Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know when S&W started and stopped making the model 66 with a 3" barrel. I've run across one at a shop and wanted to know if it was rare model. I've never seen one before, but I have seen it listed in the 98 Gun Digest.

What about the numbers? Just to let you know it has custom wood grips and they are "asking" $375.00. Is that a good price. it looks and feels good but I haven't fired it yet.

I have a S&W M28 on hold with a deposit and they are waiting for my decision for the M66.

Did I mention I am a HIPOWERAHOLIC
....This is all I need :-/

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think that's a great price. I've seen them for more than that. If you don't want it, please email me and I will buy it. I've always wanted one of those.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Spikey614,

+1 sir, I too think it is a great offer you are looking at. I can not tell you how rare they are exactly, but I will tell you I have only seen one in movies, never in person. Alot of 2.5" ones, but never a 3" in person.

If it were me (I assume this one does not have the lock) I would be jumping at it for sure. If I walked into a store here and found one, it would be coming home with me.

Let us know if it ends up finding a new home or not. If it does, I look forward to reading your range report.

twoguns

·
Registered
296 Posts
I meant to add that my neighbor has a 3" Mod. 66. He got it cheap too and I cannot talk him out of it. I'd love to have one. My wish gun now is a 3.5" Mod. 27.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Find one, buy it at any even halfway reasonable price. The 3" barrel added to S&W dropping all K-frame 357's means one thing-expect the value to increase.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mr.Spikey614..

While not a 66, I have a 3" Model 65..a couple of friends have 66's. The folks above are correct. The value will only go up on that 66. "K" frames are wonderful on many levels. Getting a 357 with a 3" bbl in "K" frame would be a good move!

I'm looking for a 66 myself, but as others have said, it's a rare day you locate one. As Twoguns requested, please post a range report if you get this beauty.

·
Registered
23 Posts
spikey614, the S&W 3" 66 was a special run from S&W for I think for Lew Horton Distributing or RSW dont know for sure. I think they needed 3000 to 6000 revolvers for the runs. Both the 66 and 686 was made in 3" barrel. They are pre key lock but the barrel are not pin. The only one that would know how many was made is S&W. I have two of them and NO I WILL NOT PART WITH THEM!

·
Registered
23 Posts
spikey614, I check Lew Horton Distributing web page the got S&W 686 3" plus for $830 suggested retail price.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The Model 66-2 3 inch made for Ashland Arms 1985 ALU sec# prefix. 1985 full lug 3 inch. ( this would be interesting ) 2001 66-5 stocking dealer special 3.25 inch ( I have one of these great gun took off the Hi Vis sight and put on a gold bead ) No lock. Model 66-6 Davidsons special 2004 this one has the lock. There may be others that I missed but the gun you are looking at should be one of these. By the way great gun at a great price. Let us know if you get it. Best

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I let one of the forum members get it. I was at the store looking for a gun for him anyway so I gave him first pick on it. I never would have found it if I wasn't looking for another one he asked me to look for. Ethic's, integrity, honesty. Darn I wish I didn't have those qualities! But I do have the S&W M28 now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts