25 or .32 caliber auto, provided I can find one that's reliable for her, that's still a lot better than a lousy tazer or a can of pepper spray. Considering this woman has jumped out of an airplane for fun, before, though, think I might be able to get her on up to the serious calibers, given enough time.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Chubby,

That is great news, and a good starting idea as well.

Just an observation I will make on those 3 calibers you mentioned. Others may disagree, and I know my comments come from 20 years ago, and ammo has developed since then. In the early 70s I was a local and worked homicides/major felonies for roughly 15 years. We had a state law requiring any medical facility to report gunshot cases.

I was maybe a 5 minute drive (without lights and siren) from the hospital. I never had a shooting victim who stated they had been shot with a .25 or .32 still present upon arrival. Once they learned a cop was enroute, they simply got up and walked out.

Over 50% of my gunshot autopsies resulted from the 22lr round.

As I say, I know ammo has progressed since the mid 80s, but I wanted to pass it along to you anyway. Others may have more positive experiences with those two auto rounds. Hopefully they will speak up if they do.

Just be patient with her Chubby, she sounds spunky, which is a very good thing. The only downside to this is everytime my now ex got really mad at me, I kept thinking about how well she shot her guns - thanks to me, lol. I probably did not sleep as well those nights as she did.

Hope it helps.

twoguns

1 - 20 of 21 Posts