Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
You don't mention the price. CDNN has these now for $279.00, IIRC (or maybe it's up to $299.00 for the 6906 and $279.00 for the 6946 . . .).

Anyway, great gun - buy it. :)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Why would you pay tax on an out-of-state sale? Is your local state that onerous? Here, I'd just have to pay tax on the transfer fee.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good gun. I've owned one for many years and competed with it for one season in the local IPSC matches. Great sights (Novaks) trigger, and very accurate for a stock gun. Downside: extractor sheared off at 15,000 rounds and the trigger bar broke at about 30,000 rounds. Both were fixed promptly by S&W, free of charge.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My issued duty gun for several years was a 6904 which is the blued, alloy frame version of the 6906. Now that I'm retired my 6904 is my normal retiree carry gun. When we were issued 6904 (for plain clothes) and 5904 for uniform we found, generally, the average 6904 was a shade more accurate than the average 5904. Not by much but a shade. The average shooter wouldn't be able to tell the difference. 2"-3" groups at 25 yds was very normal groups with duty ammo. We'd occasionally find a 6904 that would do sub 1" groups.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My issued duty gun for several years was a 6904 which is the blued, alloy frame version of the 6906. Now that I'm retired my 6904 is my normal retiree carry gun. When we were issued 6904 (for plain clothes) and 5904 for uniform we found, generally, the average 6904 was a shade more accurate than the average 5904. Not by much but a shade. The average shooter wouldn't be able to tell the difference. 2"-3" groups at 25 yds was very normal groups with duty ammo. We'd occasionally find a 6904 that would do sub 1" groups.
I own the short S&W 9mm and .45 and also the longer versions of each pistol and find the short barrel guns to be much more accurate than the four and five inch versions. For those having trouble with the dimensions of S&Ws there are two different grips available. I have small hands but have no problem with the 6906.
A bit of advice: buy some 5906 15 round mags for back up / reloading. They fit, just stick out a bit, and hold 15 rounds instead of the stock 12. Do not attempt speed reloading drills with the stock 12 round mag! The base plate will trap a piece of your palm between it and the frame; it hurts!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are a nice package. I like them, but with the curved backstrap on that short of a grip they don't point well for me. With a straight backstrap I think I'd like it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They are a nice package. I like them, but with the curved backstrap on that short of a grip they don't point well for me. With a straight backstrap I think I'd like it.
Extra back staps are relatively cheap and easy to install.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote:eek:r67d45i]They are a nice package. I like them, but with the curved backstrap on that short of a grip they don't point well for me. With a straight backstrap I think I'd like it.
Extra back staps are relatively cheap and easy to install.[/quote:eek:r67d45i]

Yup. My other 3rd gens are .40s (although I prefer 9mm). At some point I'd like to add a 5906 and possibly a 6906. Both would get straight backstraps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts