Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm thinking again about a snubbie and since I will be shooting CZ PCR (9mm) soon, I was considering the 940 -1(9mm) 2". My research online reveals extraction problems with many loads on the 940 early models.
Anyone use 940 -1 without extraction issues with factory ammo, either
115 gr JHP or 124 gr JHP?
Many users say that moonclips are faster reloading than speed loaders; I liked them on the 1917 Smith 45 ACP I had.
Assuming that the -1 is reliable, the issue is finding one -- saw two on gunaction @$955. each!

Thanks in advance, MRMonk

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hiyas! And Welcome!

I've had a 940-1 for some years now. Love it! I think I spent $265 on mine.

The ammo issues. Basically, forget using Federal ammo or brass. That includes Cor-Bon and Speer.

No problems with Winchester and Remington. After 20-30 rounds the dirtier USA stuff starts sticking slightly.

A friend with a no-dash has fewer problems with Federal. It still sticks a little (and gets worse with each reload) but he tolerates it. Not me. RemChester works just fine and I see no point in forcing things. People will quit using certain ammo in their autos if it jams, but for some reason demand that a revolver function with everything on the market. Illogical.

Get the moon clips direct from S&W; they're cheap and its not worth dealing with the aftermarket stuff. And yes, they're faster than speedloaders and fumble-free. No chance a rim will slip under the extractor and cause a major stoppage. Even with the short ejector rod the empties clear.

[ETA] One other minor issue is the 940 doesn't fit in a Fobus paddle holster. Even the new version for the fatter barrels won't work because the rib is wider. The Uncle Mikes paddle fits fine, as do all the leather rigs I've tried. Worth mentioning to the maker if you order a custom kydex rig.

Now, the good stuff:

Every one I've handled had the lightest and smoothest triggers I've ever seen from S&W.

9mm +P 124gr Golden Sabres almost hit 1200fps from it. Thats serious power from a pocket revolver. Much less hate and discontent than firing a .357 in the same size gun.

Most other ammo loses maybe 50-80 FPS compared to a 4" auto. A fellow I corresponded with in Ohio had one with a 3" barrel that consistantly clocked faster than his autos.

It's more accurate than I am. I've seen folks shoot some amazing groups with one.

No, it's not for sale. :) I saw one NIB at a show a year ago or maybe two for around $450. A used one sold locally for $350. I was tempted.

Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks pff; your reply is excellent information. I am encouraged to proceed with a search for a 940-1 based on your high regard for the 940.
How can I tell the difference between a -1 and a no dash 940 without the paperwork or box? I read that the barrel length was slightly increased from 1 7/8" to 2 1/8" and that the change on all j frames to -1 was 1995/96.
Is it obvious? since I have not seen a 940 in person, I don't want to get the no dash by mistake. I'm probably going to make the purchase online (no local sources). I'm confused too by reading that the 940 is heavier than 640 by 6 oz-- is that true? that may have been referring to the three inch barrel model but that still seems a big difference. Anyway, thanks again. MRMonk

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hiyas!

The model number is stamped inside the crane cutout, along with the dash number.

My 940-1 has a 1 7/8" barrel. The -1 indicates the changed extractor star.

The 2 1/8" came later on the 640 when they stretched the frame to take .357s, the new one being the 640-1.

The 940 is slightly heavier than the 640 according to the Standard Handboook. Ounce or two, prolly due to barrel profile but I don't know that as I don't have a 640 to compare with.

Dash numbers don't correlate across model numbers. At the time the 940 changed to a -1 for the extractor change (1994), the Model 60 was at -8 for the same mod.

They are seriously neat little guns.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
898 Posts
I've told this story before so bear with me. When my gunsmith got me that model 940 cylinder to fit up to my Model 37, it was oversized in some dimensions, and the chambers needed polishing. After getting the external work done I concentrated on slicking up those chamber walls. Now, most of my shooting of this gun has been with reduced power handloads, but at no time has this gun showed the first signs of sticky extraction issues.

Wonder if a careful buffing of any such obstinant M940 cylinders wouldn't be a good idea...?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 940 no dash slim barrel. Picked it up used and in great shape. It did have sticky ejection with + P rounds after 50 or so rounds. Not much trouble with standard ammo. I spent time on the chambers with JB bore paste and a brush powered by an electric drill on low speed. This helped a great deal. Do be careful if you go this route go slow and check you work often. Great Gun.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have both a 940 and a 640. The 940 barrel is cylindrical whilst the 640 barrel is tapered. Sometimes have sticking problems with certain ammunition. Have to keep the cylinders clean to avoid sticking. Have also used Ranch Products moon clips with good results. Passed up a 3" barreled 940 a few months ago and a 940 cylinder and barrel. Sometimes I do dumb things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts