Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to try a bunch of stuff out at the DOE/NTC SPOTC a few weeks ago.

Liked the M&Ps in 9/40/45 better than the HKs (and Glocks and FNPs).

HK squeezed the mag/grip on the HK45 so you get 10 rounds in a mag/grip that is narrower side to side than a USP, but holds 2 less rounds (10 v 12) in a grip/mag that is longer top to bottom. Did not like that.

The HK45c was nice, about the same size as a USP45c, but more like a compact 45ACP P30.

It was easier to run the M&Ps better than the HKs w LEM for me. Better than the Glocks and FNPs too. I know there is a difference between the G21 and G21SF, but I can't feel it.

Liked the M&Ps so much, I picked up four (4) new ones!

Reliable and accurate w Magtech 115/9, 180/40 and 230/45 FMJ, CorBon DPX and Magtech First Defense SCHPS, as well as Speer 124/9 +P, 155/40 and 200/45 +P Gold Dots.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Brokenarrow;

I have all those guns available as well as and XD .45. I pretty much concurr on every point (inclduding the lack of difference in the 21 & 21SF).

Press on,
Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
S&W LE rep said the NM state troopers are switching from Glock 31 to M&P357. Others have said the M&P45... we will see?

Like the XD45, especially the compact frame model. Prefer the M&P45 between the two.

S&W rep said the compact M&P45 will probably be a 3.8 bbl inch 8 shooter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been reading reports of reliability problems with the Glocks on other forums too. For years. NYPD, LAPD, IL and IN SP, etc.

Stuff happens. Or not. ;)

I've been watching the M&P for about two years now and they seem as good as the Glocks, SIGs, and HKs. However good that is; guess it depends on your point of view?

Will be interesting to see how the M&P does in next round of DHS pistol tests in 2009.

Ya know, the test SIG and HK passed, and Glock failed... ;)

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I shot the S&W M&P 45 again yesterday and I like it better than the HK. It has better ergonomics and a lower bore axis. I have found it to be both accurate and reliable. I am not much of an HK fan beyond the P7. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy folks,

This is a very interesting thread, so please respect that not everyone will agree on various handguns. We can express our opinions, but please do it as gentleman too.

I have had the chance to shoot various H&K pistols on our range, when folks carried various models in the past, and at our course every 5 years to be recertified as firearms instructors. Everyone will have a different opinion of guns largely based at least in part on how one feels in their hand, how they shoot it, etc - things they can point too from a personal perspective.

I have always felt H&K pistols were fine handguns. But my hands are not the largest and their grips, regardless of model, have always felt a bit blocky, almost like a 2x4, in my hands. But in fairness so have most Ruger pistols I have shot too. Even with my Sig I have to change out to the short curved trigger in my P226 or the grip and resulting trigger reach is uncomfortably long for me. But H&Ks have just never felt good to me when I was shooting them. Again primarily I think because I do not have big hands.

I have never fired one of the Smith M&P pistols yet, but have handled several in my buddy's gun store. I have no idea how well or poorly I would actually shoot them, and to make a valid compairson to H&K pistols in my view, I would clearly have to shoot both brands. But short of shooting one yet, I do have to admit, with the interchangeable backstraps that come with these various calibers, the Smith does at least feel much better in my hand. Again to be fair, I would have to shoot one and see how it grouped for me to say I felt it shot better for me than an H&K.

But they sell a ton of Fords, Chevy's and other brands everyday here, so folks can drive what they want. It is largely the same to me on handguns too. What feels good to me may feel terrible to someone else, and vice versa.

Nice thread guys, but please keep it on the high road too (tips my hat).

twoguns

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
My shooting buddy is a DUSM and is toying between the S&W M&P and the XD Tactical. He goes back and forth but I think the low cost of XD mags is keeping him with the Springfield. I on the other hand like the M&P better. Now, don't get me wrong, the HK is a fine serious firearm but there may be a reason they make more than one brand. The HKs are popular with certian PDs in the local area as it only costs a little more to go first class. Besides, what would Jack Bauer do?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ya know, the test SIG and HK passed, and Glock failed... ;)
Where is the link for info on that test. Glock failing a reliability test...hah. By the way, I felt one of the M&P.45s... beat the heck out of the way a HK feels to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
BrokenArrow,

Thanks for the report.

I'm currently considering an FNP-9 Single Action Only, and was interested in getting any specific comments you would have on the FNPs that you shot/handled. Which models? What characteristics did you like about them? What did you dislike? Am particularly interested in trigger characteristics.

Thanks in advance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Put the small grip on my M&P 45s and they feel even better (had been shooting w the med grip). The small grip on the 45 feels like the med grip on the 9/40.

The FNP is nice. Shot the DA/SA decock 9/40, liked the 9 better. Liked the EMS (extended modular rails) and modular fire control system. Easy for an armorer/owner to repair/replace anything on the gun quick and easy. Trigger? I'm not as picky as most; don't notice unless it's bad. The FNP seemed as good as the SIGs and HKs DA/SA.

FN is working an a new striker fired pistol BTW. That's where the LE/military market is now: DAO or striker fired. The FNPs DAO is OK, but not as good as SIGs DAK or HKs LEM. The RSS (repeatable secure striker) DAO on the old FN Forty Nine was too long/heavy for most.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts