Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I order grips for the 28 & 25-5 check me on what fits speed loaders. Is below correct ?

Target grips won't clear speed loaders
Target grips cut for speed loaders will clear speed loaders
Magna grips not target will they clear ?
Regular N frame grips will clear.

Have been haunting the auction sites and find they are all pretty expensive or questionable condition plus need a pair. Since I am shooting not collecting may end up with reproductions from gungrip.com He stocks all 4

Prefer the magna grip if it will clear speed loaders and add Tyler's T grip.

Thanks, Boats

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Boats,

Some target grips will clear the speed loaders as they were cut for them. Some won't. Thus it depends.

The standard (Magnas?) grips will clear and the T-grip is not in the way.

Hogues (those rubber things) are cut for speed loaders and while outsized a bit, do work well provided the weather is dry and you don't get oil on them. They can get a bit slick then.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Boats,

My experience is very similar to Mr. Oberstlt. The standard (smaller) grips worked fine with HKS speedloaders. The N frames that I bought that came with target grips were all cut for speedloaders. But that could simply be the style of target grip Smith was using during that period as well. Both all Pachmayrs and Hogues that I have ever purchased for Smiths have been cut for speedloaders too.

Hope this might help a little anyway sir.

twoguns

·
Registered
932 Posts
In my experience, thicker wood grips, even when relieved for speed loaders are a bit difficult to get the bullet noses to start into the cylinders. These require the speedloader being fed in from the side and then pushed into the cylinder as opposed to simply pushing straight in. I've been known to do my own modifications to make them work a bit easier.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks both, Looks like I found a couple of original S&W grips and T Grips to match off the S&W board.

By the way mentioned the 28 had some fail to ignite. With the Pach's off found the mainspring tension screw was loose. took a half turn and now it ignites perfect.

Boats

1 - 5 of 5 Posts